Don't be shy....... maybe tell us how long it takes to complete your espresso making routine.

I have a friend who delights in telling people that "Snake makes a great coffee but the trouble is you have to wait half an hour while he does it! "

Not unnaturally, that hisses me off slightly and so the other day I decided to time my routine, from start to finish.

Two 5oz flat whites - Single Dose grinding - Using a double spouted portafilter.

NO pre-preparation whatsoever other than a fully warmed up Londinium-R

Milk in bottle in fridge, beans in cupboard in Airscape container etc.

Dispense from HW tap to warm 2 cups

Weigh dose of beans - Single dose grind Monolith Conical - Stir whilst grinding using Londinium distribution tool

Tap level - Tamp (Puqpress) - Load PF - Pre-Infuse - Release lever

Fill milk jug whilst shot pulls - Remove cups from flow on reaching target weight - Steam milk - Clean steam wand - Pour two x 5oz drinks

Wash 2 x jugs and scales drip tray - Use Espazzola group head cleaning tool - wipe drip tray - Things back in cupboards.

Everything tidy and clean.

I timed all four of one days sessions. I tried to be efficient but not rush.

Three of the four were sub seven minutes.

The last was 7min 5 seconds as at the last moment, I decided to take a photo.

Routine.jpg

Does that timing surprise anybody, one way or the other?

There are certainly some classic YouTube videos that show folk taking forever to grind, dose, let alone pull a shot and steam milk.

Lots of folk dismiss owning certain machines or maybe the notion single dosing on the basis of 'I don't have time to mess with that!'

I look forward to maybe hearing some of your thoughts.

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

"Snake makes a great coffee but the trouble is you have to wait half an hour while he does it! "

With friends like those . . . mind you, you do take quite a long time, don't you?!

Just timed my two flat whites tonight. The timer was 2 seconds over 4 minutes (when I got my blindfold off). I haven't put the jug away and my beans were ready weighed in my showy-off caddy. And I did go set my bath off inbetween :)

Out of interest, does your bacon box catch the water from the Espazziola then?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I am trying to word this so I don't get accused of being insensitive. It's not always about speed . . . if you enjoy the process and the coffee tastes great then sod your mate - give him some out of date NesCaf ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Don't be shy....... maybe tell us how long it takes to complete your espresso making routine.

I have a friend who delights in telling people that "Snake makes a great coffee but the trouble is you have to wait half an hour while he does it! "

Not unnaturally, that hisses me off slightly and so the other day I decided to time my routine, from start to finish.

Two 5oz flat whites - Single Dose grinding - Using a double spouted portafilter.

NO pre-preparation whatsoever other than a fully warmed up Londinium-R

Milk in bottle in fridge, beans in cupboard in Airscape container etc.

Dispense from HW tap to warm 2 cups

Weigh dose of beans - Single dose grind Monolith Conical - Stir whilst grinding using Londinium distribution tool

Tap level - Tamp (Puqpress) - Load PF - Pre-Infuse - Release lever

Fill milk jug whilst shot pulls - Remove cups from flow on reaching target weight - Steam milk - Clean steam wand - Pour two x 5oz drinks

Wash 2 x jugs and scales drip tray - Use Espazzola group head cleaning tool - wipe drip tray - Things back in cupboards.

Everything tidy and clean.

I timed all four of one days sessions. I tried to be efficient but not rush.

Three of the four were sub seven minutes.

The last was 7min 5 seconds as at the last moment, I decided to take a photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37099[/ATTACH]

Does that timing surprise anybody, one way or the other?

There are certainly some classic YouTube videos that show folk taking forever to grind, dose, let alone pull a shot and steam milk.

Lots of folk dismiss owning certain machines or maybe the notion single dosing on the basis of 'I don't have time to mess with that!'

I look forward to maybe hearing some of your thoughts.

perhaps you should try blindfolded - MildredM only took 4 mins 33 seconds!

I take off the pf, run 45 mls water, 6 seconds for grinding, not giving a care whether there is 17.2 0r 19 gm of coffee in the basket, level with finger, tamp and pour, steaming as we go...total time less than 60 seconds......if it is the Niche, add another 45 seconds

Out of interest, does your bacon box catch the water from the Espazziola then?

Don't be ridiculous !

[video=youtube_share;vZ_aswF1CX4]

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I take off the pf, run 45 mls water, 6 seconds for grinding, not giving a care whether there is 17.2 0r 19 gm of coffee in the basket, level with finger, tamp and pour, steaming as we go...total time less than 60 seconds......if it is the Niche, add another 45 seconds

Well wheres the fun in that ? ;)

Do you have a woman in to clean up ?

