5 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

So the motor is £20 then?

Bit more expensive than the one in a versalab then :)

• Like 1

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

2 minutes ago, coffeechap said:

So the motor is £20 then?

Do you actually understand what a hypothetical example is, or should I have used intergalactic credits (that's a rhetorical question by the way) ?

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I do indeed understand, but again just seeing what the components are and the cost, forgive me if this is unreasonable, if it is £20 then HYPOTHETICALLY It would be very cheap to replace which would be a good thing, it would also keep costs down for Niche and increase the margins on the product so would make sense. 

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

12 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Bit more expensive than the one in a versalab then :)

I doubt that very much 

AKA Toffee chips

1 minute ago, coffeechap said:

I doubt that very much 

Those were built from a mecano set 

• Like 1

Instagram - rjw_inc

1 minute ago, Mrboots2u said:

Those were built from a mecano set 

What the niche ?

AKA Toffee chips

2 minutes ago, Mrboots2u said:

Nope the Legolab

I much prefer the grind consistency from the versalab but let’s not get the haters saying “ but it costs 4 times the price of the niche”

AKA Toffee chips

Are the components kept the same since the assembly was moved out to China?

2 hours ago, coffeechap said:

I much prefer the grind consistency from the versalab but let’s not get the haters saying “ but it costs 4 times the price of the niche”

Can't actually find a price for the updated Versalab at mo.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I'm impressed that such a small motor does all that, and it will last 30 years, is it a  brushless electronic sort ? 

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

wishful thinking, I suppose it would depend how often you use it. As its aimed at the domestic market I suppose a theoretical 15yrs would be great for the average user. Is it one of those digital motors like the dyson?

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Like 1

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.

(it is a user experience thread...)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Off topic, but may I ask if there is any reason to unplug the Niche when not in use? I tend to leave things plugged in for convenience (unless an electrical storm threatens); the red power light stays on, of course, too.... anyway, if this is not advised, please advise, and I will try to change my bad habits!

Off topic, but may I ask if there is any reason to unplug the Niche when not in use? I tend to leave things plugged in for convenience (unless an electrical storm threatens); the red power light stays on, of course, too.... anyway, if this is not advised, please advise, and I will try to change my bad habits!

I have mine plugged in at all times :whistle:
  • Like 1

If you have an extension lead with a red neon light mains indicator and are happy to leave that plugged in....

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

58 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

If you have an extension lead with a red neon light mains indicator and are happy to leave that plugged in....

Sorry, I’m not understanding what you mean ... I am 100% clueless about “leads” & “mains”.

I plug directly from the Niche into the kitchen wall’s electrical outlet (no extension cord being used). Is that A-OK?

Yes then?
  • Like 1

Is fine to leave it plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

On 22/06/2019 at 12:25, PPapa said:

You would need to ask Niche as I am not sure anyone on here could give you the answer. Beyond the normal "continuous improvement" all companies do, it would be illogical to put different components in If you have a winning formula that seems to be holding up well.

Hi all,

Quick question on the Niche. I am a week into using my new NZ and getting about .4g retention. 

Will the retention be less after using for a longer period of time? 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, swai said:

Hi all,

Quick question on the Niche. I am a week into using my new NZ and getting about .4g retention. 

Will the retention be less after using for a longer period of time? 

Thanks.

Well 0.4g retention is at the lower limit of "total retention" as tested in my review. Are you sure you mean retention or do you mean "dose consistency"? Have a read of the review I did and you will see the terms defined.

If it's dose consistency:

• Do your scales have a resolution of 0.1 or 0.01 g?
  • Are you banging the niche or trying to get all the coffee out each time you grind (that won't help)
  •  Are you making sure the coffee has finished exiting the chute before you stop the grinder, because that won't help ?
  • Do you change grind settings between doses
  • Do you use 2 different coffees and alternate between them
  • Are you making 1 coffee per day and it varies from one day to another
  • What weight in and out

My answer is perhaps, it depends on what you're talking about, how you are using the grinder, and whether you are on your first few Kg....so little information for such a precise question. Even if it is 0.4g due to how you are using the grinder....I doubt you could taste the difference...well I know you couldn't because it's about 2.5 coffee beans..

11 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Well 0.4g retention is at the lower limit of "total retention" as tested in my review. Are you sure you mean retention or do you mean "dose consistency"? Have a read of the review I did and you will see the terms defined.

If it's dose consistency:

• Do your scales have a resolution of 0.1 or 0.01 g?
  • Are you banging the niche or trying to get all the coffee out each time you grind (that won't help)
  •  Are you making sure the coffee has finished exiting the chute before you stop the grinder, because that won't help ?
  • Do you change grind settings between doses
  • Do you use 2 different coffees and alternate between them
  • Are you making 1 coffee per day and it varies from one day to another
  • What weight in and out

My answer is perhaps, it depends on what you're talking about, how you are using the grinder, and whether you are on your first few Kg....so little information for such a precise question. Even if it is 0.4g due to how you are using the grinder....I doubt you could taste the difference...well I know you couldn't because it's about 2.5 coffee beans..

At the moment I am only using the NZ with an aeropress. 

I weigh 34g of beans in the metal cup on my Hario .1 scales and I get 33.6g out. I am still on my 2nd KG of coffee through the NZ. That's why I was wondering down the line after more coffee has gone through it should I be getting 33.9g out after dosing 34g in. 

I was purging out the remaining grinds left in the chute etc and getting .3g out. 

I should probably invest in a .01g scales now! 

Very happy with the Niche after switching from a Mazzer SJ. 

You might still see up to 0.4g difference from time to time, but a typical average of 0.2g difference might be more normal (0.01g scales would be better to determine this).

Scales that read to 0.1g don't always go up/down in 0.1g intervals, sometimes they jump by 0.2, or 0.3g.

Either way, compared to your dose size & the more forgiving nature of AP/immersion brews in this respect, it's not going to impact on your brews.

• Like 1

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/