MrLatte

First Shot With Naked Portafilter, and it failed...

Hi All,

Haven't had my Gaggia Classic and Mazzer SJ for very long, and im still learning for sure and today I pulled my first shot with a naked portafilter and I thought it was going really well and then boom disaster strikes! So im thinking, finer grind but what about tamping? Does this shot show any signs of bad/wrong tamping?

Oh and I should mention, im using a prestige bag of coffee beans, purchased fresh from Tesco today (Costa Coffee) so i'm not expecting great crema to say the least

[video=youtube_share;i0RPnWcDlmA]

Edited by MrLatte

Way finer. And you still have a dodgy bean "whats fresh mean could of bean roasted 3 months ago

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Ah yes. The floodgates opening followed by shite spraying everywhere technique.

I too am excellent at this.

• Like 1

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

Way finer. And you still have a dodgy bean "whats fresh mean could of bean roasted 3 months ago

Costa Beans aren't fresh, it was a bit of humour I was adding in.. i meam damn they have an expiry date of like 10 months haha. Anyway adjusted finer and i went too fine. I suppose this is what I like about buying Costa beans, they only cost about £3.79 and i can make mistakes until my coffeefounders signature blend comes.. damn im looking forward to them.

Ah yes. The floodgates opening followed by shite spraying everywhere technique.

I too am excellent at this.

Haha, my misses is awfully confused at how coffee ends up on the walls and its a good job ive got tiles or our walls would be destroyed haha. The first time I got my gaggia classic I hadn't a grinder or beans.. then I saw my costa coffee grounds for a french press and I had a smile on my face and thought "I wonder.." and boom went everywhere, it was a coffee massacre that everywhere except my cup. Good memories though :D

I would buy a kilo of one bean and go from there. It cost's more but you know were you are with the bean, sorry missed the joke!!

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

You know its a good point to be honest, i went from one shop bean to another and a lot changes, first I had to dose down on Costa beans compared to some other one I had and Costa beans needed grinding differently.. no doubt when I get my signature blend ill be back at the drawing board.. I just hope it doesn't take to long to get it right haha.

You have a decent grinder, so you should be fine with that. It's all about the bean 1 bean until you have it where you want it.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

You have a decent grinder, so you should be fine with that. It's all about the bean 1 bean until you have it where you want it.

I did some tweaking and I managed to get rid of the spurting but why is it so.. big? Other videos its just a thin pour from the center but this is huge lol

[video=youtube_share;NC9Nd_Ux2jQ]

Hehe I got the same, I know I need to grind finer, perhaps your issue is the same here?

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

Nothing should show until at least 10+ seconds the sweating?

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

1. Grind finer

2. Ensure you purge old grinds (unless you have a system that eliminates them)

3. Check your burrs in case they need replacement

4. Make sure you have genuine Mazzer burrs not after market rubbish

5. Use good fresh beans

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I did some tweaking and I managed to get rid of the spurting but why is it so.. big? Other videos its just a thin pour from the center but this is huge lol

[video=youtube_share;NC9Nd_Ux2jQ]

How fresh are your beans? They can be a bit volatile if being used before they've had a chance to rest (about a week post roast).

Laissez les bons temps rouler

You can get 1kg of Itallian Job Espresso blend from Rave coffee for about £13. I really rate them and use it all the time in my Classic. Also because you have 1kg from the same batch you can really get a handle on dialling them in. You really need to go finer by the look of it. Also how much are you actually extracting from that? It looked like about half a pint in the video. Haha

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter

1. Grind finer

2. Ensure you purge old grinds (unless you have a system that eliminates them)

3. Check your burrs in case they need replacement

4. Make sure you have genuine Mazzer burrs not after market rubbish

5. Use good fresh beans

All good points to which I would add:

Distribute the grounds in the portafilter evenly prior to tamping. Be sure to break up any clumps. This helps prevent channeling and spurting.

Tamp firmly and evenly. It will help enormously if you study some Youtube videos. Getting tamping right is much harder than it looks.

