Sign in to follow this  
JimBean1

Making coffee with a Sage Creatista Pod Machine

Hi everyone,

For the past two years I've had great fun with my DTP and Mignon and made some great coffee and very satisfying latte art. Now a new chapter as I've swapped the kit for a Sage Creatista pod machine so the family can also make coffee and enjoy it.

I'm determined to get the most out of the machine and I'm sure the various settings and current pod technology can be tweaked and customised to create a decent coffee and even some decent art.

Wondering if there's anyone else on here with one to give me any tips or vice versa.

Cheers

Sage Creatista Plus | Rhinowares Hand Grinder | Bialetti Moka

Which capsules & settings are you currently using?

Did you calibrate the shot settings with scales?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Which capsules & settings are you currently using?

Did you calibrate the shot settings with scales?

@MWJB I haven't really done anything yet, just using up the trial Nespresso pods we got with it and generally having two at a time on very short restretto setting.

Looking for advice on best pods, best processes etc. So far I'm fairly impressed with some of the coffee and also with the auto milk function but pod coffee seems to have a much lighter crema and the milk doesn't necessarily incorporate too well so lots to master. I want to try to get a nice dark crema.

I see there are metal reusable pods available where you can grind your own beans and fill the pods a bit like a mini portafilter so might try that.

I’ve been tempted to buy one of those too as it’d mean everyone else in the house can make their own espresso too. I thought about buying some of the refillable pods too so I could preload some pods the night before for someone else to use in the morning. I would imagine you’d be able to get some decent shots if you dialled in the refillable pods to a nut. In terms of milk steaming I’m not sure how good the quality of foam would be, I couldn’t imagine it has much steaming power but with some practice I would imagine you’d be able to get close to ‘latte art quality’ milk.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

I’ve been tempted to buy one of those too as it’d mean everyone else in the house can make their own espresso too. I thought about buying some of the refillable pods too so I could preload some pods the night before for someone else to use in the morning. I would imagine you’d be able to get some decent shots if you dialled in the refillable pods to a nut. In terms of milk steaming I’m not sure how good the quality of foam would be, I couldn’t imagine it has much steaming power but with some practice I would imagine you’d be able to get close to ‘latte art quality’ milk.

@Rakesh I think you're right, the secret lies in the reusable pods and grinding fresh beans. I've found a really nice metal pod that comes with a tiny tamper and funnel to add the ground coffee, it's quite expensive but I think I'll try it. I'm conscious that everything will be in miniature - I'm used to 19g in and 30g out but think pods are 7g or something so I might need three :) I think on the right setting the milk might be ok, I'll keep you posted.

If I had one of these machines I would love to try the Colonna pods (https://colonnacoffee.com/collections/capsules). They were the first third wave I saw making pods, and I've no doubt the trend has exploded. A quick glance shows that they're making some of their pods in compostable capsules, which makes them all the more enticing!

I'd be keen to hear how you get on with the machine, it's at a really interesting price point. Best of luck with your new journey!

Pods are made with huge flat roller grinders, i think it may be a challenge to replicate that in a refillable pod with a home grinder.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks @johnbudding I'll post results here. Just waiting for my new reusable pods from https://www.compatible-capsules.com and I also hear on the grapevine that one of my favourite roasters is about to release their coffee in pod format so it feels like something good should be possible.

Pods are made with huge flat roller grinders, i think it may be a challenge to replicate that in a refillable pod with a home grinder.

@Mrboots2u I'll give it my best go and try all the options - to me there's as much fun in all of this than drinking the coffee. I like the challenge :)

Edited by JimBean1

So Rave Coffee have just released their new pods which hopefully contain. Freshly roasted and ground beans from one of their signature blends - https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections/nespresso-compatible-compostable-coffee-pods

I've ordered a couple of boxes but also bought some reusable stainless steel pods which I plan to fill with fresh ground espresso.

I'll post results asap but fingers crossed this is the answer to good coffee from a pod machine!

Just bumping this as I’ve recently bought one of these machines for general interest and also some desire to simplify my coffee making. 

So far I’ve used the nespresso pods (not good), Costa ones (terrible) and some from Cru Cafe which are alright. I’ve got some from Volcano and Rave arriving today. 

Clifton, colonna and toast are also on the list to try. Essentially if I can find some that give me the ability to make a good flat white and long black then I may be looking to off load my other equipment. I only drink these two types of drink and have lost the interest (and time) to tweak and faff around with espresso fine tuning  

However so far the coffee is falling well short of what it needs to be to tempt me to switch so hopefully some of the speciality pods will be better. Let see 

Edited by GingerBen

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)