Sign in to follow this  
igm45

Lelit Mara broken machine - where to start fault finding

At 06:30 this morning my darling wife woke me up and said "your coffee machine doesn't normally make that noise for this long".

I went to investigate and found that it the pump pressure was at 8 bar, but no water was coming out of the head. This carried on for a good few seconds before I turned it off/on again.

It kept doing this for three further off/on cycles. Until the pump stopped, I was hopeful it had resolved itself but, alas, no it hadn't. The 'steam' light remained on, it was obviously doing something as it was making a lot of noise, like a kettle, for fear of further damage it has gone off until I receive further instruction from someone in the know..

That's where you lot come in

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Can you add a vid Ian

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Start with some basic information

Age of machine, were you first purchaser etc..

Usage pattern of machine

Your Location and Type of water used

has this ever happened before or other things that you have never mentioned e.g. descaled it last week etc..

Other problems that have been fixed

Video

Just more information.......because if I write any more I will have written more than you have describing the problem....and as of now any answers you get won't be based on any quality information e.g. do this do that...but you're still under warranty and messing with it beyond a certain point might be bad advice.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

It would appear that I may have rushed on here in haste...

I couldn't resist and so turned it on again. It was slower to fill the boiler than usual but did get there and got up to temperature.

I have descaled it and back flushed with Cafiza. Touch wood, that seems to have done the job.

Out of courtesy the answer to @DavecUK questions:

It is around 15 months old. It gets used anywhere between 1 and 4 times per day, occasionally more when we have guests.

The steam is used once a day usually.

I live in a hard water area, however the machine is filled with BWT treated water.

It was last descaled around 8 months ago. There was no sign of scale when I descaled this morning. Maybe I just cleared a blockage somewhere.

Thank you for those that took the time to respond.

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

It sounds as if there is something happening and you may well find the problem happens again...I would keep an eye on it and perhaps consider taking it off any automated timer for now. If you think it was slower to fill than usual, that either means it was not filling before, a blockage slowing things down, something like that. If it doesn't fill again, look at the expansion valve outflow (note what that is doing), it could be an important indicator. e.g. nothing much = tank is filling, moderate flow = restriction, big flow = blockage and tank not filling.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

It sounds as if there is something happening and you may well find the problem happens again...I would keep an eye on it and perhaps consider taking it off any automated timer for now. If you think it was slower to fill than usual, that either means it was not filling before, a blockage slowing things down, something like that. If it doesn't fill again, look at the expansion valve outflow (note what that is doing), it could be an important indicator. e.g. nothing much = tank is filling, moderate flow = restriction, big flow = blockage and tank not filling.

Ok, thank you. I'll keep an eye on it and the expansion valve outflow.