Hello folks!

Sorry if this is a repeat of other threads previously but thought I should make a new one so everyone could see it.

So... unlike the previous thread about a new mobile coffee business, I have the experience of making coffee (3 years Pro Barista in Speciality Coffee) working in some great shops in Yorkshire with top coffee from roasters such as Square Mile, Workshop, Dark Woods etc. Although I have experience of making good coffee my technical experience with equipment and electrics is not so good.

Ideally I wanted to go down the route of opening my own shop but just finding it difficult with finance and I think a little lack of confidence, so thought it may be best to go down the mobile route for a bit to start with.

I'm here just to get some advice really as this forums seems full of people with lots of sound working knowledge.

What I have currently is a Toyota Hiace van (Reliable but not new) with a tailgate back door. My intention is to put a coffee machine, grinder, sink and jug wash in the back and serve coffee at events starting asap. I'm even thinking of going down the route of driving around business parks throughout the week to serve coffee to the corporate world. I'm based in the North East, approx 45 minute drive from Newcastle and so was thinking of Christmas Markets or finding a regular pitch on a weekend in a city.

My dilemma is that I already bought a machine back when I was thinking about opening a shop. It's a lovely machine Faema E61 Legend but it's not so suitable for mobile. It's a machine that I'm reluctant to sell as it fits with my business model when I eventually get round to doing it, so if I could use it it would be ideal. I've spoken to someone who has experience with this machine (technically, he's a lot more clued up than me) and he suggested not to downrate the machine but to just buy a generator that will power it. The max power of machine is like 4-4.5KW, I'd obviously need a grinder, and as the machine is single boiler it's not so great in recovery so would probably need either a separate hot water boiler for Americano or use a Fetco for batch filter as black coffee option. The generator I was looking at (although it's not silent diesel) its a more affordable and quieter petrol/LPG that I was going to run in the back of the van, piping out the exhaust.

Do you think I would be stupid to try an run this set up or should I just try and invest in something like a Fracino level machine, which I could run on LPG and leisure battery?

I would also be looking a weddings, which could be indoor and no way of lifting that beast. Does anyone know if the Fracino 2 groups are liftable by one person?

Would appreciate any advice. I'll keep this thread as my ongoing progress so can ask further questions.

Cheers,

Steve

@coffeebean May be able to offer advice/equipment with this.

Apart from equipment have you looked into a street trading licence, waste licence, hygiene regs, insurance etc? These are a few things you could get on with while you simultaneously get your van equipped.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

To answer your last question - if you can comfortably lift between around 35-50kg depending on machine model and have long arms to get round a large machine then I think you’d struggle to lift it on your own.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Will be looking into these. I have bit of experience with insurance and hygiene as I've done a mobile business in the past. Is the waste license you talk about for if you were street trading because it's commercial waste?

Will be looking into these. I have bit of experience with insurance and hygiene as I've done a mobile business in the past. Is the waste license you talk about for if you were street trading because it's commercial waste?

Yes. We run a very small business, a mobile Ice Cream trike, and even for that we had to have a trade waste licence (even though we don’t actually generate any waste because the used plastic Ice Cream cartons go to a local school and the few cardboard boxes get reused for packing/posting boxes by a neighbour). Where we live we couldn’t obtain the STL without having the TWL!

Yes. We run a very small business, a mobile Ice Cream trike, and even for that we had to have a trade waste licence (even though we don’t actually generate any waste because the used plastic Ice Cream cartons go to a local school and the few cardboard boxes get reused for packing/posting boxes by a neighbour). Where we live we couldn’t obtain the STL without having the TWL!

Are you referring to a waste carriers license ?

I can see that you would need this as any packaging, waste cups etc would be classed as waste. A lot of companies fall foul of transporting waste without a carriers license.

