Hey guys,

I'm after a decent set of these as my current ones are on the blink. I don't mind spending extra for quality if justified as well. What's the current consensus on a good set of scales for espresso? Will need an inbuilt timer with my impending move to a lever machine too.

TIA.

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Coffee Gator :good:

Scale up to 3kg, timer, automatic back light, water efferent design (not water proof, though), reasonably priced.

Only thing it doesn't do: it won't start timer when weight is applied.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

I have the following which are fast and seem accurate when checked with a 100g calibration weight they were 0.24g out, so not to bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenTour-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Multifunction/dp/B07D7P7MJJ

MWJB recommends the following which if he says they're good you can be assured they're good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Digital-Pocket-Scale-Germany/dp/B00W3JSKGM/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1542908364&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dipse%2Bscale&th=1&psc=1

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

These are best if your PF & dose don't total more than 500g (like with the 54mm Sage parts).

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

These are best if your PF & dose don't total more than 500g (like with the 54mm Sage parts).
Was just about to point that out.

I also have a similar set, a regular e61 PF has about 500g or more (depending on spouts or bottomless...). You can trick it by placing PF before switching it on.

A small Chemex usually takes it to its limits, as well. Here tricks won't work anymore.

And OP asked for integrated timer function

says Hasi.

[quote name='Hasi'][URL]https://coffeegator.com/collections/featured/products/multifunction-coffee-brewing-scales[/URL] ;)[/QUOTE] @Hasi would they comfortably fit on a drip tray?

I bought a set of these. For my use they don't offer much over the usual scales and the tare button. I did check them over eg weighing a portafilter, tarring and adding £1 coins etc and they do seem to be pretty accurate. Rather than sending them back I decided to keep them as a spare.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CNYS868/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure that the reviews are entirely fair - selecting modes will need some button pushing. Maybe the manual is available on line.

Dicky scales can just mean that they need calibrating again - depends what the fault is.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

[quote name='Jony']Yet again it's down to budget.[/QUOTE] @Jony I guess ~£100 would be my upper limit

I have the following which are fast and seem accurate when checked with a 100g calibration weight they were 0.24g out, so not to bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenTour-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Multifunction/dp/B07D7P7MJJ

MWJB recommends the following which if he says they're good you can be assured they're good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Digital-Pocket-Scale-Germany/dp/B00W3JSKGM/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1542908364&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dipse%2Bscale&th=1&psc=1

No timer on either mind...

[quote name='MWJB']These are best if your PF & dose don't total more than 500g (like with the 54mm Sage parts).[/QUOTE] @MWJB being as I have a niche I never weigh the PF anyway

I bought a set of these. For my use they don't offer much over the usual scales and the tare button. I did check them over eg weighing a portafilter, tarring and adding £1 coins etc and they do seem to be pretty accurate. Rather than sending them back I decided to keep them as a spare.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CNYS868/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure that the reviews are entirely fair - selecting modes will need some button pushing. Maybe the manual is available on line.

Dicky scales can just mean that they need calibrating again - depends what the fault is.

John

-

My only concern with these is lack of a manual mode, I don't want to time from first drip hitting the cup but rather total extraction time.

No timer on either mind...

I find 2 tracking sets of numbers, rising at a similar rate, distracting. I only look at the timer twice - once when hitting brew button, again when time to kill the brew, a separate timer is easier for me.

Personally I wouldn't spend this much but these cover the usual things. There are a number of coffee scales about often also coping with drip weights. The first set of the price range many use I bought had a 600g range. Used on the BE. Fine until I wanted to weigh an entire drink and also changed mugs.

https://www.horshamcoffeeroaster.co.uk/products/brewista-smart-espresso-scale-v2?variant=2265290702869&utm_campaign=gs-2018-09-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9sq5udSL3wIV7b3tCh2SDgflEAQYAyABEgImkvD_BwE

The nano coating is probably a conformal coating on the electronics inside - something espresso machines seem to always lack.

Personally I use some school etc portable laboratory scales mainly because I needed to split some small packs of beans out of an advent calender 3 ways and the usual cheapish stuff clearly didn't do it accurately enough. Even these currently need recalibration as they can no longer tot up the 0.05g weight on the end of a £1 coins correctly as they are added. They weigh to 0.1g. In my view adequate for coffee. ;) Others see things differently. Given individual bean weights I can't see the extra digit over that being worth while as I generally weigh beans in.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

They weigh to 0.1g. In my view adequate for coffee. ;) Others see things differently. Given individual bean weights I can't see the extra digit over that being worth while as I generally weigh beans in.

John

-

.01g scales react faster & 0.1g resolution scales often rise in multiple of 0.2 or 0.3, not smoothly. So I find 0.01g scales save me time.

[quote name='ATZ']@Hasi would they comfortably fit on a drip tray?[/QUOTE]I haven't seen a set that 'comfortably' fits on a drip tray. Of a prosumer machine at least. But these are a bit bulkier than the upper class gadgets, to be honest. If going bottomless I don't have an issue placing a 200ml cup in between on my Rocket. But scales sit sideways on drip tray so I wouldn't accidentally use em as catapult... [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181206/f05c7ba094261815a348d666aa842b05.jpg[/IMG] Yes the machine is off, yes it's dirty... demonstration purposes only! Going to clean it when cool, later on. Promised.

says Hasi.

I haven't seen a set that 'comfortably' fits on a drip tray. Of a prosumer machine at least.

But these are a bit bulkier than the upper class gadgets, to be honest.

If going bottomless I don't have an issue placing a 200ml cup in between on my Rocket. But scales sit sideways on drip tray so I wouldn't accidentally use em as catapult...

f05c7ba094261815a348d666aa842b05.jpg

Yes the machine is off, yes it's dirty... demonstration purposes only! Going to clean it when cool, later on. Promised.

I can see me ending up just getting some Acacia Pearl scales at this rate. :whistle:

I can see me ending up just getting some Acacia Pearl scales at this rate. :whistle:
When funds are plenty go ahead!

1 Pearl = 5 Coffee Gators... :whistle:

says Hasi.

Please don't anyone take this personally and buy what you wish to buy, but I have an issue with anything from Coffee Gator as its a complete flouting of intellectual property, as they blantantly rip off other manufacturers products.

I used to work in manufacturing in China and saw this all too often. I'm retired now, but as a consumer its not something I'm happy about or would encourage people to support.

Up to you at the end of the day, but just wanted to highlight it.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

The same scales are also available from Amazon for less than half the price Amazon UK sells the coffee gator ones for:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HIYT-Digital-Function-Batteries-Included/dp/B07D4N3M4C/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3_ccp_nc?

I wasn't a particular fan of them... They are huge for espresso scales and I had a couple of other gripes like the timer immediately reading one second as soon as its pressed.

Please don't anyone take this personally and buy what you wish to buy, but I have an issue with anything from Coffee Gator as its a complete flouting of intellectual property, as they blantantly rip off other manufacturers products.

I used to work in manufacturing in China and saw this all too often. I'm retired now, but as a consumer its not something I'm happy about or would encourage people to support.

Up to you at the end of the day, but just wanted to highlight it.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

That's interesting, please elaborate!

says Hasi.