I bought some glass, double walled glasses as I thought they would help with keeping my drink hot longer. This did work but, they seem to kill the test of my coffee and I can't work out if I'm going slightly mad of if there is good reason for this? I've hesitated posting this as it sounds a bit crazy to me but every time I go back to them to try my coffee tastes bitter.

I mainly drink Americano so I normally extract directly into the cup with hot water already in to avoid transferring espresso between cups. These cups are too tall to sit under the portafilter and whilst allowing scales so I do transfer between an espresso cup and these so there is a slight difference in my workflow.

Am I loosing the plot or can different cups have an effect on the drink? If so, are they any recommended cups that help keep the final drink warm?

Sage Oracle, SGP, Niche Zero, joey24dirt custom tamper

Aeropress

I use double walled glasses and do transfer from an espresso cup to the taller glass as you describe too and I haven't really noticed anything of the sort. Have you tried pulling one in a normal cup and one in the double walled and compare side to side?

I use double walled glasses and do transfer from an espresso cup to the taller glass as you describe too and I haven't really noticed anything of the sort. Have you tried pulling one in a normal cup and one in the double walled and compare side to side?

I haven't done this side by side but I have done it with the same bean. I tend to keep notes on each shot to help me refer back and during this I can see each American is good and then I'll try the glass cup and it's not so nice. Odd result I had to say. I may try another glass then.

Aeropress

Different shaped vessels can affect the taste due to how the liquid hit's your palette. If you're ever in Belgium you see just about every one of their fruit beers has it's own different shaped glass.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Different shaped vessels can affect the taste due to how the liquid hit's your palette. If you're ever in Belgium you see just about every one of their fruit beers has it's own different shaped glass.

Ok, that could be it. Some experimenting needed I think.

Aeropress

I bought some glass, double walled glasses as I thought they would help with keeping my drink hot longer. This did work but, they seem to kill the test of my coffee and I can't work out if I'm going slightly mad of if there is good reason for this? I've hesitated posting this as it sounds a bit crazy to me but every time I go back to them to try my coffee tastes bitter.

I mainly drink Americano so I normally extract directly into the cup with hot water already in to avoid transferring espresso between cups. These cups are too tall to sit under the portafilter and whilst allowing scales so I do transfer between an espresso cup and these so there is a slight difference in my workflow.

Am I loosing the plot or can different cups have an effect on the drink? If so, are they any recommended cups that help keep the final drink warm?

Really glad you posted this! Me too. I have Bodum double walled glasses. I reckon I lose around 25% of flavour compared to my china mug. I drink americano too. What ashroc says makes sense. I always use a proper whisky glass for my single malt, Riedl glasses for my red wine & Belgian style beer glass for my craft ale!

It’s not something simple like rinse aid in the glasses? I tend to hand wash my cups but sling all my glassware in the dishwasher...

Sounds like the "Coke in a bottle" phenomenon. (Most people seem to swear that coke out of a glass bottle tastes sweeter or smoother than out of a can or PET bottle). That said I do think vessel shape has a role - try drinking wine out of a teacup or mug. That said, I randomly chose to drink my Aeropress out of a double wall cup today. I must say I didn't notice anything amiss. Yesterday I used it for a flat white, and while it didn't strike me as tasting particularly different, it kind of felt 'wrong' compared to my Acme cups. I think perception is influenced by preconception for sure.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I'd wonder too about drink temperature. I'm not keen on double walled glasses (though I have used them for cupping) because the temptation is always there to get stuck in whilst the drink is too hot.

I prefer to gauge the temp of the drink by feeling the wall of a single wall cup - too hot to touch, too hot to drink.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Related to shape having an impact - https://www.timwendelboe.no/figgjo-cups

Temp for sure as well, I almost go the other way to try and make sure it's cool quickly because I don't like to hang around when I'm ready to drink it

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com