Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Received mine a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with the Niche! The screw holding the lid was initially too loose and the lid didn't close properly, but adding a piece of thread to the screw fixed the problem - has anyone experienced this issue as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alder said:

Received mine a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with the Niche! The screw holding the lid was initially too loose and the lid didn't close properly, but adding a piece of thread to the screw fixed the problem - has anyone experienced this issue as well?

Never heard of the problem, can you explain more clearly e.g. thread not correct and turning all the time, screw not going in far enough before stopping, screw too long deeper than screw hole etc...

Where did you add the thread, around the screw thread, below the top of the screw, do you have a photo???

Edited by DavecUK

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Never heard of the problem, can you explain more clearly e.g. thread not correct and turning all the time, screw not going in far enough before stopping, screw too long deeper than screw hole etc...

Where did you add the thread, around the screw thread, below the top of the screw, do you have a photo???

It looked like the screw width was a tiny bit too small for the hole - the screw was spinning freely and going out freely as well, and not holding the lid in place. I added a fabric thread into the screw from the head all the way down so that it would fit better, and that managed to fix the issue. I will take a photo next week when I'm back home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

took me a moment to get what putting a thread on a thread means in this thread :confused:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alder said:

It looked like the screw width was a tiny bit too small for the hole - the screw was spinning freely and going out freely as well, and not holding the lid in place. I added a fabric thread into the screw from the head all the way down so that it would fit better, and that managed to fix the issue. I will take a photo next week when I'm back home

Check there is a thread cut in the hole, in case you have a screw the wrong size and you should contact Niche.


 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the grinder is fantastic!  It out performs my previous Mignon and as a single dose machine grinder it's clean, less workflow, clumpless, quick enough for me, looks good and not like an ugly run of the mill grinder......

For my coffee life it's a no brainier! 


ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was some discussion a while ago about running in burrs, some believed it made a significant difference others didn't. My estimate for the niche was around 15-20k,g for the burrs to be fully running in, there being an exponentially decreasing level of improvement with each kg ground and the 1st 5Kg made the largest difference....

I have been testing a Japanese variant grinder (because as I am sure people know they run 100V). Of course it came with new burrs and I was initially tempted to put the USA long term test grinder burrs in them, but I resisted the urge. I sort of didn't want to use brand new burrs that Niche could happily put into a brand new grinder and sell. I'm glad I resisted this urge because there is a huge difference between brand new burrs and ones that have done 20Kg. With the same coffees I could put them first in one grinder and then in the other. The burrs that had 20kg on them gave better looking pours and less observable "channelling"/"dead spots".

Now the Japanese burrs have at least 3 kg on them they are performing bettter. I think for many people the change is gradual and those who have already ground 10-15kg on their Niche probably have not noticed the gradual improvement. As soon as you side by side brand new and run in...the difference is clear.

So I do believe there is value in running 2 or 3kg of running in beans (cheap old, poor roast etc..) through the grinder even if these have to come from the supermarket!

  • Like 1

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The burrs that had 20kg on them gave better looking pours and less observable "channelling"/"dead spots".

 

Hmmm... I’ve got an accumulation of beans in the freezer that won’t be brewed by me, unless desperate! and I could certainly run them through my grinder. Does grinding large amounts (5 k) all at once like this impact overall longevity of burrs & motor at all? And, do you feel flavour difference is notable enough (in the cup) to warrant me grinding 5 k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

There was some discussion a while ago about running in burrs, some believed it made a significant difference others didn't. My estimate for the niche was around 15-20k,g for the burrs to be fully running in, there being an exponentially decreasing level of improvement with each kg ground and the 1st 5Kg made the largest difference....

I have been testing a Japanese variant grinder (because as I am sure people know they run 100V). Of course it came with new burrs and I was initially tempted to put the USA long term test grinder burrs in them, but I resisted the urge. I sort of didn't want to use brand new burrs that Niche could happily put into a brand new grinder and sell. I'm glad I resisted this urge because there is a huge difference between brand new burrs and ones that have done 20Kg. With the same coffees I could put them first in one grinder and then in the other. The burrs that had 20kg on them gave better looking pours and less observable "channelling"/"dead spots".

Now the Japanese burrs have at least 3 kg on them they are performing bettter. I think for many people the change is gradual and those who have already ground 10-15kg on their Niche probably have not noticed the gradual improvement. As soon as you side by side brand new and run in...the difference is clear.

So I do believe there is value in running 2 or 3kg of running in beans (cheap old, poor roast etc..) through the grinder even if these have to come from the supermarket!

Welcome back Dave!

Do you happen to know what the difference in RPM would be from US to Euro to JP models?
I suppose they share the same motor and gearbox with a varying power supply?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm passed 3kgs now but it's taken me a while so I've probably not noticed the changes.


Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hasi said:

Welcome back Dave!

Do you happen to know what the difference in RPM would be from US to Euro to JP models?
I suppose they share the same motor and gearbox with a varying power supply?

The motors are all custom made for Niche and are also differently wound motors for different countries stated nominal voltages to ensure they deliver sufficient power/torque and other characteristics e.g. Japan is 100V. I saw some speculation about motors, but I am not at liberty to discuss Niches intellectual copyright and wouldn't want to say anything more than the information above.

I would always recommend purchasing a manufacturer OEM motor (if needed) not something that "looks the same".....


 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavecUK said:

The motors are all custom made for Niche and are also differently wound motors for different countries stated nominal voltages to ensure they deliver sufficient power/torque and other characteristics e.g. Japan is 100V. I saw some speculation about motors, but I am not at liberty to discuss Niches intellectual copyright and wouldn't want to say anything more than the information above.

I would always recommend purchasing a manufacturer OEM motor (if needed) not something that "looks the same".....

Thanks Dave!
I've just seen charts manufacturers provide as to what output a grinder has in which country version (e.g. Compak is doing it in their manuals: http://www.compak.es/docs/E8_OD_M_EN.pdf page 9). Hence wondering how much of a difference in grind result it could mean and whether or not these models are comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2019 at 20:34, Slowpress said:

The burrs that had 20kg on them gave better looking pours and less observable "channelling"/"dead spots".

 

Hmmm... I’ve got an accumulation of beans in the freezer that won’t be brewed by me, unless desperate! and I could certainly run them through my grinder. Does grinding large amounts (5 k) all at once like this impact overall longevity of burrs & motor at all? And, do you feel flavour difference is notable enough (in the cup) to warrant me grinding 5 k?

The Japanese grinder is specifically for load testing. It will go back when I have finished abusing it for the motor to be broken apart and examined. Normally I consider breaking stuff wasteful, but in this case the case was a second, it's a Japanese grinder but with a USA plug and of course meets no approvals whatsoever ;) so legally unsellable.

I do have an accumulation of beans I will put through it as part of a load test, and will let you know if it goes pop or does anything horrible....well I know it shouldn't...

 

P.S. I perhaps wouldn't grind a Kg without a few cool down pauses though....say 1 minute on 1 minute off.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comparison is with the Kinu M47, which I have put on ebay (on 29 July 19) now the Niche is up and running. I am totally happy with the Niche although it would be great to load the portafilter directly from the spout.

For what it's worth, here are two pics showing 5g ground by both the Kinu (left) and the Niche (on the right). Sadly, my taste buds are not educated enough to speak with confidence which was the better. Both produced a consistent result although the Niche (may) contain more visible skin or is it parchment/silverskin?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1462.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1455.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_145b.jpg

Edited by Colinz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just after a few opinions, Got my Niche a couple of weeks ago initially intended to use it just for espresso and continue with the aergrind for V60 but have been trying it out for V60 also.

Owing to the fact i will be continuosly changing settings and coffee if I carry on using it this way is it worth persuing or would i be better of sticking with the aergrind for brewed.

I usually make about one single V60 a day and three to four espresso

Edited by ken0062

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ken0062 said:

Just after a few opinions, Got my Niche a couple of weeks ago initially intended to use it just for espresso and continue with the aergrind for V60 but have been trying it out for V60 also.

Owing to the fact i will be continuosly changing settings and coffee if I carry on using it this way is it worth persuing or would i be better of sticking with the aergrind for brewed.

I have a feldgrind, which I had before the Niche. I initially thought I'd do the same and use the feld for brewed, but it's now my work/travel grinder and gets no home use whatsoever haha.

I just found the Niche covers the lot for me without me having to put the effort in to handgrind... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you find it necessary to run a few grams of beans through to purge when changing grind type or am I just wasting beans by doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ken0062 said:

Do you find it necessary to run a few grams of beans through to purge when changing grind type or am I just wasting beans by doing this.

It depends. If the grind setting change isn't dramatic, i.e. only a couple notches, then I don't find it necessary to run a few grams through. If I am grinding significantly finer than before, e.g. 5+ notches, I don't find it necessary to run a few grams through. But, if I am grinding significantly coarser, i.e. 5+ notches coarser, then I find I do need to. Otherwise the next 1-2 shots will be slower than the 3rd+ shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jchung said:

It depends. If the grind setting change isn't dramatic, i.e. only a couple notches, then I don't find it necessary to run a few grams through. If I am grinding significantly finer than before, e.g. 5+ notches, I don't find it necessary to run a few grams through. But, if I am grinding significantly coarser, i.e. 5+ notches coarser, then I find I do need to. Otherwise the next 1-2 shots will be slower than the 3rd+ shot. 

