Dr Forinor

Rookie mistake in freezing - help

With all these Black Friday deals popping up I haven't been able to help myself and have made a tonne of orders (total 7kg....).

The only way I can guarantee to get through them all without them going stale is to freeze the majority and come back to them as and when I need them.

I received my Foundry beans this Friday just past, roasted on the 20th, received 23rd - I put them into the freezer straight away. Getting ahead of myself, I only just realised today that I didn't let them rest the full resting period before freezing.

What would the protocol be now? Do I take out now, leave out for the full resting period and then refreeze? Or when the time comes do I remove with it in mind that they need to be out of the freezer for about a week before they are ready to be used? Or something else?

Edited by Dr Forinor

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

They should be fine, I’ve frozen beans before letting them rest loads of times before and they’ve always tasted the same as if they were freshly roasted. Sometimes they need a little rest when taken out the freezer but most of the time they’re ok.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Should be fine. Did you seal the valeve, vac pac or into airtight bag . . .

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Erm, perhaps rookie mistake 2? I put the Foundry bag (the bag the beans come in from Foundry) straight into the freezer.

Erm, perhaps rookie mistake 2? I put the Foundry bag (the bag the beans come in from Foundry) straight into the freezer.

I think the current consensus of opinion is to either seal the valve, stick into an airtight box, or vac pack them (still in the bag they arrived in. I put the beans and bag they came in into a vac bag and then through the machine to suck the air out. My preferred choice but having not tested it against other methods I can’t say if it’s better, I just know it works for me.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Should be fine. Did you seal the valeve, vac pac or into airtight bag . . .
So as you long as you do one of these 3 things it should be fine? Then let it thaw naturally when taken out for use?

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

I think the current consensus of opinion is to either seal the valve, stick into an airtight box, or vac pack them (still in the bag they arrived in. I put the beans and bag they came in into a vac bag and then through the machine to suck the air out. My preferred choice but having not tested it against other methods I can’t say if it’s better, I just know it works for me.

Vac seal and freezer is definitely the way to go.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

So as you long as you do one of these 3 things it should be fine? Then let it thaw naturally when taken out for use?

I would think so. Some forum members use them from frozen . . . I just treat them as a 'new' bag of beans when I have removed them from the vac bag ;)

Ok please ignore i just read the other posts.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

Ok, I have no machine to suck out air. So technically I can't remove air like a machine would do.

What options do I have now? What is the best way to seal the valve?

Ok, I have no machine to suck out air. So technically I can't remove air like a machine would do.

What options do I have now?

Squash the bag down, tape the valve and pop into a poly bag, suck a bit of air out and seal the bag? Either/both, up to you!

Squash the bag down, tape the valve and pop into a poly bag, suck a bit of air out and seal the bag? Either/both, up to you!

That can be done, thank you :)

This might sound stupid, but seal with just tape? Any tape?

That can be done, thank you :)

This might sound stupid, but seal with just tape? Any tape?

A bit duct tape? Sellotape won’t stick (even less so if the bag is a bit damp). Any non porous sticky tape ;)

Thanking you all, good folk.

I still have more coffee to come through, no more rookie mistakes shall be made - at least not this time round :whistle:

Dr F you asked this just at the right time, I've got about 1kg too much due to forgetfulness and as I've never yet had this situation until now I was going to ask for a reminder!

I also just slapped a square of duck tape over the valve, put the bag in a 'klip' type food storage tub and into the freezer. They'll only be there a month anyhow.

If I was in the habit of freezing beans I'd get a vac sealer but as it's the exception I think I'll be fine with the tape and box.

It's not a bad idea to have a stash at this time of year though, when roasters may have shut down, and an influx of visitors means you run out during the Christmas break. That way the only cold turkey you suffer is the sandwiches on Boxing day!

7kg though?! Haha!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

7kg though?! Haha!

Yes, perhaps a tad silly?

It might be useful for you to share how well these beans taste once you have defrosted and used them. And also whether or not they brew-up as usual. This feedback might be useful in guiding others who are thinking of experimenting with freeing their beans

Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon

It might be useful for you to share how well these beans taste once you have defrosted and used them. And also whether or not they brew-up as usual. This feedback might be useful in guiding others who are thinking of experimenting with freeing their beans

This is the first time I have bought these beans from Foundry, so I have no reference.

Just to add to the mix, over time we have had far too many takeaways, which ends with having loads of containers which we reuse, after careful washing, for all sorts of purposes, from nuts and bolts and all types of other odds and sods, food for us, food for the dogs, and yes, of course, coffee beans. The larger size into which they dish up the main meals work out great = 250g beans fits perfectly. So rest beans 7-10 days into container, label cause they all look the same otherwise! Into freezer, when required remove from freeze weigh out the amount needed, pop into niche flick the switch, return container to freezer. REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Perfect for the freezer..

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285671932

Not sure why they are not available online but they abound plenty within the stores. Take special note, these are the ones with the zip - not the click and seal which do not perform as well in the freezer.

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

More interestingly, where are all these Black Friday deals on beans??

ECM Synchronika, Niche Zero, Pullman Bigstep Tamper, ONA OCD Distribution Tool, Decent Funnel, VST 18g & 20g Ridgeless Baskets, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Lunar Scales, LW Bean Cellar & Caddy

More interestingly, where are all these Black Friday deals on beans??

In the Black Friday thread!

Black Friday

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=6813&share_tid=34915&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcoffeeforums%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D34915&share_type=t

I used Square Mile one (free T-shirt with any 2 bags) and Round Hill (25% off).

Rave are doing a Cyber Monday deal - buy one, get 2nd one 25% off. Starts in about 27 minutes.

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

Kinda on topic but can any one recommend a vac sealing machine?

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!