I used Osmo on the Oak-wood of my Niche Zero since the wood was very dry, no strange patches afterwards.

I received my Niche yesterday and couldn't be happier. I'm still pretty new to all of this and never really wanted to believe when people said how important a good grinder is. But what a difference! Within a few shots I got everything dialed in and the taste is so much better than before.

I've had my Niche for four days now, and I'm very happy with it. It's a huge improvement over my Eureka Mignon.

The wood on my Niche appeared to have no finish/coating whatsoever, at least there was none that I could detect. I use "Boos Block Board Cream" on my wood kitchen cutting boards. It's primarily bee's wax with enough food grade mineral oil to make it pliable. As it's formulated for wood cutting boards, I knew it was food safe. It did a nice job on my Niche's wood parts, which soaked it up like a sponge.

Rocket Giotto Type V - Niche Zero - Acaia Lunar - IMS Shower Screen - VST baskets - Pullman Big Step - Espazzola - Fiesta cups

Is the Niche still made / assembled in the UK?

I checked mine and it is, but mine was one of the first ones.

People in OZ are reporting theirs are made in China.

Could anyone who has received one recently check the label at the bottom and report back?

Has Niche have an assembly line there too?

Made by Ed China here. Think they are assembled in the UK though

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Made by Ed China here. Think they are assembled in the UK though

What does your label say Joey? Here is mine:

48c066e059fae365bfdb214c32a6d95e.jpg

What does your label say Joey? Here is mine:

48c066e059fae365bfdb214c32a6d95e.jpg

7f18fcea41b7322cd4372cdeca209e20.jpg

That’s mine

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

How dare you! have no wood kit on it.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I don’t either

A mechanic will never fix his own car

@SkateReclaimCreate

Posted (edited)

It doesn't matter where they are assembled most of the parts are sourced from China, this is still good grinder though. And because I have both assemblies I could say the CN one is absolutely the same in term of quality.

Edited by L&R

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

How dare you! have no wood kit on it.

Mine stays inside a cupboard... - I do have Joeys tamper though. Amazing work!

I don’t either

A mechanic will never fix his own car

never get high on your own supply it is.

never get high on your own supply it is.

Where do you get your beans from then?

AKA Toffee chips

Chinese quality can vary but of they found good manufacturers the quality will be better than of UK. Sad but true.

::: Fracino Cherub ::: Fiorenzato F5 ::: Torr 58.6mm ::: VST 18g basket :::

Awaiting: Arduino upgrade on Gaggia Classic, some skills ;)

From a comment @DavecUK made I suspect assembly in the UK was a family affair. If I remember correctly Mrs Niche put all of the spare springs under the wooden base and cable tied them.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Chinese quality can vary but of they found good manufacturers the quality will be better than of UK. Sad but true.

I really wish Niche would post photos of the factory and grinder assembly, very impressive.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Would anyone disagree that family run production is going to have better QC than a third party factory that presumably mass produces goods?

Maybe it’s just cynical me as I witnessed (from close family members) how difficult it is for a small businesses to offload the delicate work to a third party.

Would anyone disagree that family run production is going to have better QC than a third party factory that presumably mass produces goods?

Maybe it’s just cynical me as I witnessed (from close family members) how difficult it is for a small businesses to offload the delicate work to a third party.

Yes, I would completely disagree with you....

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Yes, I would completely disagree with you....
There's two worlds colliding I believe.

One being a local party that really knows what it takes quality-wise.

The other being standardised QM and auditing processes that go hand in hand with the different certifications (CE, PCT, FCC, GS, UL and their likes) often needed to enter specific markets.

It's a sh!teload of work to specify QM workflow, all checks and acceptable tolerances for every square millimetre in and around a product, especially for someone who's new to outsourcing it. Hence the difficulty taking such a step, I'd assess.

The Niche bug is biting....but I don't need an espresso grinder upgrade. How does the Niche perform in the medium-course Chemex/french press range?

The Niche bug is biting....but I don't need an espresso grinder upgrade. How does the Niche perform in the medium-course Chemex/french press range?

I would grind finer for French press than for Chemex, but that aside, Niche will work fine for coarser grinds.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

There's two worlds colliding I believe.

One being a local party that really knows what it takes quality-wise.

The other being standardised QM and auditing processes that go hand in hand with the different certifications (CE, PCT, FCC, GS, UL and their likes) often needed to enter specific markets.

It's a sh!teload of work to specify QM workflow, all checks and acceptable tolerances for every square millimetre in and around a product, especially for someone who's new to outsourcing it. Hence the difficulty taking such a step, I'd assess.

Bit old fashioned approach that. Some industries put quality entirely at the end that produces parts for assembly and don't worry about it, just functionally test the end product - in some cases. Couple it with just in time, just enough stock to keep assembly running, stuff may arrive daily and it can have some interesting repercussions. Such as use it anyway otherwise the assembly line has to stop.

;) And some one up in the clouds who ?runs? the company right at the top might say why functionally test, they don't test parachutes is a favourite as some one using one of those only knows if it works when they use it.

Plus of course if all companies involved are registered according to the latest fashion all is ok.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Where do you get your beans from then?
well, while I was waiting for this comment I couldn't think of an answer

Bit old fashioned approach that. Some industries put quality entirely at the end that produces parts for assembly and don't worry about it, just functionally test the end product - in some cases. Couple it with just in time, just enough stock to keep assembly running, stuff may arrive daily and it can have some interesting repercussions. Such as use it anyway otherwise the assembly line has to stop.

;) And some one up in the clouds who ?runs? the company right at the top might say why functionally test, they don't test parachutes is a favourite as some one using one of those only knows if it works when they use it.

Plus of course if all companies involved are registered according to the latest fashion all is ok.

John

-

May I ask you what cloud you're sitting on today?

It's got entirely nothing to do with old fashioned, it is called reality.

Surely you are free to dream up every possible scenario, I don't have anything against that.

I happen to work in an area that covers many many industries (beverage, packaging of all sorts, commercial cooling, bar/event equipment, consumer products, retail/investment/producer's goods just to name a few of the more important ones) anf noone dared to act as funny as you describe. And I wouldn't recommend anyone to try

Just sayin mate, no offence meant

;) And some one up in the clouds who ?runs? the company right at the top might say why functionally test, they don't test parachutes is a favourite as some one using one of those only knows if it works when they use it.-

John, I respectfully have to disagree, once when flying a glider I had recourse to use my parachute and it didn't work. Once I picked myself off the ground and found their number (written on the parachute), I phoned the complaints department. I didn't have long to wait at all and a nice young lady answered and was quite concerned to learn it had not worked. She actually told me I was the first ever person to complain about this. She looked through her testing sheets and found not a single form signed and dated by a parachute tester where it had failed to work. She said of course any parachutes that failed to work when needed would receive a no quibble repair and enquired when I purchased said parachute. I told her 11 months ago and she said that it was fortunate it had failed when it did, as another month more it would have been out of warranty and I wouldn't have been able to claim a repair.

I was asked to pack the chute carefully in it's original box and with the original packaging and send it to them at my own expense for a repair, as long as checks showed the Parachute had not been abused or modified in any way. As I had actually used the parachute, a small charge would be made. Really I was quite reassured and pleased with the immediate response to my complaint. Packing the Parachute proved difficult with 3 broken limbs, but they were happy to have me send it when able.