That's interesting, because after going only 5 notches coarser for 1 grind you might get a 0.3-0.4g variance (at the very most) vs the previous grind at the finer setting. I often go 4-5 notches coarser for exactly the same coffee when I pull shots on the Vesuvius and then move to the Minima for exactly the same coffee. I have not experienced this phenomenon and would be surprised if 0.3 or 0.4g could make that much difference exchanging out as the Niche stabilises. I personally have never found the need to run a few grams through the Niche for any grind/coffee change.

It might be worth looking to see if there is any other cause.

 

P.S. Even going considerably coarser/finer, like a whole rotation might only give around 0.7g.

Edited by DavecUK

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

That's interesting, because after going only 5 notches coarser for 1 grind you might get a 0.3-0.4g variance (at the very most) vs the previous grind at the finer setting. I often go 4-5 notches coarser for exactly the same coffee when I pull shots on the Vesuvius and then move to the Minima for exactly the same coffee. I have not experienced this phenomenon and would be surprised if 0.3 or 0.4g could make that much difference exchanging out as the Niche stabilises. I personally have never found the need to run a few grams through the Niche for any grind/coffee change.

It might be worth looking to see if there is any other cause.

 

P.S. Even going considerably coarser/finer, like a whole rotation might only give around 0.7g.

I think its the beans that I use when I have to go significantly finer. Those beans are usually old or stale that I'm just trying to use up rather than waste them. IIRC, these were usually also darker beans and had significantly more static. I stopped weighing the output a long time ago, so I can't say how much of the grinds was retained in the NZ after I grind 5+ notches finer. So when I go back to fresh beans, i.e. 5+ notches coarser, my extraction is longer by 5-10 seconds. Next time I have to use up old/stale beans, I'll make a point of weighing the output and comparing it to the pre-ground weight. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd been trawling the net comparing grinders (this and others) as I usually have 2 or 3 beans on the go and single dosing works for me.  So read a lot of stuff on the forum and watched vid by James Hoffman, so bit the bullet and bought one.

Had the grinder a week now and I'm blown away with it. My coffee that I previously thought was the 'beans' is now stunning, can't believe the difference the Niche has made. After contacting James at Niche to clarify some burr settings, I have been using the grinder for french press. Only takes a few seconds to adjust 1 full revolution of the adjustment ring and less than a minute to return to espresso setting. All it requires is doing the adjustment back to espresso setting in increments of 10 on the dial, followed by having the motor run for a second or two just to make sure no chunks of beans are left from the coarse grind. A small price to pay for me as the grinder is far better then the one I had for french press.

As for popping beans near to the end, I placed a blind portafilter basket on top of the beans and this stopped it. Going on from there I fashioned a contact lense shape out of Hama beads a little bigger than the size of the 58mm basket. Sits nicely on the top of the beans and having the bowl shape made the beans pop less.

20190805_155947[1].jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TonyJoe said:

I'd been trawling the net comparing grinders (this and others) as I usually have 2 or 3 beans on the go and single dosing works for me.  So read a lot of stuff on the forum and watched vid by James Hoffman, so bit the bullet and bought one.

Had the grinder a week now and I'm blown away with it. My coffee that I previously thought was the 'beans' is now stunning, can't believe the difference the Niche has made. After contacting James at Niche to clarify some burr settings, I have been using the grinder for french press. Only takes a few seconds to adjust 1 full revolution of the adjustment ring and less than a minute to return to espresso setting. All it requires is doing the adjustment back to espresso setting in increments of 10 on the dial, followed by having the motor run for a second or two just to make sure no chunks of beans are left from the coarse grind. A small price to pay for me as the grinder is far better then the one I had for french press.

As for popping beans near to the end, I placed a blind portafilter basket on top of the beans and this stopped it. Going on from there I fashioned a contact lense shape out of Hama beads a little bigger than the size of the 58mm basket. Sits nicely on the top of the beans and having the bowl shape made the beans pop less.

20190805_155947[1].jpg

you stole them from the kids, how dare you?!
haha, great stuff though - might get my girl to make me one of these. Although, it could end up being pink and yellow and purple and fancypants glow-in-the-dark and generally representing a unicorn of sorts...

...until it's finished I keep rocking a blind filter :cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hasi said:

you stole them from the kids, how dare you?!
haha, great stuff though - might get my girl to make me one of these. Although, it could end up being pink and yellow and purple and fancypants glow-in-the-dark and generally representing a unicorn of sorts...

...until it's finished I keep rocking a blind filter :cool:

Now I know why I got the grandkids black beads, matches the Niche nicely ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png

×
×
  • Create New...