Sign in to follow this  
ThinkJunket

Gaggia Classic PID vs La Pavoni

Hey folks,

Am thinking between getting a Gaggia Classic and install PID on it, or getting a La Pavoni and just work with what a beauty it already is.

Anybody here with experience with both? I have heard that the La Pavoni compared to a Gaggia without PID would be better, but what about with the PID?

I am just planning to make 1-3(usually 2) drinks at a time, milk based. Anybody got any insight to help me on this?

Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Hey folks,

Am thinking between getting a Gaggia Classic and install PID on it, or getting a La Pavoni and just work with what a beauty it already is.

Anybody here with experience with both? I have heard that the La Pavoni compared to a Gaggia without PID would be better, but what about with the PID?

I am just planning to make 1-3(usually 2) drinks at a time, milk based. Anybody got any insight to help me on this?

Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

No advice, but I'm very close to the same decision...

I keep looking at la pavs, but then keep sticking with the classic with the intention of sticking a PID on.

Interested to hear the response, although I expect the answer will be "both are good options but very different, try both and see what you like" or something similar!

Lelit MaraX, Niche Zero, MBK Feldgrind, Gene Cafe 101, several brewers... 

Why stop at la pavoni when you're basically in the HX territory? :)

Presso: Gaggia Classic '96 (OPV mod / Rancilio wand/PID) + Iberital MC2

Brew: V60/Aeropress + Rhino

I'm in the same boat, love the idea of a leaver setup and they can be found around the same price as the Gaggia and then adding the PID. Im leaning towards the Gaggia atm with the PID I think I'll get a better consistency? Plus no one else will ever make me a coffee if I get the leaver style machine.

I'm in the same boat, love the idea of a leaver setup and they can be found around the same price as the Gaggia and then adding the PID. Im leaning towards the Gaggia atm with the PID I think I'll get a better consistency? Plus no one else will ever make me a coffee if I get the leaver style machine.

Yeah but isn't the Pavoni such a beauty? Haha, leaning more towards a Pavoni currently.

You need some experience to get the most out of a Pavoni. For great results there's more fines involved.

Gaggia is more of a one trick pony if you don't go through all of the mods.

That said, either one should be paired with a good grinder at least the same value.

I have both just now. I use the gaggia daily as it is probably more consistent with a PID, but the Pavoni is simpler, heats up quicker thoygh takes a bit of practice to get consistent results, it is more pleasurable to use. I have a coffee as soon as I wake so there is less to worry about with the gaggia, I have it on a wemo switch so it's heated up by the time I get up.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Would love to have the La Pavoni but given the skill and attention it takes to pull a good shot and my inability to function in the morning until I’ve had my coffee makes it a dealbreaker...