Hi Everyone,

I pop on now and again to read the replies and then I get back in the kitchen refusing to admit defeat! But I'm still terrible and I have a few questions, im adjusting my grind to get around 2 ounce in 20 - 30 seconds but im confused at something. I grind 18g of beans into my standard unpressurised gaggia double basket but its not enough fill the whole basket after levelling so im throwing some extra beans in and then using a card to level it off.. but then, I tamp down and it goes below the line on the basket, when I extract the coffee and remove the portafilter there is as expected a puddle.. so what am I supposed to do?

As for the tamping chap-a-chino your spot on, while I measure and try to stay consistent i have no idea what the tamp should be (I watch youtube videos to get a rough idea but its hard to explain pressure from a video haha).. i for sure need to invest in a tamper that compresses at the right pressure to understand tamping pressure better.

As for the burrs, i removed the top bur the day after i got my super jolly and ran my finger around to feel for a knife sharpness from the outer of the bur to the inner which is something I heard to check on a video on youtube and sure enough it felt good. After zeroing the burrs i stuck some beans in at its finest setting, just backing the burrs off enough not to touch and the beans came out like baby powder so I feel confident the burr side of things are okay.. its just me I think!

My coffeefounders signature blend will arrive soon and I need to bring myself up to scratch.. i can sacrifice suoermarket beans but not coffeefounders haha.

Edited by MrLatte
Many mistakes

My coffeefounders signature blend will arrive soon and I need to bring myself up to scratch.. i can sacrifice suoermarket beans but not coffeefounders haha.

In my thread (right below yours at this moment in time) I was advised to stay away from supermarket beans and that they are a pain trying to dial in, and practising on them is useless. I did switch to fresh coffee, maybe that's all you need? Maybe the supermarket beans are just stale or something?

Sorry I'm not saying this is the case, just throwing ideas out there.

In my thread (right below yours at this moment in time) I was advised to stay away from supermarket beans and that they are a pain trying to dial in, and practising on them is useless. I did switch to fresh coffee, maybe that's all you need? Maybe the supermarket beans are just stale or something?

Sorry I'm not saying this is the case, just throwing ideas out there.

You know you could be spot on, while I need to learn many things I know myself these beans are inconsistent and producing crema is near impossible (which is a sign they aren't good) I've been fixed on using cheap beans as I just wanted to waste the rubbish beans so that I'm better prepared for my proper bag but maybe I'm not doing myself any favours anymore, after all, a new bag means your back the drawing board to get those beans right so I may as well find a nice blend and put my attention to that.

With that in mind though, whats with the levelled grinds going below the basket line after being tamped? All other videos level their grinds and once tamped its about spot on.. I don't understand that part.

Dr Forinor - I just went through your thread, it was a great read and one thing I really liked was the tamping video explaining how to imagine the resistence pushing on a work surface and feeling the resistence.. that to me makes it a lot easier to understand as I can relate better than judging the pressure from just watching somebody tamp.. also the supermarket beans are a big no no.. ahh well you learn haha.

Not sure if anyone has suggested it but you can use a bathroom scale to test your tamp on. Place the scale on the worktop where you tamp and then just use your tamper and press. I am using a light tamp at 10kg but you probably need to aim for more than that. Try 20kg and go from there.

Would a video help of what mine mine looks like in the basket through to tamping, do you think?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Would a video help of what mine mine looks like in the basket through to tamping, do you think?

It would, yes please.

With that in mind though, whats with the levelled grinds going below the basket line after being tamped? All other videos level their grinds and once tamped its about spot on.. I don't understand that part.

That has me confused too!!!!

Are you sure you haven't got a triple basket in there? Might explain why 18g isn't filling it.

In my double VST 18g fills just over the top which can easily be levelled into the basket without having to knock any off.

Got to agree with everyone else here. You really are bashing your head against the wall with supermarket rubbish. It'll almost always be stale which doesn't allow the puck to form a proper seal to build up the right pressure.

Rocket Appartamento | Mahlkonig Vario | 58mm Rocket tamper | AeroPress | VST 18g basket | HappyDonkey Bottomless PortaFilter

It would, yes please.

Here you go. As I said, my tamp is pretty light but it gives you an idea.

(My way may not be the way everyone does it. I think we all find a way to suit our equipment and beans etc)

[video=youtube_share;RHN2hOYzG64]

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Thank you for your effort, and help! :) :)