With the Portaspresso, I can do straight espresso in 7 minutes, and milk drink in around 9 :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Seriously, I can't not tidy up and clean down before I drink mine.

Mrs Snakehips snaffles hers and has drunk it before I even start.

If I'm making two lots of drinks I have to force myself not to clean the group and rinse everything after the first two.

Don't be ridiculous !

[video=youtube_share;vZ_aswF1CX4]

But doesn’t it make your pack-up wet?

other than a fully warmed up Londinium-R

Shouldn't warming up the machine count as prep as well?

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

out of curiosity, I've measured it tonight, 6:43 from zero to doppio :)

the shot itself (20g in 33g out, 2 bar PI) took 1:40

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

1 min 55 seconds this morning from start to finish, including a quick rummage around the cupboard to decide on beans (single dosing on EK43, beans weighed to 0.1g).

1 min 55 seconds this morning from start to finish, including a quick rummage around the cupboard to decide on beans (single dosing on EK43, beans weighed to 0.1g).

Well make me feel inadequate then, why don't you ! ;)

Approx 2 minutes , morning ritual is to complete coffee before bagel pops from the toaster . As the timer on the scales is normally around 40-50 seconds I didn’t think this was too bad .

normally stretching the milk before the shot has finished .

to make 2 drinks I’m guessing I couldn’t get any quicker than 4.30mins

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Approx 2 minutes , morning ritual is to complete coffee before bagel pops from the toaster . As the timer on the scales is normally around 40-50 seconds I didn’t think this was too bad .

normally stretching the milk before the shot has finished .

to make 2 drinks I’m guessing I couldn’t get any quicker than 4.30mins

^^ That makes me feel better.

Two flat whites this morning, milk steamed after shots pulled and excluding the cleaning and tidying --- 4 minutes 7 seconds.

Given you are also using Londinium and need to pull the cup from the flow once you get desired shot weight do you ever struggle to steam milk in time?

when I worked on 2 group Linea with Fio 64evo (grinding 18g in 3.8 sec), I could do two flats under 2 minutes, steaming while brewing..it was great fun :)

^^ That makes me feel better.

Two flat whites this morning, milk steamed after shots pulled and excluding the cleaning and tidying --- 4 minutes 7 seconds.

Given you are also using Londinium and need to pull the cup from the flow once you get desired shot weight do you ever struggle to steam milk in time?

No.

(Sorry to poke my nose in)!

when I worked on 2 group Linea with Fio 64evo (grinding 18g in 3.8 sec), I could do two flats under 2 minutes, steaming while brewing..it was great fun :)

2 in 2 minutes ! Stan, just remember that I'm only an amateur and I've got a bus pass !!

No.

(Sorry to poke my nose in)!

Who asked you ?

2 in 2 minutes ! Stan, just remember that I'm only an amateur and I've got a bus pass !!

no worries I'm in leisure mode too these days..sort of lol

I just successfully steamed whilst the shot was pulling but it was a bit tight.

I reckon my GP would prefer me to keep the two things separate.

I just successfully steamed whilst the shot was pulling but it was a bit tight.

I reckon my GP would prefer me to keep the two things separate.

Why do you think baristas have such toned butt...s :) :) :)

ac2f391b0be2c0308c6dca6480070c0f.jpg

The Sage DTP was turned on a while ago.

Process:

* weigh the beans (for the Niche)

* warm up the portafilter with running water through the empty basket and start the grinder

* stop the machine and dry the portafilter

* find the pf funnel, invert the grind cup and stir the grinds

* tap, distribute the grinds and tamp

* start the brew and get the cold milk into the milk jug

* purge the steam wand

* froth and pour some shaky latte art

* clean the wand, rinse the jug

Still no idea why it’s 5min 15s. I would have predicted it to be slower, but wished it was faster. I was also stumbling in the kitchen a fair bit!

ac2f391b0be2c0308c6dca6480070c0f.jpg

The Sage DTP was turned on a while ago.

Process:

* weigh the beans (for the Niche)

* warm up the portafilter with running water through the empty basket and start the grinder

* stop the machine and dry the portafilter

* find the pf funnel, invert the grind cup and stir the grinds

* tap, distribute the grinds and tamp

* start the brew and get the cold milk into the milk jug

* purge the steam wand

* froth and pour some shaky latte art

* clean the wand, rinse the jug

Still no idea why it’s 5min 15s. I would have predicted it to be slower, but wished it was faster. I was also stumbling in the kitchen a fair bit!

5min 15 sec. That's more like it !!! And that was for only the one drink. ;)

Almost makes me feel positively swift.