None of the pics are loading for me. Anyone know a quick fix for this?

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

TapAtalk makes it a doddle ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

On an Iphone, find this happens for 2 reasons. Firstly, the file size is too big. I do not know if there is a restriction but I find anything above 2 megs struggles, and secondly, if you have an iphone 10 the chances are the file type is set to .heic. All you need to do is email yourself the photo and it automatically converts it to jpg

@dfk41

 You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

You do know that this is not factually true ?

Not all bullets are supersonic .... you willl hear the sub-sonic one that kills you .:whistle:

Is that based on evidence of self report?

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Are you saying the grinder has no influence on taste?

Certainly does but levels of roast play a factor too - lighter roasts don't grind in the same way darker roasts do - the latter shatter more during the grind. Conical burrs give a different taste profile to flats and excel with darker roasts. Conicals are at the best, extraction-wise, below 20% EY. Pushing a big conical like a Robur over 20% EY doesn't improve the taste - it just adds over-extracted bitterness. Flat burrs are more suited to lighter roasts. Lighter roasts, on the whole, don't give up their coffee solubles as easily as darker roasts. Sub 19% EY's on lighter roasts often produce high acidity. in the cup.

Another major factor affecting the taste is particle size distribution - particularly for flat burr grinders. Fines over extract adding to bitterness in the cup - boulders under extract, accentuating sour notes in the cup. If you like espresso made with lighter roasts, you need to be able with many beans to push EY above 20% to get enough sweetness out of the bean to counteract the inherent sourness. This is where uniformity of particle size distribution becomes very important. You also need to pull shots 1:2 or higher.

Finally, size of burrs with flat burr grinder does make a difference.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Another major factor affecting the taste is particle size distribution - particularly for flat burr grinders. Fines over extract adding to bitterness in the cup - boulders under extract, accentuating sour notes in the cup. If you like espresso made with lighter roasts, you need to be able with many beans to push EY above 20% to get enough sweetness out of the bean to counteract the inherent sourness. This is where uniformity of particle size distribution becomes very important. You also need to pull shots 1:2 or higher.

There is next to no data on particle size distribution and relative extraction of fines & boulders. From what there is, uniformity seems less important than fineness with regards to largest particles.

We know that grinding ever finer doesn't cause everything to increase & over-extract because the puck becomes less permeable.

So, sure, less large particles seems good (pulling down average size), mitigating smallest to allow the puck to extract properly seems good, but levels of uniformity are not clear.

In Perger/MK's test the Robur was clearly the coarsest grind.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Certainly does but levels of roast play a factor too - lighter roasts don't grind in the same way darker roasts do - the latter shatter more during the grind. Conical burrs give a different taste profile to flats and excel with darker roasts. Conicals are at the best, extraction-wise, below 20% EY. Pushing a big conical like a Robur over 20% EY doesn't improve the taste - it just adds over-extracted bitterness. Flat burrs are more suited to lighter roasts. Lighter roasts, on the whole, don't give up their coffee solubles as easily as darker roasts. Sub 19% EY's on lighter roasts often produce high acidity. in the cup.

I think I pretty much know that. What I was asking way back was rarely does anyone [on the Niche threads] say 'the taste is fantastic / the same over and over / it’s better than my last grinder' or any such variations of that. All I was asking was besides enjoying the low retention, ease of use, size etc does the taste in the cup meet expectations. I know there are many variables (I am not stupid) but compared to, say, your previous grinder, would you say your coffee tastes better/tasty or whatever word you want to use. Are you HAppy with how every shot tastes? Does that aspect meet your expectations?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

some purists (or is that obsessives) endlessly pursuing the Holy Grail. For many the journey is all - they don't really want to arrive.

Nicely put.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I think I pretty much know that. What I was asking way back was rarely does anyone [on the Niche threads] say 'the taste is fantastic / the same over and over / it’s better than my last grinder' or any such variations of that. All I was asking was besides enjoying the low retention, ease of use, size etc does the taste in the cup meet expectations. I know there are many variables (I am not stupid) but compared to, say, your previous grinder, would you say your coffee tastes better/tasty or whatever word you want to use. Are you HAppy with how every shot tastes? Does that aspect meet your expectations?

But this isn't a particularly relevant Q.

I guess folk will have sold their previous grinder to recoup costs for the Niche.

The workflow of the Niche might win out over small perceived differences in taste (over a large enough sample).

The biggest influence in the taste of your cup, is what you put in it & how efficiently you extract it. The raw material is the hardest aspect of making consistently fantastic cups.

There is no reason to suspect that Niche is anything less than normal, for a single dosing, conical grinder.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

This is a good question. And for me I'm not there yet even though I would say the taste on my Niche is improving. I have put it down to it not being run in and the differences between conics and flats. Before anyone notes, I am not looking for the taste to match that of a commercial grinder that costs twice or 4 times as much, just really decent coffee. The work flow, design and retention is enough for me to persevere towards that at present.

I would have thought a number of qs I have could be answered by you as I thought you had a Niche temporarily. Did you do a review and comparison? Specifically how does the Niche compare to your monolith conic? And using a single dosing conic and flat from the same manufacturer what do you note of the major differences in taste?

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

I doubt if apart from @DavecUK, there are many people with Niche grinders, who actually have run the burrs in sufficiently yet. The Mazzer burrs are industry standard, and will get better and better.....so.......taste comparisons are perhaps a tad early

Limited experience across borrowing dfk's and now owning one.

