Just read through the last few dozens of posts. Sounds great!

There's a bit more to it, like English product labelling that meets UK standards. But we're on it, will keep you posted!
I'm surprised that's a requirement considering it's essentially a product people are buying from Austria mail order via a website.

I've had several European coffees where the label was in the mother tongue.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I'm surprised that's a requirement considering it's essentially a product people are buying from Austria mail order via a website.

I've had several European coffees where the label was in the mother tongue.

I don't know what the requirements are specifically, but I guess not everybody does it by the book! ...surely we could care less however having the feeling we may as well do it right from the beginning.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

I don't know what the requirements are specifically, but I guess not everybody does it by the book! ...surely we could care less however having the feeling we may as well do it right from the beginning.
Funnily enough I got a bag from Hot Roasted Love in Bielefeld in this months & box which is (unsurprisingly) labeled in German. They do include a booklt of this months coffees which include the variety, process, tasting notes etc in english so maybe just a slip of paper in the packaging translated into the destination countries language would work? It seems a bit less wasteful to me than having more stamps made up, especially if done on recycled paper.

Funnily enough I got a bag from Hot Roasted Love in Bielefeld in this months & box which is (unsurprisingly) labeled in German. They do include a booklt of this months coffees which include the variety, process, tasting notes etc in english so maybe just a slip of paper in the packaging translated into the destination countries language would work? It seems a bit less wasteful to me than having more stamps made up, especially if done on recycled paper.

yep, my thoughts exactly - it would also keep its originality and stuff. We'll have to figure out what needs to be on that extra slip of paper in that case

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Fixed that for you

There's a bit more to it, like English product labelling that meets UK standards. But we're on it, will keep you *roasted!*

Baseline: Bodum Arabica French Press, Pact pre-ground // Gotta start somewhere!

June-18: Gaggia Classic (2007) w/usual refinements; VST basket; Fiorenzato F5 w/lens hood mod.

Sep-18: Espro Ultralight Travel Press // Not cheap, but worth every cent.

Oct-18: ACS Minima Beta, Niche Zero. Pullman 18g basket & Big Step // Livin' the dream

Dang. It's mostly about beans, and consistency.

Receiving user name and password for online shipment creation service/tool of chosen forwarder by next week - offer was based on national shipping. Only after we log in, we'll see worldwide freight costs. Holy moly, didn't expect such a procedure...

Meanwhile, we prepared our first monthly settlement excitement! Party time!

And I've been going through offers for H1 NSF certified high-temp lubricants. Jesus, those cost a fortune!

Would be interesting to hear what grease other roasters use or recommend... ( @DavecUK maybe? )

says Hasi.

With all construction activities finished, it was time to pay the contractors.

Not so much party time... but we knew what would be coming as everybody had to hand in binding offers before the start. Apart from it being a good idea in general, handing in binding offers was a requirement to apply for a subsidised founder's loan from some national fund. Anyways, I've prepared the final form to be signed off by both bank and tax counsellors. Creating the lump sum I figured we're 400-something quid away from a minimum investment sum that would trigger 1500 quid of government aid for founders.

Got me a Niche for that matter.

And you know what? It never felt better to buy something that makes for a grand in cash back.

:whistle:;):p;):whistle:

Erm, did someone say party time?!

says Hasi.

Today I finally found time to open the package that's been dropped off on Monday...

be96c60ad71366f129ddb8920f6558ff.jpg

A month's worth of family grocery shopping in a grease press. Funny enough, the grease price is almost equal to the press price, squared!! Sincerely hoping this is a lifetime filling totally didn't expect a fool... erm food-save (NSF H1 and ISO certified) lubricant to be this costly.

Thought I'd quickly lube the drum bearings, which went nearly too well at first. When I tried to undo couple from grease nipple, it simply didn't move! So had to go berserk removing all panels to gain proper access to the grease nipple...

7226be087c42bc107f2d50bbfb48175f.jpg

...when I ultimately had salvaged the grease nipple and couple assembly, I tried for the longest time getting to the bottom of the problem. Without success so far. But grease is in on both ends so I'll come back to that nipple some other day.

While being at it, I took up belt slack and vacuum cleaned the internals.

Makes me wonder why servicing stuff just can't run smoothly for once...

