Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Lilybell2 said:

I'll leave the comments regarding grind suggestions up to others, but I do want to comment regarding your impression of the Niche's appearance.  Form follows function in the case of the Niche.  Frankly, I've not yet seen a grinder that has impressed me as being a thing of beauty.  In fact the majority of them, to me anyway, look just plain butt ugly.  But pretty is as pretty does, and any good consistent grinder is a thing of beauty because of its performance, not the shell it wears. 

When I look at the niche it always makes me think of...

image.png.4a31238d15bbcccd70efd22ea3f2f167.png

No bad thing... :)

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

48 minutes ago, Coffeejon said:

Hello, I haven't read through the 88 pages, but having now tried my Niche for a few days, it taste is very different than my other (Flat burr) grinders. I'm finding the exact same coffee more fluffy, but slightly less sweet. I'm having to run my shots slightly shorter to get similar sweetness & also they are tasting a little 'hollow' Any thoughts on running it finer/coarser/length to get more 'mid' in your mouth? (I'm comparing it to EK43, Mazzer mini a, Eureka 75E) i.e. make a conical a bit more flat burr in taste, esspecially the 'Mids'

Otherwise I like it, though it could feel a bit more 'pro'. I.e the burr sounds/looks a little unprecise, over all needs an updated 'industrial' look (Sorry Martin, but feels a bit 80's aesthetically) I do like the size, and got one as I need a sampler grinder (EK43 stand-in), I just need to get the taste dialed in. Cheers

Running a shot shorter decreases extraction with that can impact sweetness. 

Normally to increase sweetness you would grind finer and or put more water through the puck unless you have hit the extraction ceiling of your coffee and grinder and at around 1:2 that is unlikely ( this seems to be where most people are ) 

Ignore the Ek43 comparison , thats a different beast. 

Hollow is hard to dissect , it's not something I am tasting , re Mazzer what ratios are you running on those and how are you changing them on the Niche? It could be you need to extract more to get past bitterness not less ( extraction yield  and sweetness are not always linear ie. doesnt go sour , sour, sour , sweet, sweeter bitter, , sometimes there can be a bitterness you need to get thought to reach the sweeter ) 

• Like 2

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

2 hours ago, Lilybell2 said:

I'll leave the comments regarding grind suggestions up to others, but I do want to comment regarding your impression of the Niche's appearance.  Form follows function in the case of the Niche.  Frankly, I've not yet seen a grinder that has impressed me as being a thing of beauty.  In fact the majority of them, to me anyway, look just plain butt ugly.  But pretty is as pretty does, and any good consistent grinder is a thing of beauty because of its performance, not the shell it wears. 

I say this as a product designer, though doesn't mean my impression is correct for you. I agree grinders are not that pretty, but I do think these are precision machines and sharp / industrial / technical looks inhance this feeling. The Niche is soft / round which in my opinion increase's the feeling of being less precise. Also Martin (and I mean no offence) is a designer from the 80's & most designers (including myself) keep the aesthic from the era of your training & this is a perfect case. Again, i'm not saying it's not badly designed, ugly etc, just I wonder if a more industrial aesthetic would be more appropriate (seeing 99% of people on this forum are male enthusiasts) & most espresso machines are in this ball park.

1 hour ago, Mrboots2u said:

Running a shot shorter decreases extraction with that can impact sweetness. 

Normally to increase sweetness you would grind finer and or put more water through the puck unless you have hit the extraction ceiling of your coffee and grinder and at around 1:2 that is unlikely ( this seems to be where most people are ) 

Ignore the Ek43 comparison , thats a different beast. 

Hollow is hard to dissect , it's not something I am tasting , re Mazzer what ratios are you running on those and how are you changing them on the Niche? It could be you need to extract more to get past bitterness not less ( extraction yield  and sweetness are not always linear ie. doesnt go sour , sour, sour , sweet, sweeter bitter, , sometimes there can be a bitterness you need to get thought to reach the sweeter ) 

thx. I'll have a play. I'm always 18g in and 30g out (so I can compare)

Posted (edited)

I'm testing another Niche Zero at the moment and this one has absolutely new burrs. Took the long term USA test one off the counter and immediately can tell the difference with this new one as the burrs are almost brand new and not yet broken in. So if you have just purchased one, there is quite a big difference (improvement) after grinding the first 5kg. You won't notice it so much because it happens gradually. I only noticed because I moved from burrs with  40kg+ through them to almost brand new ones.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, DavecUK said:

I'm testing another Niche Zero at the moment and this one has absolutely new burrs. Took the long term USA test one off the counter and immediately can tell the difference with this new one as the burrs are almost brand new and not yet broken in. So if you have just purchased one, there is quite a big difference (improvement) after grinding the first 5kg. You won't notice it so much because it happens gradually. I only noticed because I moved from burrs with  40kg+ through them to almost brand new ones.

