I'd have thought that the only way that could happen is getting the burr carrier in and out. Not use. I've been using mine for some time now and only cleaned it out once a couple of months after I started using it, Just curiosity really. Over 12 months now. I wonder if the calibration has slipped so will be dismantling shortly so may as well clean it.

It would be interesting to see a photo of the sides of the burr carrier parts that could cause this.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

1 hour ago, Inspector said:

Last few days i have noticed the motor sound of my Niche was changed. Can't describe to what but just different than usual. Burr carrier was stiffened too and i thought there might be grounds between threads again I thought it is time of the month to clean it up. I dismantled everything as usual cleaned up all threads when i put back everything it was stiffer to turn definitely not cross threaded just stiffer. On a close inspection on threads i have noticed this (see pictures) how is your grinder's threads looks like? It has a weird play as well like left to right when i press on on adjustment ring. When there is no upper burr placed, adjusting ring smoothly goes up and down but when i placed the burr i can't even move it from 10 to 20 without my fingers slipping on it. Only way to turn it is to push down slightly then turn it. Also noticed having scratches on top burr carrier. Cant remember if they were there. I bought it last june.  Any ideas what to do? 

IMG_20200112_215549.jpg

IMG_20200112_215525.jpg

15788671164081833078410578275619.jpg

Def not there originally? Looks like the tool used to machine the pockets has caught the thread. 

Haven't dismantled mine yet as only had it a few weeks, but would imagine it would take some force to do that just by removing the burr carrier, not to mention keeping it fairly uniform? 

Sage DB - Niche

@Inspector - if I were you, I’d report that to Niche, hello at niche coffee.co.uk, as it’s surely not normal.

Not sure if it looks cross threaded how old is your Niche

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

1 hour ago, Jony said:

Not sure if it looks cross threaded how old is your Niche

That's not cross threaded. It might happen if the burr carrier rocked side to side in use. I don't think it can near the top of the thread as the adjuster is screwed in when it is used. So I suspect it has been done when the burr carrier is removed / replaced. It's not the easiest of things to lift out. To do it in use the adjuster would need to just be engaged with one thread pitch right at the top of the hole in the body. Sound a mite coarse to me for any adjustment that would be used in practice. Can't say as I noticed how many threads are engaged over the grind settings that might be used but would hope it's more than one even when people are grinding for different methods.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

Thanks for replies. It is 7 months old. I look after my gear like apple of my eye :) this was the 4th time i have cleaned since june. And everytime i wipe clean threads and re grease them. When i inspect adjustment ring yesterday i didn't see any deformation on threads. 

I will send an email to niche later today to ask what's happened or happening. 

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I can't see the slight radius. Affecting anything? 

Does the top burr carrier move up and down freely when inserted, can you push it down all the way with fingers against springs before adjustment ring fitted? 

Does the adjustment ring screw in and move freely all the way in and out with no top burr inserted? 

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

21 minutes ago, Inspector said:

Thanks for replies. It is 7 months old. I look after my gear like apple of my eye :) this was the 4th time i have cleaned since june. And everytime i wipe clean threads and re grease them. When i inspect adjustment ring yesterday i didn't see any deformation on threads. 

I will send an email to niche later today to ask what's happened or happening. 

You have a bruised thread.Something round has pressed into it or rubbed against it so there is localised damage adjacent to the springs - the ears on the carrier or anything sticking out of them might do that but hard to see how. I can't help wondering if it's removal or replacement of the burr carrier, most likely when replacing and things not being level as the bruising goes more or less all of the way up the thread in the body - in use the adjuster will be covering more of that.

Not cleaned mine for 12months plus now - curious now so suspect I'll be cleaning it shortly.

John

-

Edited by ajohn

Thats the thing. Apart from locking threads nothing is touching to that deformed area.  Upper burr carrier has plastic spiggots which sits on springs and they dont have a scratch on them. What i am thinking is constant upward pressure on springs caused that deformation on that area. And everytime i cleaned it i could easily calibrate it to same spot, i know it is same spot because i marked the adjustment ring with a marker. 

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

If it's been cross threaded that should be easy to spot. Just look around the start of the thread. Rather than running in a nice even spiral there will be obvious distortion and it will  have been harder to turn almost immediately the threads engaged. If any one has that happen stop immediately.

When I had mine apart I did what most grinders need. Rotate the wrong way and feel for when the adjuster drops in. That way things will be level when it's screwed in. Unlike say a mazzer it doesn't take much initial pressure on Niche.

