Now that you mentioned it...

Actually, there is!

Repacked my latest private reserve batch.

Figured that it wouldn’t be wrong to have some sort of plunger/funnel long enough to push pouch bottoms in place. Otherwise filling them is a PITA... don’t want to reach into the bag, gloves or not. Maybe going to interview a metalworker about this.

Although a bigger scoop might also do it...

Bigger roasteries have their weighing and filling stations - just not affordable for us.

Something like a flour scoop may work if you can find one that fit's in the bag.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Today saw the grinder arrive. Happy times!

Most items are here now - funny enough they’re sitting around our basement waiting to be moved in.

So what‘s the status...

437eab2b203165b4347f3fd5357c9402.jpg

c1b6865a078833462609f671b40db1f2.jpg

Finally poured the concrete

Dry walling 99% done - except for a 30cm high piece above cable channel. Need to wait for the outer wall and window elements to arrive before I can finish that corner.

Electric installations 80% done, only a bit of wiring and sockets left.

tbc by next week!

Meanwhile...

One last (not so professionally looking) workshop-side cupping so we can make a first purchasing decision.

bb20376af4738dd7654c67a7f628c10a.jpg

Get ready to ruuumble!

PS: please excuse them funny cups as I’ve spent ages desperately searching for 8 equally sized containers...

Edited by Hasi

Just thinking - your USP Unique Selling Point, you say that good roast coffee is a rarity in your part of the world so you can grab some USP about your location -

Roasted at higher altitude for Tyrol freshness and fuller flavour - maybe not but you get my drift.

Add an online vlog about each coffee ?

Add social value by linking in a local charity in some way?

or make a list of the main Austrian roasters USP,s and find a gap- have a look internationally what do other top roasters use that may be appropriate for your roastery.

I always thank that the USP is often overlooked, people just need a small extra reason to choose or believe in this coffee over that coffee. Adding a story or message sells.

Its all looking good by the way ;)

keep calm and grind flat

Thanks @jimbojohn55

Our part of the world haha, yea maybe not on that large a scale... we have good coffees and a bunch of interesting small batch specialty roasters in Austria - which is a good thing! Quite a few, however, tend to lean towards the hip and nerdy side of coffee culture.

My mother would always say that whenever an original place becomes fashionable it’ll be destroyed within a few years. Because who’s gonna go there after it was a thing?

So that is going to be one main goal: stay grounded, don’t do fancy pants stuff, don’t attract too many hipsters, provide good coffee to the people, to the average Joe.

And we’re gonna communicate that - everything will be simple and understandable. Offering a small selection in an affordable price range where local folk is still willing to pay for regional manufacture from organic and traceable raw materials.

Of course we’ll be there to help customers unlock the taste, be it through explanatory roast on view type things or tasting sessions. But more out of an educational and recreational kind of motivation than to wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork

The best part is, we‘ll only operate on demand and let word of mouth be our broadcast/marketing strategy. No need to instantly make a living from it

Love the charity idea, mate!

It’s one thing to offer environmentally friendly, sustainable, fair products - but it’s yet another thing to give back to local community and people in need. On top of all the aforementioned aspects!

"But more out of an educational and recreational kind of motivation than to wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" might be my favourite sentence of all time.

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

"But more out of an educational and recreational kind of motivation than to wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" might be my favourite sentence of all time.

^ agree - im going to start using that in everyday conversation - particularly with the coffin dodgers at the local church who keep blocking the road with their horrendously parked - look at the size of my pension 4x4s , but apparently its ok because their "just visiting church"

This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle:

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

There you go...!

45e99c5b9c7992bec2f7e952e4ce3076.jpg

Connecting the dots... sort of.

Sometimes it’s about the little things - like filling joints and screw holes. But hullo, many a mickle makes a muckle!

Finally I ran out of plaster so have to hit the hardware store tomorrow.