Good news is that if the waste is generated by yourself then, generally speaking, a waste carriers license if free.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Are you assuming you can just turn up at events and trade ? Car boot sales and markets have the usual traders who attend weekly normally paying a premium for the site annually

I tried on several occasions and found it a CLOSED shop , also check with the local council regarding street trading licences BEFORE spending any more money

ECM Heidelberg Barista Espresso Coffee Machine :coffee:

Eureka Mignon grinder

Are you referring to a waste carriers license ?

I can see that you would need this as any packaging, waste cups etc would be classed as waste. A lot of companies fall foul of transporting waste without a carriers license.

Good news is that if the waste is generated by yourself then, generally speaking, a waste carriers license if free.

Not free here! We have to have a waste bin for the season, emptied every 2 weeks. When I say emptied, it’s rare it gets put out because it’s usually empty to start with!

Edit to add it isn’t a waste carriers licence, it’s a commercial waste licence ;)

Edited by MildredM

Around here, North Lincolnshire, we pay about £80 per 3 months for our ur STL for named villages. It increased hugely if we wanted to trade in town (we didn’t!). Being seasonal we didn’t want a yearly licence and, annoyingly, they don’t offer a 6 month licence. It’s a palaver. North Lincs Council don’t do this service online so everything has to be printed out, filled in, and the resulting dozen sheets of paper (including photos) sent to their office. Every time.

@coffeehit78 you may be better sending your email by pm, and deleting off the forum, if you don’t want a load of spam . . .

You should be able to edit your post to remove the address.

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Not free here! We have to have a waste bin for the season, emptied every 2 weeks. When I say emptied, it’s rare it gets put out because it’s usually empty to start with!

Edit to add it isn’t a waste carriers licence, it’s a commercial waste licence ;)

Ah yes. Commercial waste cant be disposed of in domestic waste. However, if you could demonstrate that all of your commercial waste is recycled by showing your waste transfer notes then I cant see how they could insist on you having a commercial waste bin.

If you are bringing waste back to the house from a venue then you would need a waste carriers license by the letter of the legislation. How many do this in similar situations will be very few. We have customers who thought that because their waste had a values (eg scrap metal, glass window panes) that they didn't need a waste carriers license - they now have one and waste transfer notes with all mobile teams.

What is this commercial waste license ? It isn't something that I have come across. Do you have a link to the application ?

a grinder a lever and some beans

Ah yes. Commercial waste cant be disposed of in domestic waste. However, if you could demonstrate that all of your commercial waste is recycled by showing your waste transfer notes then I cant see how they could insist on you having a commercial waste bin.

If you are bringing waste back to the house from a venue then you would need a waste carriers license by the letter of the legislation. How many do this in similar situations will be very few. We have customers who thought that because their waste had a values (eg scrap metal, glass window panes) that they didn't need a waste carriers license - they now have one and waste transfer notes with all mobile teams.

What is this commercial waste license ? It isn't something that I have come across. Do you have a link to the application ?

We don’t require a waste carriers licence.

A commercial waste licence: It’s basically a large bin for commercial waste:

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/bins-waste-recycling/commercial-waste-collection/commercial-waste-and-recycling-containers/

We don’t require a waste carriers licence.

A commercial waste licence: It’s basically a large bin for commercial waste:

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/bins-waste-recycling/commercial-waste-collection/commercial-waste-and-recycling-containers/

Do you mind me asking why you don't require a waste carriers license?

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

Do you mind me asking why you don't require a waste carriers license?

Not at all. It’s because we don’t dispose of any 3rd party waste, we only dispose of our own.

Different councils seem to have very different rules.... I don't need any licences at all here, just need to be checked by environmental health and registered with council......

https://thecoffeebean-vanandroaster.co.uk/

[email protected] 

Toper Cafemino - Fracino Contempo Dual - Fracino K3 - Piaggio Ape............fresh beans!:)

Different councils seem to have very different rules.... I don't need any licences at all here, just need to be checked by environmental health and registered with council......

Is that just for events or street trading though?

I trade outside Aberdare rfc every day

On their forecourt/private land presumably. We need one to be on the road, and for the way we trade, just like any other mobile Ice Cream van. Then there’s a peddler licence, granted by the police .....