I find the draw time on v60 too long if i use anything less than like a 2.2, even with 2.6, I'm just getting a 3.30 min draw

15 minutes ago, TheHToad said:

I find the draw time on v60 too long if i use anything less than like a 2.2, even with 2.6, I'm just getting a 3.30 min draw

Hey @TheHToadIf you look at page 83 of this thread there's info about where to set Niche for V60 :)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I set a page up for coffee and settings ..no one was using it tho much 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hey @TheHToadIf you look at page 83 of this thread there's info about where to set Niche for V60
What post # would that be Jon?

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Found the information, most of the discussion about v60 is at page 81/82 of this post

I used the secondary marking idea and did a v60 at niche 70 setting, which gave me a perfect 2.30 draw time, although the grinds of that is coarser to the 2+6 feld2 setting. I find 50-55 seems to give the closes to the 2+6 setting of Feld2, I'll have to test the brew of that tomorrow though

6 minutes ago, TheHToad said:

Found the information, most of the discussion about v60 is at page 81/82 of this post

I used the secondary marking idea and did a v60 at niche 70 setting, which gave me a perfect 2.30 draw time, although the grinds of that is coarser to the 2+6 feld2 setting. I find 50-55 seems to give the closes to the 2+6 setting of Feld2, I'll have to test the brew of that tomorrow though

Sounds like you are in the right region, but there's nothing perfect about 2:30 brew time. You can only use brew time as a guide if you state brew size & pour regime, even then, brew time will drift by a larger margin than extraction. If you adjust grind to maintain a given brew time, your brews will be all over the place. Nail down a consistent pour rate.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Just now, MWJB said:

Sounds like you are in the right region, but there's nothing perfect about 2:30 brew time. You can only use brew time as a guide if you state brew size & pour regime, even then, brew time will drift by a larger margin than extraction. If you adjust grind to maintain a given brew time, your brews will be all over the place. Nail down a consistent pour rate.

Yea, my typical brew is 20g:300ml, with the 4:6 method, 60ml pulse pours, 30seconds first pour for bloom, and then 60ml whenever the bed surface is dry. I'm probably going to aim for 3.15 - 3.30 draw time, I normally prefer my brews a bit stronger anyway, today's cup is much sweater, but a bit more acidic as well, so that's a trade off

Has anyone gone to town on cafetière settings yet?

For whatever reason I had it noted down as being one full turn, but I tried that yesterday and it was a bit weak. Tried setting 50 today which was better, but appeared quite fine to be honest. Now I’m wondering what range of settings might be ‘right’.

I’ve not really done much cafetière with the Niche before.

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

7 minutes ago, richwade80 said:

Has anyone gone to town on cafetière settings yet?

For whatever reason I had it noted down as being one full turn, but I tried that yesterday and it was a bit weak. Tried setting 50 today which was better, but appeared quite fine to be honest. Now I’m wondering what range of settings might be ‘right’.

I’ve not really done much cafetière with the Niche before.

50 might be OK for a larger (8 cup) glass pot & 40min+ steep, or longer in a steel pot.

For smaller, single wall glass pots, I'd be looking to go finer, maybe 30 range & 10-20min.

Use Hoffman's no plunge method & carefully pour off the surface layer, before decanting into cups. Leave the siltiest last drops in the press.

50 might be OK for a larger (8 cup) glass pot & 40min+ steep, or longer in a steel pot.
For smaller, single wall glass pots, I'd be looking to go finer, maybe 30 range & 10-20min.
Use Hoffman's no plunge method & carefully pour off the surface layer, before decanting into cups. Leave the siltiest last drops in the press.

No plunge?! One step at a time for me I think. Interested to try something in the 30s. It felt like that was what it needed, but also seemed too fine...

It’s a single glass wall job

Cheers, will post the results.

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

1 minute ago, richwade80 said:

No plunge?! One step at a time for me I think. Interested to try something in the 30s. It felt like that was what it needed, but also seemed too fine...

It’s a single glass wall job

Cheers, will post the results.

Plunging kicks up silt into the brew, you can't grind coarse enough to combat this and have a decently extracted press. If you do plunge, don't press all the way down, stop well short of the bed.

You can't go too fine in terms of extraction, the silt is the biggest issue in FP brewing.

2 hours ago, MWJB said:

I find 30 to be already mocha pot or areopress range, and I've been wondering since reading the niche review, what's the idea behind a 40 min steep? I normally don't go beyond a 6 min, and that is with a 5+0 Feld2 grind, which I think will be a full rotation + 10/20 maybe?

23 minutes ago, TheHToad said:

I find 30 to be already mocha pot or areopress range, and I've been wondering since reading the niche review, what's the idea behind a 40 min steep? I normally don't go beyond a 6 min, and that is with a 5+0 Feld2 grind, which I think will be a full rotation + 10/20 maybe?

The idea is to extract the coffee so it's balanced & sweet, not overly acidic. 5+0 with a Feld sounds way too coarse to extract normally.