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better.  :good:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Coffeejon said:

Hello, I haven't read through the 88 pages, but having now tried my Niche for a few days, it taste is very different than my other (Flat burr) grinders. I'm finding the exact same coffee more fluffy, but slightly less sweet. I'm having to run my shots slightly shorter to get similar sweetness & also they are tasting a little 'hollow' Any thoughts on running it finer/coarser/length to get more 'mid' in your mouth? (I'm comparing it to EK43, Mazzer mini a, Eureka 75E) i.e. make a conical a bit more flat burr in taste, esspecially the 'Mids'

Otherwise I like it, though it could feel a bit more 'pro'. I.e the burr sounds/looks a little unprecise, over all needs an updated 'industrial' look (Sorry Martin, but feels a bit 80's aesthetically) I do like the size, and got one as I need a sampler grinder (EK43 stand-in), I just need to get the taste dialed in. Cheers

The Niche benefits from the grinds being stirred / mixed either in the catch-cup or portafilter (or both). May help.

GS3, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Thx Dave. I have a used one, though not that old either. I'll see if it improves. I've now really pushed the fineness & even though its not a 'mouse tail' it definitely is better. Cheers.

1 hour ago, lake_m said:

The Niche benefits from the grinds being stirred / mixed either in the catch-cup or portafilter (or both). May help.

Thx for this, i'll give that a go as well. Cheers

9 minutes ago, Coffeejon said:

Thx Dave. I have a used one, though not that old either. I'll see if it improves. I've now really pushed the fineness & even though its not a 'mouse tail' it definitely is better. Cheers.

Tip - mouses tail tells you very little about the quality of the extraction 

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Tip - mouses tail tells you very little about the quality of the extraction 

If it's on a naked, then it's a start when compared to a gusher.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Coffeejon said:

Again, i'm not saying it's not badly designed

I hope you're not saying it's badly designed.  If you're not not saying that it's not badly designed, then that's also fine. 

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jlarkin said:

I hope you're not saying it's badly designed.  If you're not not saying that it's not badly designed, then that's also fine. 

So what is he not saying?

"me, I'm not saying nuthin"

Edited by DavecUK
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

If it's on a naked, then it's a start when compared to a gusher.

But a gusher is apparent from weight out in what  time though.

Instagram - rjw_inc

:popcorn:I just watched it....enjoyed it, didn't get triggered at all.

5 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

:popcorn:I just watched it....enjoyed it, didn't get triggered at all.

He isn't trying hard enough then :)

Instagram - rjw_inc

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jlarkin said:

thx. Problem with this kind of comment is it makes me not want to contribute to the forum. Sure we're all not perfect, but this doesn't help anyone. Fine with correcting my comments about coffee etc, but this keeps people away..... just sayin coffee friend

Edited by Coffeejon

2 hours ago, Coffeejon said:

Fine with correcting my comments about coffee etc, but this keeps people away

Don't take it personally, @jlarkin is jus larking about...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ve ve suvivius.... /E37s/ Eazytamp / tupperware pot / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Just now, igm45 said:

Don't take it personally, @jlarkin is jus larking about...

I agree it wasn't mean maliciously ;)

• Like 1

thx. Problem with this kind of comment is it makes me not want to contribute to the forum. Sure we're all not perfect, but this doesn't help anyone. Fine with correcting my comments about coffee etc, but this keeps people away..... just sayin coffee friend
I was just joking. Sorry I thought a triple "not" was enough to show it was a joke. Next time I'll add an emoticon as well in case it helps to convey things better.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Posted (edited)

On 09/04/2019 at 23:15, Lilybell2 said:

...This morning, as my beans were being nicely ground, I realized I was holding the cup in my hand while a lovely mound of ground coffee was being created directly beneath the Niche's chute. I think my dog was laughing at me! :(:D

On 26/06/2019 at 15:12, Slowpress said:

I amazed myself in doing precisely the same thing!🤷‍♀️🤣

Even more fun when you are talking and distracted and tip your ground coffee back into the grinder 😁

image.png

Edited by PaulL
Added origial comment for context
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Does take a while to come back through, done this myself.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Done this myself as well. Part of the learning curve.

GS3, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________