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

Contributing to a crowdfunding campaign bears the problem of pulling out a receipt suitable to capitalise the purchase as company asset.

Quick email to the friendly faces at Niche got me an almost instant answer we are very delighted with!

Thank you everybody at Niche, especially James and Annie, for your super speedy solution and forwarding of a regular invoice

Edited by Hasi
improved language (hopefully)

says Hasi.

03efbd23dda5c8b7a209fe7913b8dc4b.jpg

Roast day late coffee break!

says Hasi.

53f18a1677b19f1879d2efa92c4f76fe.jpg

Someone knows who this is for...

says Hasi.

With the new harvest coming to a close* and our little storage emptying slowly, but steadily, I thought about securing a few more bags to keep up current supply. I'm new to this stuff, so got on the phone with importers to talk contracting. Seems easier that I thought it'd be...

You specify quantity and time frame within which you can pull out reserved bags as you wish. Basically handles like your own external warehouse.

Contract includes current price plus a very very small storage surcharge. While market prices may vary in the meantime, costs and availability are guaranteed - planning hooray!

As it looks like by now, we can't stock a year's worth of greens in a sensible way. So contracting appears to be a suitable workaround for the time being.

* Americas - first reports from field trips sound promising btw

says Hasi.

Just want to add to this thread. I started my first pack of beans from the man, the legend @Hasi. I’ll do a proper review once I’m dialled in correctly.

What I did find straight away is the packaging and label are perfect...

c625e380cf6ca604c57aa9f2c561d632.jpg

Little tip for anyone who hasn’t noticed it yet

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Just want to add to this thread. I started my first pack of beans from the man, the legend @Hasi. I’ll do a proper review once I’m dialled in correctly.

What I did find straight away is the packaging and label are perfect...

c625e380cf6ca604c57aa9f2c561d632.jpg

Little tip for anyone who hasn’t noticed it yet

Ace!

Thanks Joey, great find

Now, erm, nervousness on the rise... a proper review that's the point of no return reached.

says Hasi.

Ace!

Thanks Joey, great find

Now, erm, nervousness on the rise... a proper review that's the point of no return reached.

It is, and after my spanking in the lever day thread, I’m going to be thorough

Nah all honesty, I’ve pulled one shot, which took waaayyy too long. 15g > 32g in about 60 seconds. These beans are darker than my norm. However...... I made a flat white and it was really tasty

So tomorrow I’ve got my mate over who is looking to get a home setup. I’ll get these dialled and have a little tasting session. Looking forward to it

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

It is, and after my spanking in the lever day thread, I’m going to be thorough

Nah all honesty, I’ve pulled one shot, which took waaayyy too long. 15g > 32g in about 60 seconds. These beans are darker than my norm. However...... I made a flat white and it was really tasty

So tomorrow I’ve got my mate over who is looking to get a home setup. I’ll get these dialled and have a little tasting session. Looking forward to it

Haha, ok hit me!

So this is a washed typica out of La Berlina Estate in Boquete, Panama. Thank you for writing up your experience - it's thrilling to archive the unfiltered info within this thread

Yep, they are a bit darker. Taste notes captured during sample roasting and profiling suggested to not go too light on these... toffee, creamy, praline, sweet. I'll try to work my way up the roast colour chart without pushing acidity too much. Wouldn't suit the mellow core, I believe. Also, it comes without a certain fruitiness to complement an increased acidity.

And I wanted to make sure you and @Snakehips and @MildredM have received the same roast profile so everybody can throw in an opinion?

says Hasi.

Haha, ok hit me!

So this is a washed typica out of La Berlina Estate in Boquete, Panama. Thank you for writing up your experience - it's thrilling to archive the unfiltered info within this thread

Yep, they are a bit darker. Taste notes captured during sample roasting and profiling suggested to not go too light on these... toffee, creamy, praline, sweet. I'll try to work my way up the roast colour chart without pushing acidity too much. Wouldn't suit the mellow core, I believe. Also, it comes without a certain fruitiness to complement an increased acidity.

And I wanted to make sure you and @Snakehips and @MildredM have received the same roast profile so everybody can throw in an opinion?

