As a new member, I wanted to show some of my coffee experiences here starting with a visit to the factory of Bosco Attilio macchine per caffè.

I have been living in Naples for over 4 years now, and am really into espresso as a result. As a final memorabillia piece I purchased a Bosco Sorrento after saving for years and picked it up directly since I live 20-25 minutes from their factory. I ordered it with orange panelling and wooden handles. I saved about 1000-1500 euro in distribution and shipping fees since there were none I went through! When I picked my machine up I was surprised at how small the workshop was, though I knew prior Bosco makes only around 60 machines per year. I estimate the entire space to be no more than 1000sq ft. They had multiple machines being produced though, and I could see how they started with the frame and kept adding more components. There was a testing station in the back along with some welders.

2 - XYKozA5.jpg

Outside the workshop on Corso Vittorio Emmanuale

3 - A7dIqiV.jpg

4 - deyBLfw.jpg

Inside the front entrance

5 - wc2HTNY.jpg

Right side of the workshop with testing room in the back

6 - tK4W8re.jpg

Left side of the workshop with storage and primary machining tools

I conversed with Roberta Bosco for almost 6 months during the ordering process, and was extremely cordial. There were a few requests I made that were all fulfilled, the biggest being having the boiler signed by the worker Giorgio and Attilio himself. While some people believe a Londinum is superior, I am a sucker for classical lever machine design.

Part 2 of the post

15 - vSgnqlt.jpg

Pic of Giorgio. He was making a drip tray at the time.

11 - iJuuEZv.jpg

Two four group machines hanging precariously on a plank and unfinished 2 group machine.

pickup.jpg

Actual pickup. I was speaking with Roberta, who is in the white sweater and me behind her while Giorgio places the machine in the car.

17 - JjuQASQ.jpg

13 - 8hbTWnc.jpg

Edited by IamOiman
Duplicate photo

Indeed. Here is the process on how they make their machines (using my machine and one other for visuals)

9 - yJlpvxc.jpg

They first construct the frame of the machine and fit it with the copper boiler and group dipper. Then they take off the boiler for plating in chrome and spray anti rust material on the frame.

10 - 6LIGVk8.jpg

They begin adding the chrome panelling on the dip tray and front panel along with the knobs for water/steam/cup warmer. For the group head they take a CMA group and add some modifications to the cam that connects the lever to the spring and add a decorative cap on top.

13 - 8hbTWnc.jpg

Then they add the piping connecting the boiler to all the knobs and group head. Once everything is assembled internally they test the machine on full load in that back room before prepping the machine for shipment. That last part of the assembly is adding the side and rear panels along with replacing the plastic knobs with wood if ordered that way.

8 - NfcR7Ra.jpg

12 - Kb2UAvH.jpg

The final result for my machine is here:

signing.jpg

Bosco.jpg

more bosco.jpg

I felt so giddy when I first saw the photos, it turned out far better than I immagined it for the orange panelling. I was humbled when they acquiesced to signing my boiler!

The final result for my machine is here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37506[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37507[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37508[/ATTACH]

I felt so giddy when I first saw the photos, it turned out far better than I immagined it for the orange panelling. I was humbled when they acquiesced to signing my boiler!

@IamOiman is this plumbed in? May I ask what this cost to commission as I'd love one.

@IamOiman is this plumbed in? May I ask what this cost to commission as I'd love one.

Hi there,

This machine is soley plumbed in and you must have a water connection. I am using a Flojet 5000 for my connection for water purity purposes and you can manual fill the boiler, but it can be tedious to do so. There is also the option of a boiler drain which I do not have but can unscrew a lower pipe and tip the machine/boiler to empty it.

For costs, here is the breakdown. Note I purchased directly from them and did not have to go through a distributor nor did I have to pay for shipping (it's 70 euro in Italy btw). I probably saved 1000-1500 euro as as result.

cost.jpg

Just to add my thanks for taking the time to post the photostory of your machine - and along the way a celebration of the people working away in their workshops producing, through a labour of love, an object of engineering beauty.

• 4 months later...

really nice machine, after you use this one group, when you lock the portafilter on to group head does the machine tilt or move a bit? I tried some sinlge group machine is not heavy enough so when lock the porta filter the machine tends to move

thanks for sharing

Hi Danx,

I actually do not have the machine set up right now and is still in its crate. I will be unable to use it probably until August-September as I am moving this summer and the current apartment is too small to setup the machine. This machine however weighs about 110lbs filled with water, so I would hopefully presume that this weight with rubber capped feet would prevent any slips from occuring (believe me I faced this with my Pavoni!).

Cheers!

really nice machine, after you use this one group, when you lock the portafilter on to group head does the machine tilt or move a bit? I tried some sinlge group machine is not heavy enough so when lock the porta filter the machine tends to move

thanks for sharing

@danx I have a single group lever - Profitec Pro800 which has the Bosco group. It doesn't move at all when loading the PF.

thanks for sharing

The Bosco is a very stable machine once I. Use, you would be hard pressed to get it to move about, but it is possible with enough brute force. I would consider having a look at a Londinium one group commercial as an alternative which in my experience of owning and using both machines is a better machine.