On 31/12/2019 at 19:17, Mark_d said:

Hi All,

I've been looking at some threads on the Sage Bambino Plus and DTP on this site so thought I'd give back for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

I just bought a SBP for €250 today and was pleasantly surprised to find it now ships with both pressurised and non-pressurised baskets (4 in total) - I've uploaded a pic below

Interestingly it's not mentioned anywhere in the main user manual (it just refers to the two 'double wall' baskets) but they are now including the an extra info leaflet in the box.

Sage baskets.jpg

New manual now on the Sage website now showing the inclusion of the extra single wall baskets.

https://www.sageappliances.com/content/dam/sage/uk/en/assets/miscellaneous/instruction-manual/espresso/BES500-instruction-manual.pdf

• Like 1
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I've been looking at some threads on the Sage Bambino Plus and DTP on this site so thought I'd give back for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread. I just bought a SBP for €250 t

I’ve cracked and ordered one of these for my van. Seems perfect for what I want. Just wondering if anyone had gone through the £50 claim back and how easy it was? With that I’ll have got the machin

I love a post like this, saves me a lot of time. Someone clearly self identifies as a wanker and I can place straight on my ignore list. Job done  P.S. I would have been better if the mods simpl

Posted Images

And curry’s is selling this machine for £199. Seems worth a punt?

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Is there a way to remove the plastic insert from inside the porta filter? I’m not a fan os plastic touching hot beverage which ends in my cup.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Is there a way to remove the plastic insert from inside the porta filter? I’m not a fan os plastic touching hot beverage which ends in my cup.

Yeah it comes out no problem easier than dtp actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I took out my plastic insert but broke the lugs doing it still works fine without the plastic ?. I ordered a unpressurized basket from sage. Site says out of stock but if you phone them they have them just not updated the site. Be aware if you buy a Bambino the now you might not be guaranteed to get both baskets as it will depend on how old the stock is. Currys still say it only comes with the pressurised ones still . Would be worth asking from were you get it from if it comes with both before ordering.

• Like 1

Went to curry’s today and the box mentioned single and double dual wall baskets, so presumably older stock.

I didn’t pull the trigger in the end, as I can’t have the luxury to have two machines on the go. (I don’t drink enough coffee to justify that) I’ll need to think what to do with the Pavoni first.

It’s tempting though! Seems like a very capable machine for someone starting off, at a great price!

Went to curry’s today and the box mentioned single and double dual wall baskets, so presumably older stock.

I didn’t pull the trigger in the end, as I can’t have the luxury to have two machines on the go. (I don’t drink enough coffee to justify that) I’ll need to think what to do with the Pavoni first.

It’s tempting though! Seems like a very capable machine for someone starting off, at a great price!

Considering the photos with the extra pamphlet thrown in to explain the single wall basket, it's possible the boxes haven't been updated yet to mention them.
  • Like 1

I was looking at getting either the bambino or dual pro but wanted the option of non pressurised basket for when I eventually get a decent grinder. Do you think it would be easy to get a non-pressurised basket from Sage directly?

sorry, quite new to all this!

2 minutes ago, Marushka82 said:

I was looking at getting either the bambino or dual pro but wanted the option of non pressurised basket for when I eventually get a decent grinder. Do you think it would be easy to get a non-pressurised basket from Sage directly?

sorry, quite new to all this!

My dtp arrived with both in the box

Oh interesting! I found the DTP for 200 on one website and I’m considering getting it as I’m very new to the coffee making and want something that’s not too complicated and has the option of pressurised and non pressurised baskets so I can use the non-pressurised when I get a grinder :)

should add that the website which has it for 200 is not Sage website but another retailer.

Edited by Marushka82

I bought one from Curry's and it had both baskets in which I was really happy about 

Sage said since the Bambino wasn't intended for fresh ground coffee, it only included pressurised baskets. I bought it for the small footprint. I use it with my smart grinder and it's really good!

Has anyone done a cleaning cycle yet with the tablets ? I have just done one  and not sure if its right. The instructions say place a 2L container on the drip tray but nothing came out the basket or wand. It was only the  waste water part under the drip tray were the waste was going is this right ?

l

4 minutes ago, Steveo said:

Has anyone done a cleaning cycle yet with the tablets ? I have just done one  and not sure if its right. The instructions say place a 2L container on the drip tray but nothing came out the basket or wand. It was only the  waste water part under the drip tray were the waste was going is this right ?

l

Sounds like they have forgotten that they have removed the hole from the flushing disk. :) Can't expect people who work on the manual to to talk to people who change things or the other way round.

On the other hand maybe they will bring the hole back for dtp owners that need it so others will then need the container as well.

John

-

No. The machine you are using has a 3 way valve arrangement of some sort. The dtp hasn't so the basket remains pressurised after the cleaning. The pin hole allows the pressure to release.

If you needed the pinhole water would tend to squirt out when you removed the portafilter after a cleaning cycle.

John

-

On 25/01/2020 at 22:18, MediumRoastSteam said:

Sage/Breville being the sort of company they are and what type of items they make will have used a safe plastic. Actually safe materials everywhere.

It's likely to be there for 2 reasons. Less noise when dual wall are used and to help maintain shot heat - that would be more important for espresso drinkers.

John

-

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Steveo said:

I think sage need to update their instruction manual then to do away with the 2L container  ??

LOL The printers must have been busy. At least when some one back flushes they will see nothing comes out and maybe they will add the hole back for DTP users that need it. Unlikely to make 2 different parts on an item like that. So at some point when stock has gone the hole may come back.

John

-

Edited by ajohn
  • 2 weeks later...
I bought one from Curry's and it had both baskets in which I was really happy about 
Sage said since the Bambino wasn't intended for fresh ground coffee, it only included pressurised baskets. I bought it for the small footprint. I use it with my smart grinder and it's really good!

Friend of mine bought one last week from Curry’s, and only dual walled baskets were inside.

Has anyone settled on a cleaning cycle process yet given the misinformation in the manual?

I clean mine with the disc (no holes in) and a provided tablet and just do 4 or 5 backflushes.

In order to stop the machine continually asking for a cleaning cycle I just run it without a pf in and leave a large container ready to catch the water.

I believe you have to let it actually finish the cleaning cycle...I saw somebody else post this, but I did as it says, put the tablet in with the disc in the basket, then just let it run.  It starts and stops a lot and the buttons keep flashing alternately, but eventually it finishes and the lights go back to all three being lit.

The first time I thought it was done after it stopped the first time so I stopped it...and yes, then it just starts prompting you again.

Yes though if you don’t have a hole in your rubber disc then letting it run through would put too much strain on the solenoid and also fill up the drip tray well before the end....

I don't have a hole in the rubber disk and the cleaning cycle finish by itself. Of course it only works in direction of filling the drip tray, but finishes before its full. Did that already 3 times as the machine urges me to start cleaning cycle. 

Mines also doesn't have a hole and as said it takes five minutes or so to finish the cleaning cycle. Drip tray fills up but didn't overflow. Once finished everything seemed ok as it goes back to working without urging a cleaning cycle. I have only had to do it one since getting it at Christmas.