Jump to content

Recommended Posts

0.4g is very little amount of retention compared to most if not all grinders in this price range.

You can updose if you want to get over 34g and scoop out the excess.

0.01g scales won’t make you happier. Is 17.93g better than 18.07g? That’s what I was wondering this morning...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.01g scales are quicker reacting for dosing to 0.1g (because of the overshoot/undershoot mentioned above). But if you want 1 set of scales to weigh both dose & brew, 0.1g scales are just fine.

You can't ascertain whether your dose is +/-0.4g with most 0.1g scales.

18.07 is 0.14g (less than a tenth of a bean?) more than 17.93g, no better, no worse, no tangible difference in terms of brew.

Edited by MWJB
  • Like 2

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

 

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was mainly wondering if I should be using my silicone muffin cup to purge out the remaining coffee or should I leave it and just continue to grind until all the voids are filled etc.

I guess I will try the no purge method after looking at Dave's videos on YouTube.

I understand .2g or even .3g is minimal so I'm still happy either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, swai said:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was mainly wondering if I should be using my silicone muffin cup to purge out the remaining coffee or should I leave it and just continue to grind until all the voids are filled etc.

I guess I will try the no purge method after looking at Dave's videos on YouTube.

I understand .2g or even .3g is minimal so I'm still happy either way.

Muffin cup's a smart solution to a problem that doesn't exist ? 

Definitely do not purge the Niche. There needs to be some grounds retained in the internals to give you a very small "retention" for subsequent uses. That's why if you do a deep clean by removing the burrs, you'll notice the "retention" is higher for the first couple of uses. Dave's reviews cover retention/grounds exchange and what to expect in some detail. 


Vesuvius + Niche Zero // V60 + MBK Aerspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, catpuccino said:

Muffin cup's a smart solution to a problem that doesn't exist ? 

Definitely do not purge the Niche. There needs to be some grounds retained in the internals to give you a very small "retention" for subsequent uses. That's why if you do a deep clean by removing the burrs, you'll notice the "retention" is higher for the first couple of uses. Dave's reviews cover retention/grounds exchange and what to expect in some detail. 

Understood! I guess I was just so use to purging on my old grinder and using a brush etc that I thought it would benefit the NZ. 

I guess not! Will not purge from now on and just let it be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 19:15, Lilybell2 said:

 

The two cup solution would probably be a good one for me. This morning, as my beans were being nicely ground, I realized I was holding the cup in my hand while a lovely mound of ground coffee was being created directly beneath the Niche's chute. I think my dog was laughing at me! :(:D

I amazed myself in doing precisely the same thing!?‍♀️?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is early days yet, but at this point I am getting slightly better in-the-cup espresso results from my Knock grinder than I am with the Niche. That doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of the Niche (and without a side-by-side comparison, I’d be none the wiser)... the Niche is a great grinder & super convenient. Perhaps I haven’t yet found the sweet spot in my settings.... I may change my mind the more I play with the Niche... but so far I prefer the brew taste from my Knock grinder. I’ll also be trying a different batch of bean later this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slowpress said:

It is early days yet, but at this point I am getting slightly better in-the-cup espresso results from my Knock grinder than I am with the Niche. That doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of the Niche (and without a side-by-side comparison, I’d be none the wiser)... the Niche is a great grinder & super convenient. Perhaps I haven’t yet found the sweet spot in my settings.... I may change my mind the more I play with the Niche... but so far I prefer the brew taste from my Knock grinder. I’ll also be trying a different batch of bean later this week.

You likely have them set differently, in fact I'm sure you have, because it may not even be possible to set them the same, just maybe 1 parameter being the same. 

Of course, your preference is up to you, but unless you identify the tangible differences, you can't be sure why it is what it is.

  • Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

 

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve played with settings from 13 to 20... preferring finer settings (I preinfuse) ... taste & texture are great, of course, but just not all the highlights I get on the Knock... and I suspect it may be about amount of or difference in degree of fines between the two grinders?

Edited by Slowpress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Regarding my earlier comments between the two grinders)

I’m waffling now... the brew from a Niche is just so darn good (and so easy) that I’ve given up looking for subtle differences in flavour notes, and just enjoying the indulgence of a very good shot! ??

