ATZ

Some interesting Custom Levers

When doing some research found this guy in Oz doing custom and restorations of vintage levers. Some very very interesting projects, thought it may interest some on here...

http://coffeemachinist.com.au/

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Interesting perspective on the londinium project. In his view temperature stability is pretty poor.

Don't believe all you read as gospel.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Interesting perspective on the londinium project. In his view temperature stability is pretty poor.

I can categorically say I haven’t experienced this! I wouldn’t be getting such consistent results if that were the case for a start ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Original Londinium was based around a thermosyphon = Londinium R isn't. After the launch of Londinium I, some owners were reporting problems with temp stability. Reiss's response covers this here

You can stally the thermosyphon by extended pre-infusion time, i.e. leaving the lever cocked prior to releasing it to pull a shot. If the thermosyphon stalls, group temp is duly affected.

Original Londinium was based around a thermosyphon = Londinium R isn't. After the launch of Londinium I, some owners were reporting problems with temp stability. Reiss's response covers this here

You can stally the thermosyphon by extended pre-infusion time, i.e. leaving the lever cocked prior to releasing it to pull a shot. If the thermosyphon stalls, group temp is duly affected.

Really? I thought the R used a thermosyphon

Londinium R and Kafatek MC3

"it depends how far you take 'exactly the same'. at a conceptual level yes, but at a detailed level the LONDINIUM R uses the same horizontal heat exchanger that we used in the LONDINIUM I (2012-2016) boiler, whereas the new L1, L2, and L3 have an inclined heat exchanger and of course larger boilers"

Reiss, Londinium Espresso

It does but it's a different configuration to the old L-1P. The stability of your lever group depends on a number of factors - it's mass, is is a Thermosyphon or dipper, does it have electrical assistance for warming up (a al Bezzera Strega), ambient temp of the room, how the lever group is attached to the boiler.

Generally speaking (anyone feel free to correct me here) Lever group heads are more temp stable as they're bigger/have more mass, once they are up to temp of course.

Generally speaking (anyone feel free to correct me here) Lever group heads are more temp stable as they're bigger/have more mass, once they are up to temp of course.

I think it would be interesting to see independent testing of the temperature characteristics of levers beyond stability.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I think it would be interesting to see independent testing of the temperature characteristics of levers beyond stability.

There is a thread on HB where someone has done exactly this. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Seen those before, tell you nothing about brew water temperature, the measurements although interesting on the outside of the group, don't mean a huge amount....I'd like to see proper independent studies of brew water temperature that were independent. Using something like a scace II or similar device etc..

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Seen those before, tell you nothing about brew water temperature, the measurements although interesting on the outside of the group, don't mean a huge amount....I'd like to see proper independent studies of brew water temperature that were independent. Using something like a scace II or similar device etc..

Now I’m not claiming anything, but I think I’ve read that declining pressure/temperature profile is preferred anyway?

Are we tasting numbers or what’s in the cup?

Now I’m not claiming anything, but I think I’ve read that declining pressure/temperature profile is preferred anyway?

Are we tasting numbers or what’s in the cup?

I think it's more about understanding what's happening.....not tasting numbers. I did not say anything at all about taste, or what was better or worse in the cup. I don't really have any preconceptions in this area.

I think it's more about understanding what's happening.....not tasting numbers. I did not say anything at all about taste, or what was better or worse in the cup. I don't really have any preconceptions in this area.

Yeah, me neither - I just stopped caring after getting a good shot one after another! There’s still area for improvement, of course.

@DavecUK this is a quote from later in that thread:

Checked the Sorrento's group idle temp this morning after the machine had been on unused for 4 hours. Placed the TC in the same location you show in your photo. Idle temp cycles between 165.7-166.4 with a room temp of 74°F. With no flush at all I see a peak shot water temp of 198°F-199°F measuring water temp with a calibrated Scace 1.

Maybe sheds some light on it? At least for a Bosco style lever group.

I received a lifetime ban on coffee snobs, for daring to speak the truth.......they were incensed that Londinium would not offer them a deal whereby a couple of their members/sponsors could import whereas the model was to deal direct. This caused them to run a post that I contributed to whereby them took an L1 and slagged it off, to the point they decided to make it better by making it a dual boiler and a whole host of other changes, calling it the australianum machine. it was just a piss take. I posted suggesting the real reason for this attempted decimation was purely greed and not liking being cut out of the supply chain.

I received a ban for life and they removed all my posts and a lot of connected stuff.......F*** them is what I say

I received a lifetime ban on coffee snobs, for daring to speak the truth.......they were incensed that Londinium would not offer them a deal whereby a couple of their members/sponsors could import whereas the model was to deal direct. This caused them to run a post that I contributed to whereby them took an L1 and slagged it off, to the point they decided to make it better by making it a dual boiler and a whole host of other changes, calling it the australianum machine. it was just a piss take. I posted suggesting the real reason for this attempted decimation was purely greed and not liking being cut out of the supply chain.

I received a ban for life and they removed all my posts and a lot of connected stuff.......F*** them is what I say

Wow. That sounds a pretty unsavoury thing all round.

Really?:)

a blessing in disguise is what I say....it is such a commercially run site......nothing wrong with that but not my cup of tea.......I believe in free speech!

Being banned by any forum that titles itself 'snobs' is an accolade. Wear your ban with pride, David.

@DavecUK this is a quote from later in that thread:

Maybe sheds some light on it? At least for a Bosco style lever group.

Sounds like that's it then....definitive. I'm sure I over test machines when I come up with PID and temperature settings. good job I don't do very many nowadays....takes days and all all different temps and conditions.

Sounds like that's it then....definitive. I'm sure I over test machines when I come up with PID and temperature settings. good job I don't do very many nowadays....takes days and all all different temps and conditions.
I didn't say it WAS definitive @DavecUK I was simply relaying some info from that thread.

Have you reviewed many levers out of interest? I've only read your E61 work.

I didn't say it WAS definitive @DavecUK I was simply relaying some info from that thread.

Have you reviewed many levers out of interest? I've only read your E61 work.

I've looked at a few...but not really had a reason or interest to get involved. it's why i never bothered with the QM lever that BB had. Apart from when it wasn't working to at least let QM know what they had done wrong and how they could fix it. I only did that because I happened to be at BB at the time and someone removed the case so I could have a quick look. I saw the problem in a minute or two and let QM know how to fix.

I "might" end up reviewing the dual boiler lever single group Vostok for ACS, because it moves lever development on from where things are today....depends how I feel. I might suggest someone else to review it...perhaps a knowledgable forum member....anyway it's a little ways off yet. Hence a mild interest over the years in what's actually going on, rather than all the guesses. Looks like someone scaced one though doesn't it.

P.S. I'm pretty sure i did not say that you said it's definitive....I said it looks definitive....and I am sure is as far as HB is concerned.

When doing some research found this guy in Oz doing custom and restorations of vintage levers. Some very very interesting projects, thought it may interest some on here...

http://coffeemachinist.com.au/

Is there anybody in the UK doing this kind of thing? Some seriously cool projects on his Instagram. I love the GS3 side panels. I know there is Titus Grinding in Germany but he is super high end.

Londinium R and Kafatek MC3