The entertainment aspect of this forum never ceases to amaze me :) :) :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

The entertainment aspect of this forum never ceases to amaze me :) :) :)

it’s what makes us come back every day, not?

Trouble is it comes to my mind reading some posts :)

Also the coffin dodgers and pension 4x4 every time I get in my truck :(

a2f973c08081bde026038e7cf2fd4198.jpg

Decision time!

Here lay the latest cupping notes, very professionally draped on the living room floor.

We don’t happen to have a suitable magnetic/pin board to fit them all on. In fact we don’t have anything like that at all... so on the floor it shall be.

All of a sudden it feels kinda tough to pick a foundation to build our brand on - haha!

Well then...

Oh what a setback... after endless hours of cupping, reading through my notes, thinking and re-thinking I've placed my final enquiry the other night.

Guess what, moments ago I read about two of the core components for the espresso blend being fecking out of stock!! With one of them being listed as 1000+ bags available couple weeks ago. No way! Who bought all that?!

Aight, back to the start...

Oh what a setback... after endless hours of cupping, reading through my notes, thinking and re-thinking I've placed my final enquiry the other night.

Guess what, moments ago I read about two of the core components for the espresso blend being fecking out of stock!! With one of them being listed as 1000+ bags available couple weeks ago. No way! Who bought all that?!

Flipping infuriating. Back to the . . . err floor board?!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I'd take that as a big learning experience. I often had to drop on a good coffee quickly or it would all go within hours...not days. You rarely get the luxury of time to do a super meticulous taste testing and blend construction with the expectation that the particular and very specific coffees chosen are still going to be available. Unless of course they are not in particularly high demand...but then perhaps you don't want to buy them either if that's the case.

Perhaps I see it differently though as I don't really believe in blends the way the industry currently does things....I think there are far better ways to do blending both from a consumer and roasters perspective. Unfortunately the industry just isn't quite there yet and the whole thinking behind blends was really bulk supplies to the industry. This has perpetuated systems and ideas that dog the consumer of today.

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Crem One 2B, ACS Vesuvius, Izzo Duetto MK1, ACS Minima, Lelit Bianca Prototype, Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, VDT Vibration thing: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Keep your eyes on the offerings lists, these 'missing' coffees often miraculously reappear.

No idea why, maybe reconsidered orders after cupping a sample or just bad stock control?

Yep, steep learning curve over here!

Deep breath and on to the next...

Yep, steep learning curve over here!

Deep breath and on to the next...

Make good relationships with your green supplier, have them recommend stuff to you, ask them to send a sample and they will often save you a bag until you have tried it.

Make good relationships with your green supplier, have them recommend stuff to you, ask them to send a sample and they will often save you a bag until you have tried it.

Good one, thanks mate!

Hasi, I'm sure you mentioned bean scoops at some point. Is this any use?

Could be a brainfart on my part, obvs...

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/rattleware-kilo-scoop

Baseline: Bodum Arabica French Press, Pact pre-ground // Gotta start somewhere!

June-18: Gaggia Classic (2007) w/usual refinements; VST basket; Fiorenzato F5 w/lens hood mod.

Sep-18: Espro Ultralight Travel Press // Not cheap, but worth every cent.

Oct-18: ACS Minima Beta, Niche Zero. Pullman 18g basket & Big Step // Livin' the dream

Dang. It's mostly about beans, and consistency.

that looks like a fun funnel!

but why 40 for a piece of plastic :confused:

Must've had sone serious R&D? I'm sure you coould make something similar for a fraction of the cost if you have access to a 3d printer or are any good a carving wood.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Must've had sone serious R&D? I'm sure you coould make something similar for a fraction of the cost if you have access to a 3d printer or are any good a carving wood.

I‘d even have access to multiple 3D printers, however, operating them within beverage industry I’ve also learnt about their limitations with regard to food safety.

I‘ll look for a metal one, maybe a fodder shovel. The less it has to do with coffee the cheaper, I figured