sanadsaad

Vesuvius: New owner, advice?

Hi guys. So the Vesuvius I ordered will finally arrive tomorrow. Can't wait! As there are quite a few owners here, I was wondering if you had any starters advice? What profiles to start with and grind settings? I've downloaded @ronsil's excel file and will have a play around. It's paired with a Niche grinder. I've got some sumatran dark roast beans from Wogan's in Bristol. Coming from a Gaggia classic, I'm expecting things to be quite different. Upgrades wise, I read about the knife foam tip and IMS Screen change. Worth doing straight away or wait? I hope it's alright to pester you guys with questions here. Very excited to start playing around with it once it gets here :D

Mine is standard and fine steaming is fine. maybe the Kees van Weston screen, not bothered me though

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Just a comment. I think you will enjoy the Vesuvius but be warned there is quite a lot to learn.

The steam blade I found great but why not start off with the 'status quo' then after a few months you will see for yourself what is needed for your own development. The blade is a very expensive tool & if you are only producing a few milk drinks it may well prove to be an un-neccesary expense.

Enjoy your coffee journey.

Ron 

The biggest plus you will see is from temperature stability and hopefully just making your coffee experience easier and more consistent.

Stick to a simple profile, short pre infusion and 9 bar and get a tasty coffee first.

Leave the steam arm, a knife is massively over priced.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

First of all get a standard heavy duty 13 amp UK plug. The power lead is an EU one and you will have to cut off that and wire the UK one - 5 mins.

I did get the KVW shower screen - not sure if its any improvement though.

Profile wise I have a std 9 bar, a 9 bar with preinfusion, a 6 bar plus two lever style ones.

My go to one is 14s 2Bar, the 5 secs each at 10,9,8,7,6 and 5 bar - total shot time 44s - 18g in 36g out

To use the same grind on my L1 I use the lever profile but with PI 7sec at 2 bar instead .

Can produce some excellent shots and as said before is very temp stable. The boiler offset is set at 13c which is spot on when I did a home made space test. Just make sure that all the defaults are set to DaveC’s excellent guide.

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

I'd suggest setting the temperature to 93 degrees then leaving it. I tend to flip between a 6 bar flat profile and a similar profile to Steve; 14s at 2 bar then 9 bar declining to 6. I'm generally using a ratio of 18 to 38 to 45. I use lighter roasts through an EK43. I tried the Niche but think ibprefer the EK from a flavour perspective. I need to get them side by side again before I conclude that comparison though.

I have the blade. I quite like it but I'm not sure it's any better than the 4 hole tip I use at work. Perhaps easier with small amounts of milk.

Home: Ambient Vesuvius, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

Aww shucks! ;)

It is very good temperature wise though....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Unpacked and put on counter. Now to go through the manual. Will post pic of the setup once I've found a way to upload. It's gorgeous!!

Ta da!, Indeed! Congratulations :) it looks fantastic!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Very nice in Noir thought I was the last person to get black shame on you,haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Black is the new shiny. That looks ace, especially with the black Niche. Congrats.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Day 1 and I've run into a potential issue. The machine is leaking from below. Just where the drip tray is at the edge. I'll upload a video to youtube to post here.

Just pull it out, put water in the tray it self and see if the tray leaks

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Have you actually pushed the tray all the way in, give it a quick tap with pressure with side of your hand.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Thanks Jony! It was the tray. Slightly loose on one side. Removed it and fit it again. Much more snug and the issue seems to have resolved.

Just made my first shot using a 2,10, 9,8,7, 6,5 profile with Wogan Coffee's La Bastilla beans. I'm surprised by how different (less bitter, more body) it tastes compared to Gaggia.

Have you double checked all the machine? no bends or creaks, and how silent is it? Double check the tray

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Gave it a once over again. No creaks. Everything fits. The tray was loose. I don't have anything to compare it to but by a few videos I've seen on YouTube of the machine, it sounds pretty similar. No loud noises. Just the pump starting slow and ramping up as per profile. I'll keep a close eye while using it, checking if water leaks again. For now, it's all dry again.

What temp do you have it on? (Mine is on 94C at the moment, 93C also worked for me)