lynxv3

Suppliers with 'Espresso Recipes' for their beans

Good Day All,

As the title suggests I'm looking to buy from a supplier that posts recipes for their coffees. As a noob, I'm probably going through about half a bag of 250g beans just to get it right and at that rate I'm going to be wasting a lot of beans.

Rave do some recipes:

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/single-origin-coffee/products/burundi-masha

(Located at the bottom of the page under 'Recipes')

ESPRESSO (18G VST)

17.5g in

45g out

in 24 to 26 seconds

But not all of their coffee has them and some of them don't have espresso recipes. I know that half the fun is in dialling in your grinder and getting the perfect shot but I'm not at that stage in my experience yet.

Also some beans require different ratios and extraction times to get the best out of them.

So, any recommendations along those lines?

Or should I just pucker up for a 1kg bag and take the hit?

Thanks Everyone!

Lelit Mara PL62 | Eureka Mignion MKII | Motta Distro Tool | Pesado Tamper & BPF

You're probably trying to make a drink that's too finicky, difficult to reproduce.

The recipes you refer to are more brew guides. They describe a brew ratio (sets strength) and a time (very, very rough way of dialling in that will change greatly with different grinders). A recipe usually assumes a ball-park, good result, which can't always be met with just brew ratio & time.

So, focus on the brew ratio.

Use grind to balance the flavour.

Record time but don't kill the shot by time, kill it by weight.

If most of your coffees are sour, no matter what you do with grind, stretch out the brew ratio, rethink if the drinks start to get a bit weak once you have achieved a pleasant shot.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the advice @MWJB! I'm just trying to get in the cup what they say on the packaging blurb, so for that link I posted it would be Grapefruit, Black Tea and Coriander seed..

How many shots/grams would you say you use to achieve a pleasant shot? And do you have any sort of constants you use for dialling in? i.e too sour stretch out the brew ratio..?

From scratch, 5 shots.

Changing bean 3 shots max, usually less.

I don't have milk, nor do I particularly like short shots if they drop into sourness. If you do want either of these things, dial in might be more involved.

I don't change grind an awful lot.

If you have a coffee that is harder to balance & get past sourness, pull this the longest/as long as you need to balance it. Coffees that extract more easily might then just allow a shorter pull.

If the harder to extract coffee is too weak at a balanced ratio, grind finer & see if you can bump up the strength by grinding finer & pulling shorter, without dropping back into sourness.

Based on my experience (and like a lot of things in life) I would say if you can't do it then you will need to spend some time (and coffee) practicing until you can! I always find it difficult to match someone's tasting notes using their exact recipe just because (i) I probably perceive things in a different way (ii) my equipment is going to be different to theirs which will affect the taste. I just use my routine to try to get a taste that I like, starting from 1:2 in 30s and go from there.

When I started out I bought one bean by the kg which meant I had a chance of trying lots of different things with enough beans to give me a chance to dial it in. I think buying a kg is less of a waste than buying 4x250g because you get a chance to dial it in and then get good coffees, rather than going back to 0 with a new bean every 250g.

I think buying a kg is less of a waste than buying 4x250g because you get a chance to dial it in and then get good coffees, rather than going back to 0 with a new bean every 250g.

You shouldn't need to go back to '0' with each new bean. Beans vary, but not that much (unless you're going from a light filter roast, roasted the day before yesterday, to a year old bag of supermarket charcoal). Should just need a little adjustment.

Based on my experience (and like a lot of things in life) I would say if you can't do it then you will need to spend some time (and coffee) practicing until you can! I always find it difficult to match someone's tasting notes using their exact recipe just because (i) I probably perceive things in a different way (ii) my equipment is going to be different to theirs which will affect the taste. I just use my routine to try to get a taste that I like, starting from 1:2 in 30s and go from there.

When I started out I bought one bean by the kg which meant I had a chance of trying lots of different things with enough beans to give me a chance to dial it in. I think buying a kg is less of a waste than buying 4x250g because you get a chance to dial it in and then get good coffees, rather than going back to 0 with a new bean every 250g.

That's what I was thinking with getting a 1kg bag at a time. Super helpful tips though! Thanks for all your insights, it really does make a difference!