John

-

20 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

I can't see the slight radius. Affecting anything? 

Does the top burr carrier move up and down freely when inserted, can you push it down all the way with fingers against springs before adjustment ring fitted? 

Does the adjustment ring screw in and move freely all the way in and out with no top burr inserted? 

Yes and yes

After every cleaning i did push the top burr carrier down to see if it is moving freely on springs before i screw adjustment ring down. 

As i said it just happened recently. 

Adjustment ring also screws freely when the top burr carrier not in place.  But when i put everything together it feels stiff like it has never been before. I only do espresso and occasional aeropress so use settings 13 and 20 only. It has been a very easy life for it so far :)

I agree with Dave, the small nicks in the threads look as if the tooling for the hole / recess has touched the thread but is insignificant.

The top thread on the other hand looks as if it has been turned over , more like a "rolled" thread. It is difficult to see how that could occur turning the adjuster by hand.

Must admit I'm intrigued. One thing I noticed was the fit of the burr carrier in the "hole" and thought good for you Mr Niche.

If El ....... is correct but doesn't look like it to me it's been cross threaded and that could cause the other marks maybe some scoring down in the plane bore of the the hole as well. As to force needed to distort a thread like that - not that much really but if some one has done it before I would have thought they would notice the change.

Maybe a photo of the start of the thread on the adjuster will clear that aspect up - side on. If distorted there it's been cross threaded and may well be a lot easier to see.

All I have noticed on mine is the need to adjust finer and finer. Gone on so long and over many batches of the same bean it can't be due to them. Might be due to burrs running in, calibration ring moving or traces of grinds getting between the adjuster and burr carrier.

John

-

If you ever pass my way, feel free to bring the grinder round....I'd be curious to see what's going on.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

30 minutes ago, El carajillo said:

I agree with Dave, the small nicks in the threads look as if the tooling for the hole / recess has touched the thread but is insignificant.

The top thread on the other hand looks as if it has been turned over , more like a "rolled" thread. It is difficult to see how that could occur turning the adjuster by hand.

That might be the case. True. 

But still don't know why motor noise has changed like it is rubbing on sth( even without burrs attached) and calibration mark has moved to four clicks backwards when calibrating and ring has stiffened. 

Thing is, just before xmas i binned its box thinking i wont sell it nor sending it for repair anytime soon :)

Have you tried turning the shaft with your fingers ? can you feel any resistance or a sense of touching and releasing ? Also can you feel any vertical or transverse movement in the shaft? 

I would contact Niche explaining your findings and ask if they have any thoughts or suggestions also have they come across this before.

There is another possibility.  More probable in some ways as well and not the cause of  the current problem. The bruising may well have been there since day one and happened during manufacture. There are a limited number of ways of making a part like that.  If this is the case they probable don't matter. I've already mentioned the easiest way to see if the adjuster has been cross threaded.

On Niche I haven't noticed any comments about lubricating the threads. Certain greases are mentioned on others but having owned a brand new mazzer I wonder. Plain unflavoured lip salve is likely to be a good choice and has also been suggested in the past. Easy to get hold of as well. Just a very thin smear. ;) One stick will could last a life time.

John

-

I have contacted with Niche. Lets see how we get on. 

4 hours ago, El carajillo said:

Have you tried turning the shaft with your fingers ? can you feel any resistance or a sense of touching and releasing ? Also can you feel any vertical or transverse movement in the shaft? 

I would contact Niche explaining your findings and ask if they have any thoughts or suggestions also have they come across this before.

Yes i did try that last night there was no movement on shaft itself. When i tried to turn the shaft it turns with a bit of resistance which i think normal.

Edited by Inspector

I suspect that if people look more may find they have one or maybe one on each side

IMG_20200113_134259.thumb.jpg.cb4eda79854795be6830954a64d6be9e.jpg

I'de prepared to say it is down to manufacture. Chances of there being 2 probably depends on exactly how they are made. I don't think it will make any difference to use anyway and hasn't on mine. Saw a bit of sloppy work that doesn't matter at all and nothing amiss.

