IGNORED

Dead mouse / rat stuck in a wall / loft

A few weeks ago we started hearing scratching noises around the loft area, there's no access but I could easily pin point their access area and where they move about. It's a rented property so the letting agency called up pest control, bloke came out, had a look, set up traps and left. Around a week ago the noise stopped so it was a massive relief, up until last Friday when we started smelling something in the kitchen area. We have done endless amounts of check and simply cannot pinpoint where it's coming from although I'm at this stage sure it's a dead mouse rotting away :/ it now reeks in the entire bungalow, especially if you leave the house for a few hours, still no idea where the stuck animal is, but it's all in the kitchen area so you can imagine how shite the stink location is. We also have a 9 month old in the house and are going away for 2 weeks in 2 weeks :/

Any ideas what to do? Pest control said they would like to help but need access to the loft which I very much doubt the landlord will say yes to. We've bought Neutradol to see if we can kill the smell somehow, opening windows doesn't help much, I've got an air purifier running in the kitchen 24/7 which doesn't help much, same with a dehumidifer (larger unit), again not much help. Smell is absolutely horrible and I'm surprised a small mouse would cause this amount of stench. Might be a rat as neighbours have an issue with rats, but pest control hasn't really found any holes anywhere big enough for a rat to get through...

T.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuck! From experience a rat takes over a week to go from the disgusting smell stage. Not more than 2 weeks. I suppose it depends on the temperature and location. I can’t offer anything more specific than windows open, put a fan on to aid circulation, leave the sink full of cold water with a few sheets of newspaper in. I’m not keen on manufactured air 'fresheners' myself but decent candles might help. It WILL go, even when you think it won’t!

I had mice in my loft last year, I have no idea how the got in. I just put poison down which done the trick after a couple of weeks. It stank in the loft for a little bit but soon cleared.

I found a dried out body this year when moving stuff about in the summer.

Maybe the body is stuck behind the kitchen wall. Hopefully the smell soon goes.

I remembered something else. The smell got worse, and just as I was thinking about moving out it started to lessen. But if you have any doubts and it is intolerable then you probably should ask your landlord for some help.

We had a dead bird die in our chimney a few years back when we were in rented. Stank horrendously for a while but then we started to notice the smell was lessening, eventually went away.

I think fight through the two weeks and have your fingers crossed for when you get back - might well be over the worst by then.

Thanks to everyone who replied, we have someone from the letting agency coming over later today to "inspect" the smell, I think the landlord wants to make an informed decision on whether to cut a hole in the ceiling to get to the loft or leave it be.

Of course as luck would have it the smell has actually died (lol) down a bit, so I wouldn't be surprised if they say it's not that bad. I'm fairly sure the reason for this is the fact that it was close to 0*C overnight, so wherever the dead body is it's more than likely got cold and isn't emitting as much of a stench at this stage.

As it's already been said: yuck :/

T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update, we came back after two weeks and the smell is gone.

Massive celebration...or so I thought as I've started noticing a weirdly high amount of flies in the living room / kitchen area (it's a joint space). First few were a bit odd but I assumed they woke up as we put the heating on in the entire property but I soon realised it's not only a few, they keep coming from somewhere as I regularly kill around 6-10 a day :/ absolutely no idea where the entry point is, but I'm 100% sure it's coming from the loft as all the windows are locked and vent flaps closed. I've got a Zapp racket for flies and mosquitoes, so knocking them down isn't a problem and they are the smaller non-buzzing kind which isn't so annoying, but I'm a bit worried there's hundreds of them and this will go on for months :/

@MildredM Curious if you've ever encountered something similar?

T.

they will look like bluebottles but different. they might be extremely slow. probably cluster flies. they come back to the same house time after time. they live in the fields till the cold weather. will be in the loft. I so you can buy smoke bombs from amazon etc to kill them

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Yup they are smallish, black matt in colour, move about very slowly (or don't even move at all even if you try to kill them). Absolutely no idea how they come in, they just appear out of thin air.

Would love to smoke'em but there's no access to the loft :/

Have I mention that I absolutely hate renting?

T.

tell the landlord matey.....they are definitely cluster flies and it will be the recent cold snap. they come in via the slightest crak or hole. there is nothing you can do but kill them. they are effectively homing flies!

tell the landlord matey.....they are definitely cluster flies and it will be the recent cold snap. they come in via the slightest crak or hole. there is nothing you can do but kill them. they are effectively homing flies!
Yup done so already, although it's through an agency and those w*nkers are rather useless. Personally I'd get a hole saw, drill a 3" hole through the ceiling and drop a fog bomb in, then patch it up.

T.

can you take off. light fitting and see if you can stuff one up there.....they are just the size of a C battery or so

can you take off. light fitting and see if you can stuff one up there.....they are just the size of a C battery or so
Good idea, I'll give it a go. I can also lift the covering panel on the bottom of the kitchen cabinets and stuff a bomb there, all the plasterboards are cut down a wee bit shorter behind the kitchen cabinets, so theoretically I could fog behind them if the bomb is pushed all the way to the back. This might also be the place where the flies enter, although they are typically attracted to light, so I reckon there must be a hole somewhere which they can see light through and go towards it.

T.

While you're at it, squirt some extra hot chilli sauce in those places. It sounds like a wind-up but rodents are super-sensitive to capsaicin and will not come within 50 metres of your house if they detect it. Google "rodents, capsaicin" if in doubt. Bear in mind I'm not talking about a drop of Tabasco. For really taking the Mickey out of the mouse you need some of that "joke grade" chilli sauce with dumb names like 'Arson Fire' etc, widely available on the internet. Ideally 150,000 Scoville units or higher. Don't get it on your skin, let alone in your mouth!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

• 2 weeks later...

So the flies went away pretty much at the same point when I got the fog bombs and fly killer spray. Happy with that of course, but...there's another mouse in the loft :/

Any ideas on how to repel them (in addition to the uber hot chilli stuff already suggested)? I sort of know where the entry point is, so could just spray some stuff there, if such a thing exists / works.

T.

Yeah will most likely do that, just need to pick the right spots to set them up. There's probably a shit ton of them in the area though, so it might take a while. If I had access to the loft it would be an easy task...

As for ultrasonics I've ready many mixed reviews, some say they are great, others that they are useless.

T.