jlarkin

Sage Bambino Plus

I've not seen any threads on this one. Looks like a new machine, kind of entry level machine from Sage - the bambino plus

https://www.hartsofstur.com/sage-the-bambino-plus-ses500bss.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-nkDIdl5kpJNnrVUv3LWQ8E0_jM0bF5MXQvheQ_Z4eztypSOKHG_mkaAidgEALw_wcB

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I’d noticed these too and tried to find some user videos on them. Would be ideal for in my van

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

The annoyingly small drip tray got even smaller!

That aside, looks like DTP with volumetrics in a tinier case. Should be a great starting machine.

The annoyingly small drip tray got even smaller!

That aside, looks like DTP with volumetrics in a tinier case. Should be a great starting machine.

Ah yes the drip tray. Forgot about that

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

This is interesting. I wonder if any of the previous reliability issues might be addressed to have they simply use existing parts where possible. The 3 second warm up is gimmicky as it was fast enough before, but with good marketing I can see this having a place in many a non coffee expert home

This is interesting. I wonder if any of the previous reliability issues might be addressed to have they simply use existing parts where possible. The 3 second warm up is gimmicky as it was fast enough before, but with good marketing I can see this having a place in many a non coffee expert home

What reliability issues are you adhering to?

I’m not claiming anything, just curious what exactly you are talking about.

What reliability issues are you adhering to?

I’m not claiming anything, just curious what exactly you are talking about.

All sage products have reliability issues due to the large reliance of electrical bits built into them, combined with the fact that they sell vast amounts. because of the volume of their sales, even if o.25% fail, thats a lot of machines. Compared to a traditional machine, where you can service them and make them last for years and years. I have said this before, if you want to see a sage product built now in 20 years time, you will either need to look at a picture or visit a museum

Just had this come through on YouTube. Our Gail doing a review. How’s the coffee gail? “Hmm yeah.... it’s nice”

@SkateReclaimCreate

Breville have just realeased a new machine also, seen a video for on youtube this machine, breville barista pro. I'm sure it will be available from Sage soon as they basically the same company Sage/breville.

That Sage Bambino has a horrible cheap and nasty feeling portafilter in comparison to the duo temp pro, I seen it in Lakeland and I think it only has pressurized baskets. It steams milk automatically with the ability adjust temperature and level of foam.

Looks like they are inventing the wheel here.....or not as the case maybe.

Well it's certainly not something I'd be interested in and doubtful many here would be, but it would be a step-up for someone who thinks a Nespresso makes coffee. My friend has one and she's mighty proud of it. She's knows I love coffee, but I got into trouble when she offered me one and I declined - I don't think I hid the grimace that well!

The sooner those abominations are out of fashion the better, if only for the environment and it's nasty capsules.

The breville barista pro

How is this different to an Oracle?

Isn’t oracle DB, heated 58mm group?

Isn’t oracle DB, heated 58mm group?

Yes, Oracle is a dual boiler machine with auto tamp, auto/manual steam, adjustable steam & brew temp, adjustable pre infusion, 58mm heated group etc..

The Barista Pro looks to me like a Barista Express level machine.

Edited by GerryM

Bezzera Strega & Niche Zero

I'd say it's an updated DTP after a fashion and probably will come with the same range of bits. It's a pity if they have dropped stainless steel portafilters - if they have but that's just joining the club. I'm not even sure any other company makes them out of that ?

It looks like it's aimed at taking up the same space as a number of circa £100 machines but with more features. The video showing it with the DCP grinder is interesting - grinder takes up nearly as much space. Love the use of the razor tool to set the dose in that but the results look a bit weird.

John Lewis might love machines that only come with pressurised baskets. It seems that they fob people off who have problems tuning on the BE by telling them to use them.

Shhhhh don't tell anybody but Dfk is a bit of a closet Luddite :) There doesn't seem to be much about concerning electronics problems on Sage machines unless they get sprayed with water or in the case of the DB boilers for some reason don't fill correctly. The DB is a more complex mechanically machine than their thermothingy ones and just maybe they aught to do one thing in particular a different way. ;) 2 I suspect actually, level sensing and 3 way valve action which seems to be rather exuberant but that's only a guess from not having similar problems on other machines - even one of theirs.

I have seen a rumour that some recent machines may not use the dreaded O ring seals all over the place. Problems again seems to relate more to the DB but perhaps people are more inclined to keep those for longer but they may well have a harder life compared with their thermothingy machines. The O rings are cheap to replace, DIY anyway.

Leaks - that's not unheard of on other makes.

:) Anyway this machine is not of much interest to me as no hot water. Wouldn't surprise me if the price drops at some point. When Gale does a full review we might get some idea what is in it. That sort of thing was shown when the thermothingy was replaced with a coil.

Volumetric - I suspect the BE is but don't know for sure. My tuning might just have been consistent. It is on the DB too now and I tried setting it to volume. It showed 27 a number of times but that didn't relate at all to what came out. Might be because I brew with the OPV opening but consistency was much worse than my timed shots where it does open.

John

-

Edited by ajohn
;) Mentioned the wrong company.

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

They have so many machines, I'm starting to get a bit lost.

Its a lot cheaper than the oracle, more in the price range of the barista express, but seems to have the same grinder as the oracle more automated and more settings than the barista express grinder. Its basically a barista express with the oracle styling shape of machine and oracle grinder. Think it also has this new thermojet heating element that's ready in 3 seconds.

crew review of the bambino

Interesting to watch, thanks.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to buy myself a boat to store it in! :p

A Northern Coffee Newbie. Sage Dual Temp Pro & Smart Grinder Pro.

FYI.... stumbled across this Bambino video too

A Northern Coffee Newbie. Sage Dual Temp Pro & Smart Grinder Pro.

Much more suited to the power boat fraternity .. I think a little LaPavoni would look more a home in my little sailing boat ..:)

I would consider one of these bambino machines if the portafilter and baskets from the duo temp pro fitted it, hate pressurized baskets and I don't like the portafilter to the bambino seen it Lakeland, actually was stupid when I was there I should have just taken the portafilter off the duo temp pro and seen if it fitted the bambino, Lakeland have most sage models on display. Will check this out next time I am there.