Two bits from the web

Passivation, (i.e.: surface cleaning and sealing) lowers the metals electrical potential and improves its corrosion behavior. As the series suggests, steel and aluminum are relatively compatible, but if brass and steel contact, the steel will corrode because it is more anodic than the brass.

and

The further apart the metals are, in terms of relative potentials, the greater the driving force in a cell. So, for example, stainless steel in contact with copper is less likely to be a risk than when it is in contact with aluminium or galvanised (zinc coated) steel.

To complete the cell, a conductive liquid must bridge the contact metals.
The more electrically conductive the liquid is, the greater the danger of corrosion. Seawater or salt laden moist air is more of a risk than contact with rain water or towns water.

^^^ that's a challenging read when using "Dark roast" 😉

Anyway - something is possibly going to corrode somewhere, but probably not very much!

That'll do!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

6 minutes ago, Nicknak said:

Two bits from the web

Passivation, (i.e.: surface cleaning and sealing) lowers the metals electrical potential and improves its corrosion behavior. As the series suggests, steel and aluminum are relatively compatible, but if brass and steel contact, the steel will corrode because it is more anodic than the brass.

and

The further apart the metals are, in terms of relative potentials, the greater the driving force in a cell. So, for example, stainless steel in contact with copper is less likely to be a risk than when it is in contact with aluminium or galvanised (zinc coated) steel.

To complete the cell, a conductive liquid must bridge the contact metals.
The more electrically conductive the liquid is, the greater the danger of corrosion. Seawater or salt laden moist air is more of a risk than contact with rain water or towns water.

Just to be pedantic, if you take a look back at your reference doc, I'm sure you'll see that "steel" is quite different to "316 stainless steel"..... and brass/stainless will cause the brass to corrode.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

What I'm saying is that brass and stainless (in theory) will cause the brass to corrode.... whereas brass and brass will do nothing, and brass and aluminium will cause the aluminium to corrode.   Obviously, to what degree is a different question - and the answer is probably "Who cares?"

Yeah fully understand that. Just haven't personally seen anything from the same dissimilar metals being in contact (admittedly a screw has a much smaller contact area than a dispersion plate). The original mild steel screw however was rusted into the OE alu block.
I dare say the group being chrome plated would have an effect too.
I've had one of these ss shower plates fitted for just over 3 weeks (including 1 week I was away so switched off) to test out. Can't say I've noticed any difference yet (either in taste or heat up time) from my brass one but have yet to drop it out for a deep clean.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

1 minute ago, MrShades said:

Just to be pedantic, if you take a look back at your reference doc, I'm sure you'll see that "steel" is quite different to "316 stainless steel"..... and brass/stainless will cause the brass to corrode.

Whoops,I’m off to re read it ..🥴😂.. I have a sailing boat with an inboard engine and brass through the hull fittings and have suffered a de zincing  of brass .. quite alarming if your in the North Sea with water gushing in 🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, I think in real world usage - brass or stainless will be equally as good.... they're both better than aluminium!

To be fair, I think in real world usage - brass or stainless will be equally as good.... they're both better than aluminium!
If only someone could make a brass or steel boiler to replace the alu one....

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Just a quick one.......

......fitted a Pro Thermometer there just now to my Appartamento, temp reading nicely.

Q. Does it auto switch off after a few minutes?

Rocket Appartamento, Compak K3 Touch. Kalita Wave SS when on the move.

Just a quick one.......
......fitted a Pro Thermometer there just now to my Appartamento, temp reading nicely.
Q. Does it auto switch off after a few minutes?

Mine does. It goes off after 5 or 10 mins. I can’t remember which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

What??? Your thermometer???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry.....couldn't resist 😉

• Like 1

What??? Your thermometer???? 
Sorry.....couldn't resist 

...are we talking about thermometers? Same applies.

• Haha 1

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Such a revealing instrument........fiddling with it 😀this morning and the variances in temperatures "can be" astonishing.

🤔🤔...........more experimenting to take place.

Also had a slight leak, quick spanner work and all alright. After all, it's not even on a full day.

Such a revealing instrument........fiddling with it this morning and the variances in temperatures "can be" astonishing.
...........more experimenting to take place.
Also had a slight leak, quick spanner work and all alright. After all, it's not even on a full day.

Hopefully this link works.

Plenty of info on the forum regarding how these things work.

ECM Mechanika Boiler Temp
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/index.php?/topic/43095-ECM-Mechanika-Boiler-Temp/page__view__findpost__p__650497

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cheers @richwade80, just read that stuff.

Maybe I'll start taking notes as to what temps are after what times etc. Idling etc. But I'm struggling to get to between 92 and 94 atm.

I'll get there though...........not giving up ....trial and error.

Edited by Alan Kilroy
  • Like 1

Cheers [mention=16752]richwade80[/mention], just read that stuff.
Maybe I'll start taking notes as to what temps are after what times etc. Idling etc. But I'm struggling to get to between 92 and 94 atm.
I'll get there though...........not giving up ....trial and error.

Probe measures brew temp only when brewing (or near to), measures group head temp when idle.

I ran one for over a year on a hx e61 Alan - and became obsessed, though did learn a lot.

Rocket hx will be a flush and go - though u probably know that already.

What’s your flush routine and what sort of temp readings are u getting during brew?

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Posted (edited)

I flush. Temp drops to low 90's say. Basket ready. Temp starts to creep up again. Lock n load then when I flip the lever it starts shooting to late 90's.

This would be after idling for over say 40 minutes.....everything well settled shall we say.

That's me just guessing really, not scientific.

No worries. I'll start to keep notes till it comes second nature. 

Even when I flush from hot water tap, I can hear the reservoir filling up the tank again (for a long black). It's all see saw at the moment but I'm not overly concerned. 

It'll be made this way by Rocket I assume.....for a good reason.

Actually....must turn it on now and play.

Right....on 5:23pm :) Pen n paper ready.

Edited by Alan Kilroy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK......Happy enough now.

60 minutes in.

START FROM COLD MACHINE;

20 mins.     85c

30 mins.    94c

35 mins.   96c., flushed 5 sec. 100c down to 97c

40 mins.   96.2c., flushed 5 sec. 100c down to 97c., flushed 10 sec 98c down to 96c

45 mins. 94.8c., flushed 5 secs. 99c down to 94.8c

50 mins. brewed 18grs. 94.3c -100-98-97-96-93 over 25 secs. That'll be OK???

Rinsed shower filter to 93.7c

55 mins. Brewed again @92c -99-97-96-94c. Same rise and drop. 

Acceptable readings? I'm happy enough. Should I be?

Edited by Alan Kilroy

Yep - looks spot on and classic prosumer HX declining temp profile.

Of course you can drop the average brew temp if you think it’s a touch high by flushing for another couple of seconds, again more experimenting.

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live