No grinds in the thread really other than bits from when it was taken apart. Nice change from others. I wiped the threads over and the top of the grinder and lid with IPA. Oil gets on things in my case. :)The lid shines again now as does the scale and the hopper. I do wipe the hopper now and again which keeps it fairly shiny. There is a tiny bit of damage to the end of the E on fine. I didn't lubricate the thread after looking at the parts. Can't make my mind up so left as is. Some loose uncompacted grinds in the cavity in the underside of the grinds flinger. Not much though - tip of a teaspoon. No signs of wear on the flinger. Some on the base of the grind chamber but I suspect there wont be any more now. Some how calibration had moved by near 3 dots. My ring isn't easy to turn and as others had problems moving this on some early ones I've avoided it - not that easy to get at anyway. Couldn't see any reason for this to happen. This is after putting some figure in excess off 10kg of beans through it.

I haven't cleaned the metal work at the top of the spout out, It needed a cocktail stick to get that out before. Some has come out due to internal cleaning.

John

-

Think I saw a comment about the feet rotating - better option than them cracking so probably done that way to avoid any chanced of that happening.

27 minutes ago, ajohn said:

I suspect that if people look more may find they have one or maybe one on each side

IMG_20200113_134259.thumb.jpg.cb4eda79854795be6830954a64d6be9e.jpg

I'de prepared to say it is down to manufacture. Chances of there being 2 probably depends on exactly how they are made. I don't think it will make any difference to use anyway and hasn't on mine. Saw a bit of sloppy work that doesn't matter at all and nothing amiss.

No grinds in the thread really other than bits from when it was taken apart. Nice change from others. I wiped the threads over and the top of the grinder and lid with IPA. Oil gets on things in my case. :)The lid shines again now as does the scale and the hopper. I do wipe the hopper now and again which keeps it fairly shiny. There is a tiny bit of damage to the end of the E on fine. I didn't lubricate the thread after looking at the parts. Can't make my mind up so left as is. Some loose uncompacted grinds in the cavity in the underside of the grinds flinger. Not much though - tip of a teaspoon. No signs of wear on the flinger. Some on the base of the grind chamber but I suspect there wont be any more now. Some how calibration had moved by near 3 dots. My ring isn't easy to turn and as others had problems moving this on some early ones I've avoided it - not that easy to get at anyway. Couldn't see any reason for this to happen. This is after putting some figure in excess off 10kg of beans through it.

I haven't cleaned the metal work at the top of the spout out, It needed a cocktail stick to get that out before. Some has come out due to internal cleaning.

John

-

Think I saw a comment about the feet rotating - better option than them cracking so probably done that way to avoid any chanced of that happening.

Thanks for the picture. Seems like your one has that deformation as well just above spring holes. So this leads to one thing. It has happened on manufacturing process when they were drilling the holes and was already there when i got the grinder. So i shouldn't worry about these.

But i dont understand where that stiffness coming from. My fingers literally did slide on the adjustment ring when i was trying to change the grind setting. And all of a sudden calibration mark moved by near 4 clicks.

I told james from Niche as well, i will open it up later this evening and will give threads one more good wipe inspect and re grease. Will let you know how i get on.

Edited by Inspector

15 minutes ago, Inspector said:

Thanks for the picture. Seems like your one has that deformation as well just above spring holes. So this leads to one thing. It has happened on manufacturing process when they were drilling the holes and was already there when i got the grinder. So i shouldn't worry about these.

But i dont understand where that stiffness coming from. My fingers literally did slide on the adjustment ring when i was trying to change the grind setting. And all of a sudden calibration mark moved by near 4 clicks.

I told james from Niche as well, i will open it up later this evening and will give threads one more good wipe inspect and re grease. Will let you know how i get on.

I suspect the holes etc aren't drilled. Could be but there are other ways. If I were you I would look very carefully for thread distortion. I suggested the adjustment ring side on but having looked at it not totally sure that would distort. That maybe ok but the threads could be distorted in the hole. The problem is that it doesn't take much distortion but it can usually be seen on the peaks of the thread especially where they start to engage with each other. ;) You might need a magnifying glass to see it. Depends on the clearance between the threads.

I didn't succeed in finding when the adjuster dropped in by starting of winding out when I was screwing it back in - this still managed to get the threads level though. It's something that needs care on all grinders.

John

-

I just got Niche Zero and so far loving the result and the taste of the coffee. But I do have a question about a minor issue I noticed when I closely looked at the grinder while it is operating.

As you can see in the video below, when the burr turns, the center hex bolt looks like it is not perfectly aligned. It is not centered so you can see that it wobbles a bit side to side. Otherwise, I think the burr itself looks aligned in the middle. Is this an issue?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sanpAGBho5F7eaFJ6

Thanks.

Edited by Jnl82