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/06/2019 at 16:58, DavecUK said:

If you have an extension lead with a red neon light mains indicator and are happy to leave that plugged in....

 

On 23/06/2019 at 18:01, Slowpress said:

Sorry, I’m not understanding what you mean ... I am 100% clueless about “leads” & “mains”.

I plug directly from the Niche into the kitchen wall’s electrical outlet (no extension cord being used). Is that A-OK?

 

I’ve since learned “mains” and “leads” simply mean “power cord”.... the electrical supply with an extension cord attached, in my part of the world! (Mea culpa... I “come from away”!?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Slowpress said:

 

I’ve since learned “mains” and “leads” simply mean “power cord”.... the electrical supply with an extension cord attached, in my part of the world! (Mea culpa... I “come from away”!?)

Dave's point was really that lots of appliances, extension cords, sockets (like an electric cooker socket) have an indicator to show that they are live, even if on standby & we don't fret about these, so why fret about the indicator on the Niche.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

 

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, bridge rectifier, caps, resistors, all doing nothing....just that little 0.25W neon glowing away. Which probably costs for a worst case 1p for 12 days on 24x7 but it could be half that or less, depends on how much power the neon uses. I would feel confident saying that it's less than 30p per annum on 24x7.

  • Like 1

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2019 at 10:57, DavecUK said:

Exactly, bridge rectifier, caps, resistors, all doing nothing....just that little 0.25W neon glowing away. Which probably costs for a worst case 1p for 12 days on 24x7 but it could be half that or less, depends on how much power the neon uses. I would feel confident saying that it's less than 30p per annum on 24x7.

Oh, it wasn’t cost (nor power consumption) I was concerned about... my worry was related to protecting the Niche... didn’t want to “burn” or “tire out”? anything by having it in the constant power sort-of  “on” mode. (Don’t you just love my technical language for all things electrical?!?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK my Niche was from the first batch, and in the past week I noticed the grind setting was changing whilst grinding, getting coarser by about a third of a point whilst grinding 16g.
So last night I set about cleaning it for the first time....and found a layer of oily coffee stuck on the underside of the upper burr. I removed this and gave it a general clean up, and hey presto it is working perfectly.
As I haven't cleaned it for 9 months this is probably worst case scenario...but does indicate that a clean every 6 months is probably necessary.
Has anyone else been as lazy as me and seen the same issue with coffee build up, or am I the only lazy person here?


Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given my usage - once on a working day, twice a day at the weekend - I clean mine every couple of months or so. Never had a problem with it, and it’s from the first batch too.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is approaching 3 months old. I have taken it apart once and cleaned all the grinds out with the brush, I got the same weight out as DaveC in his video.

Should I do any more than that to it? I saw Puly do grinder cleaner, is it needed? I'd worry that it would clean the seasoning off the burrs.


Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

Mine is approaching 3 months old. I have taken it apart once and cleaned all the grinds out with the brush, I got the same weight out as DaveC in his video.

Should I do any more than that to it? I saw Puly do grinder cleaner, is it needed? I'd worry that it would clean the seasoning off the burrs.

Please don't put that through it...it's useless, doesn't really clean properly and is a palliative for people who have grinders that are not easy to open up e.g. some Compaks etc..

Just open Niche use very slightly damp microfibre, wipe round chamber and floor with burrs out...let it dry (plus dry with dry microfibre). Clean burrs with a dry toothbrush...if ever you  think there might be coffee oils caked on use a damp toothbrush and allow to dry (plus wipe dry with kitchen  towel) before putting back.

For threads, if and when they need cleaning (probably annually), use another toothbrush just for those and wipe round to get any trapped ground coffee out, wipe with dry kitchen towel (all in direction of threads) and then use  a "smear" of silicone grease to lubricate...don't use very much at all and you don't need to smear the whole thread, just a small portion, it will carry.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyCoffeeNewbie said:

OK my Niche was from the first batch, and in the past week I noticed the grind setting was changing whilst grinding, getting coarser by about a third of a point whilst grinding 16g.
So last night I set about cleaning it for the first time....and found a layer of oily coffee stuck on the underside of the upper burr. I removed this and gave it a general clean up, and hey presto it is working perfectly.
As I haven't cleaned it for 9 months this is probably worst case scenario...but does indicate that a clean every 6 months is probably necessary.
Has anyone else been as lazy as me and seen the same issue with coffee build up, or am I the only lazy person here?


Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

I don't have problems, but you can ask Niche to post you some slightly stiffer springs...see what they say.


 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Please don't put that through it...it's useless, doesn't really clean properly and is a palliative for people who have grinders that are not easy to open up e.g. some Compaks etc..

Just open Niche use very slightly damp microfibre, wipe round chamber and floor with burrs out...let it dry (plus dry with dry microfibre). Clean burrs with a dry toothbrush...if ever you  think there might be coffee oils caked on use a damp toothbrush and allow to dry (plus wipe dry with kitchen  towel) before putting back.

For threads, if and when they need cleaning (probably annually), use another toothbrush just for those and wipe round to get any trapped ground coffee out, wipe with dry kitchen towel (all in direction of threads) and then use  a "smear" of silicone grease to lubricate...don't use very much at all and you don't need to smear the whole thread, just a small portion, it will carry.

Thanks very much Dave, I still need to pick up some grease for this and Bianca maintenance. I will do this every 3 months.

I love cleaning and maintaining my stuff, did the shower screen on the Bianca yesterday as per your video, very satisfying. 


Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't have problems, but you can ask Niche to post you some slightly stiffer springs...see what they say.
tbh it is absolutely fine after the clean. The grind adjustment has noticeably stiffened since the clean, making me think it had loosened off over time as coffee had built up in the grinder.
I will just clean it a bit more often



Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My niche is fairly new and grind adjustment is quite smooth and not moving at all while grinding. If you just cleaned it and grind adjustment is stiff i think something is not right. Might be left some grinds on threads.


Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TonyCoffeeNewbie said:

tbh it is absolutely fine after the clean. The grind adjustment has noticeably stiffened since the clean, making me think it had loosened off over time as coffee had built up in the grinder.
I will just clean it a bit more often emoji16.png



Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 

That's probably best, long term USA test unit has the original springs and has never slipped, but I do keep him fairly clean. It's been in continuous use now for 17 months, so will be the longest running unit out there by at least 8 months or more.  I have also abused it a bit and I'm just waiting to see how it holds up over time and then Niche will take it apart if it ever fails to find out why (and presumably examine the rest of the components to look at wear etc..). It's also possible in the early days Niche were over enthusiastic with the grease on the threads (or possibly not as careful to avoid the top pusher), I suspect they learnt a lot running the assembly line themselves.


 My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I haven't read through the 88 pages, but having now tried my Niche for a few days, it taste is very different than my other (Flat burr) grinders. I'm finding the exact same coffee more fluffy, but slightly less sweet. I'm having to run my shots slightly shorter to get similar sweetness & also they are tasting a little 'hollow' Any thoughts on running it finer/coarser/length to get more 'mid' in your mouth? (I'm comparing it to EK43, Mazzer mini a, Eureka 75E) i.e. make a conical a bit more flat burr in taste, esspecially the 'Mids'

Otherwise I like it, though it could feel a bit more 'pro'. I.e the burr sounds/looks a little unprecise, over all needs an updated 'industrial' look (Sorry Martin, but feels a bit 80's aesthetically) I do like the size, and got one as I need a sampler grinder (EK43 stand-in), I just need to get the taste dialed in. Cheers

Edited by Coffeejon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll leave the comments regarding grind suggestions up to others, but I do want to comment regarding your impression of the Niche's appearance.  Form follows function in the case of the Niche.  Frankly, I've not yet seen a grinder that has impressed me as being a thing of beauty.  In fact the majority of them, to me anyway, look just plain butt ugly.  But pretty is as pretty does, and any good consistent grinder is a thing of beauty because of its performance, not the shell it wears. 

  • Like 3

Rocket Giotto Type V - Niche Zero - Acaia Lunar - IMS Shower Screen - VST baskets - St. Anthony BT Wedge - Pullman Big Step - Espazzola Cleaning Tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

    New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

    Advertising

    Coffee Forums Media Kit

    Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

     

    coffee-subscription-mini.png

    Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

     

    Donate / Sponsor

    Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

    Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

    image.png



    Coffee Forums Logo
     

×
×
  • Create New...