That’s great. I’m always open to trying different things, and I’m glad I did. I’m just eager to get it dialled to where I’m used to so I can make sure I’m not missing anything. Need to try it as espresso too I dare say I’ll spend most of my day flying high tomorrow.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Ok, on with the news!

Today saw the first food regulatory examination. We're still in operation! but first things first...

Guy called me while at work (not roasting but the other 9-5), saying he'd be in the area after lunch. So I was to check out, drive home and show him around.

There weren't many things he pointed out:

- get lighting right: currently just unprotected bulbs (possible contamination upon breakage) for we couldn't hang permanent LEDs yet

- get paper towels for hand wash (would have had single-use-then-machine-wash cotton towels, didn't help) @MildredM can you sew on paper as well?!

- hand in product data sheets for packaging (EU regulation 1935/2004 conformity declaration)

- get in touch with a certified lab for product tests

- keep complete record of where our batch no.s went to and from which bag(s) they stemmed from (in case of a recall, esp. on part of a supplier)

- clearly display best before date (roasted on +6 months doesn't count) - currently thinking hard about that...

So, that's a few things added to my todo-list. But at least guy and I were talking the same language, no hard feelings and such.

says Hasi.

Was on the phone with a local grocer who recently went into business, as well. They showed interest in listing our coffees, as well as taking orders for individual bags such as for different roast levels and grind sizes.

If it works out, they would also want to use our beans for their tiny coffee corner. Would first need to inspect their current possibilities equipment- and taste-wise

I've therefore also posted a retail-specific question in the Business Owners' support forum - can't place a link via Tapatalk, really.

Anyhow, keeping our fingers crossed for the time being!!

says Hasi.

Was on the phone with a local grocer who recently went into business, as well. They showed interest in listing our coffees, as well as taking orders for individual bags such as for different roast levels and grind sizes.

If it works out, they would also want to use our beans for their tiny coffee corner. Would first need to inspect their current possibilities equipment- and taste-wise

I've therefore also posted a retail-specific question in the Business Owners' support forum - can't place a link via Tapatalk, really.

Anyhow, keeping our fingers crossed for the time being!!

Here's a linky for you (done on tapatalk). Good luck getting your beans out there.

Here's a linky for you (done on tapatalk). Good luck getting your beans out there.

Sly as a fox... thx mate and apparent TT power user!

Was just coming back to fix it :D

says Hasi.

In other news, I've developed a little POS tool... a sample of which we were able to test recently:

8d2b7891ff1119d0b5d719cc98b99370.jpg

7d07bbbc5a4f832ae0eb25d32d507d0f.jpg

f600b99f7f91d5e3427204aa84eb02ed.jpg

You might ask, what's that got to do with coffee... long story short we'll use the central board for steady advertising at each table.

Everything else serves the purpose of making the whole thing stay where it's supposed to be

says Hasi.

I would be tempted to switch the board out for one of these to stop the clips disappearing :whistle:

but its a great idea for POS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A5-Quality-Wooden-Clipboard-with-Hanging-Hole-Clip-Board-Holder/352439720120?epid=2255805780&hash=item520f0b58b8:g:084AAOSwfwFcY8~3

keep calm and grind flat

I would be tempted to switch the board out for one of these to stop the clips disappearing :whistle:

but its a great idea for POS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A5-Quality-Wooden-Clipboard-with-Hanging-Hole-Clip-Board-Holder/352439720120?epid=2255805780&hash=item520f0b58b8:g:084AAOSwfwFcY8~3

Haha, yea I was thinking of those with a hole up the handle to maybe attach them if necessary:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grip-Clips-Money-Clip-Letter-Binder-Paper-Clamp-Silver-Bulldog-Metal-50mm-75mm/192740809972?var=&hash=item2ce03f5cf4

But this ain't a big city café full of youngsters trying to snag a souvenir...

The board is not final yet, going to be solid black melamine you can also write on with chalk pens.

Wood is final, some nice and heavy oak not only suits the place but also makes for a more wind-proof layout when placed in the beer... erm... coffee garden.

Here's some CAD screenshots, one also showing a grip hole as well as a table number...

af16944716120ae2d0390229fa0dcd0b.jpg

3c5101c093f76aa05f828cc5c6fd66f6.jpg

says Hasi.