It's also just about cool enough to drink at this time (for a big brew in a glass press). I've never had a nice French press in 5 min steep, though I appreciate that some folk have a different expectation & may like very bright, very hot coffee. I expect my coffee to taste like it would however I brew it, just stronger or weaker, more/less silt depending on brewer.

Immersion grind has always been finer than drip, not coarser. This 5 min, coarse steep with declining temperature seems a fairly modern thing & once again is losing favour.

17 minutes ago, MWJB said:

The idea is to extract the coffee so it's balanced & sweet, not overly acidic. 5+0 with a Feld sounds way too coarse to extract normally.

It's also just about cool enough to drink at this time (for a big brew in a glass press). I've never had a nice French press in 5 min steep, though I appreciate that some folk have a different expectation & may like very bright, very hot coffee. I expect my coffee to taste like it would however I brew it, just stronger or weaker, more/less silt depending on brewer.

Immersion grind has always been finer than drip, not coarser. This 5 min, coarse steep with declining temperature seems a fairly modern thing & once again is losing favour.

I never quite wrap my head around on how that would not end up overextracting the coffee, especially if it is a even finer grind.

So would you recommend 10 mins for a 3cup glass french press,

I normally use 20g:260ml ratio

2 minutes ago, TheHToad said:

I never quite wrap my head around on how that would not end up overextracting the coffee, especially if it is a even finer grind.

So would you recommend 10 mins for a 3cup glass french press,

I normally use 20g:260ml ratio

You can't over-extract coffee at normal, fine grinds in French press, with declining temp. You can only extract it nominally, or varying degrees of under (which if you like it, that's fine too). The extraction is limited by temp drop & the fact the water is never replaced & there is no mechanism for the extraction to get past a certain point (which you might reach by actively maintaining heat, or refreshing the brew water). The idea that is mooted about grind size being relative to time is not quite correct, nor that linear for steeped coffee.

The fact you are brewing at a high ratio suggests you are using a lot of coffee to bolster the strength, maybe because your extraction is low. Again, if this is how you like it, carry on but 60-70g/L should be plenty.

My preferred approach for a 3 cup glass French press is about 55g/L (16.5:300g) for 20min (still 70c by this point) or until approaching drinking temp (for me about 55C). Decant into pre-warmed cups. Grind about the same as for moka/Aeropress. With finer, espresso grind, water in 1st & 10min. (trickier to avoid silt the finer you go). I go bit stronger on the ratio (60-65g/L) with an insulated press because they extract further & can take a coarser grind (still around drip) due to better heat retention.

Obviously if you want decent strength & faster brews, you need to updose, but I'd rather use a faster brew method & get the flavour I prefer.

• Like 1

I’m on 25 for aeropress - I experimented higher and lower though seems to sit well here

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

We need a brewing forum...

I thought the 40min steep was a typo...

On 11/10/2018 at 13:13, Jon_Foster said:

I've made a couple more spros (I'm quite wired right now) & discovered that giving the pf a sharp little downward tap before using the distribution tool seems to have stopped the "donutting".

I've still got a bit more experimenting to do but I am absolutely loving this grinder.

Big thanks to @DavecUK & @Nichecoffe for all your advice & hard work. :)

Jon, I see you also have a Knock grinder... how do they compare for brew results in the cup, regarding flavor & mouthfeel?

8 minutes ago, Slowpress said:

Jon, I see you also have a Knock grinder... how do they compare for brew results in the cup, regarding flavor & mouthfeel?

Brew results are comparable IMHO,  mouthfeel is too vague a concept to be asked to clarify , especially for brewed coffee ( filters etc making a difference , brewing method etc ) 

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Not sure if this has been mentioned (probably, but just in case...)  

It’s worth checking your calibration straight out of the box. Fortunately it’s so easy to do it’s not a problem  

Mine was off by a fair bit. Initially dialled in at 23 for espresso. I calibrated and it was about 8 clicks off. So back down to 15 now which seems about right. 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned (probably, but just in case...)  

It’s worth checking your calibration straight out of the box. Fortunately it’s so easy to do it’s not a problem  

Mine was off by a fair bit. Initially dialled in at 23 for espresso. I calibrated and it was about 8 clicks off. So back down to 15 now which seems about right. 

I checked mine but I'd been using for a while, think it wasn't far off. I guess it depends how tight you grip and turn it too.

I'm normally around 14-15 but I've been doing some shots at 13 with a longer pre-infusion with fantastic results.

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Currently sat at 9. Long preinfusions for me at the moment. Working well for me and the current hasbean I'm using

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

41 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

I checked mine but I'd been using for a while, think it wasn't far off. I guess it depends how tight you grip and turn it too.

I'm normally around 14-15 but I've been doing some shots at 13 with a longer pre-infusion with fantastic results.

I went as finger right as much as I could without forcing it.

Maybe it’s different with each one out of the box. Anyone get two? 😀

42 minutes ago, Planter said:

Currently sat at 9. Long preinfusions for me at the moment. Working well for me and the current hasbean I'm using

No preinfusion for me :( (Gaggia Classic). What coffee is it? I’ve just started my Hasbean subscription. Would it be the same one?

image.jpg