Is it better than my last grinder - YES - sage oracle for espresso. It seems to be comparable to my Feld for filter also. Pulled some shots with it at the cafe on a San Remo, once dialled in made some good espresso also ( " I like it from three baristas ) .I was genuinely surprised by it straight out the box.

Ease of use, retention , ability to dial back and forth and size were all major considerations for me , along with price , as i had a limit i didnt want to go beyond for any coffee grinder.

I am beyond the point now where I have to have "the best" be that perceived / actual / or most expensive. I know I have not always approached my coffee gear and like this, feel free to call me a hypocrite.

If i saw a k30 come up for £250-300, that didnt need any work or burrs etc, then I'd jump on it, but I wouldn't be alone in that.

My coffee is tasty, I didn't have any quantifiable expectations on this before getting one.

I am happy with how every shot taste's? In as much as i was when i had the EK43, truth be told the Niche seems more consistent , but the highs were higher with the EK and the lows lower . Plus any defects in the cup tend to be down to me with either grinder. I drink again alot more espresso recently. so that says something I think.

Does this mean it's for everyone , god no , not at all. No way.

We are on a forum of coffee obsessives, of which i am/was one, so there will be people pushing the envelope of what gear to own, and that's fine if you can afford it and enjoy it. But there are people out there that want a jack of all trades, so less than 4 figures , that fits under a cupboard and doesnt drive the rest of the house to distraction.

Perhaps the group of people that have the niche in general don't fit into that " it's amazing , the best ever " looking for the next big coffee thing, perhaps they just quietly enjoy their coffee, as part of their normal day.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

IMO Niche has its own niche and it is around medium to upper medium coffee enthusiast levels. It is for people that cannot accommodate big commercial machines in their kitchens too. Therefore the name was a very clever choice :) from Martin. I guess there would be a second edition Niche Pro or similar with a 83mm burrs(flat/conical) and 300W+ motor and it will aim high end users.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Guess I was of the rare ones ;)

Yes, it performs better than my previous grinder (Macap M4D), I produce more consistent good espresso's (at least better tasting to me and my daughter in particular but also for the rest of the family). I have been quite satisfied with the Macap M4D for a long time, but not anymore. (Good and better thing.)

That did go as far that my daughter did not want the free M4D, but wanted to buy a Zero. (That is, she declined my offer she could get the M4D for free and told me she wanted buy the Zero herself - but I wanted to give it when she moves out.)

Am I happy with how every shot tastes? uh... no. I switch a lot between different beans and profiles (Vesuvius) ... I guess I mess up from time to time. (As well as recognizing some roasting faults every once in a while.)

I am beyond the point now where I have to have "the best" be that perceived / actual / or most expensive. I know I have not always approached my coffee gear and like this, feel free to call me a hypocrite.

If you were to never change your mind over the course of years or decades, you would have wasted the opportunity for your life experiences to mould you as a person.

This is one thing that I can never understand with peoples views on MP's. Often they're called hypocrites if they don't feel the same at 50 as they did at 30. It doesn't make sense.

For me the Niche has been a revelation.

I moved from a Pharos and when I ordered it I said I'd be happy if it was better built and as good in the cup as a Sette. I was willing to trade off a little in the cup quality for convenience and not having a niggling shoulder problem and returning tennis elbow from trying to turn the handle with rock hard, lightish roast SHG beans.

Luckily, it has surpassed all expectations.

In the cup it's different to the Pharos, but in no waay inferior. Luckily I also prefer the taste that it gives for espresso.

It's built like a tank. Much, much better than the Sette I considered. I follow a few forums and the only return I know of was a guy who reported slippage of his settings. He was given a solution to this problem but also offered the opportunity to return and he took them up on the offer with no drama. Other than that somebody on here received a machine with it's burrs spinning the wrong way that I think was an easy fix. I wonder how many of the first 1000 Settes sold had problems in the first 3 months? I bet at least 10%.

There are other benefits as well that I didn't think would be as important to me. Zero retention is great and although I didn't like the cup at first I can now flip and shake whilst the portafilter is at such an angle that the grinds end up level almost every time, which is very convenient.

The only slight down side is on the few occasions I've made pour over using it, there hasn't been much difference between that and my Wilfa, but at least half the time I've forgot to turn the ring back to espresso resulting in a wasted shot, so I just use the Wilfa now and haven't really given the Niche much of a chance in that regard. The Wilfa stalls with light roasts though. The Niche has never stalled at any setting with any roast.

Edited by cold war kid

What is the purpose of the always ON LED indicator near the power switch? I have paid my electricity bills or ?

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

I don't really post much Mildred for two reasons but for me, yes, I find the Niche stunning. I have owned Macap MC4, Mazzer Mini E and Ceado E37s, each step was an improvement over the last and the Niche is my first conical. The workflow shows the others for what they are, cafe-style back to back shots whether commercial or domestic where an approximation of the last shot weight is good enough (and all you all will achieve). The efficiency of the Niche with no purging, no beans sitting in a hopper or perspex tube/weight and just an an Airscape or something else where you just take out the beans you want. In my case single shots of 11.5g. I won't sell my Ceado at a give away price given that it is built like a tank and appropriate for continuous shots so I'll keep it for gatherings or events or just keep it unless someone comes along who will pay the £800 I consider it is still worth.

Those two reasons:

1. I sort of can't be ar5ed to eulogise about any bit of kit to be honest, I have a fantastic set-up enjoyed daily and by friends, family and visitors and I pay attention to every bit of the process (water taste and balance, bean roasting and storing, weighing-in/weighing-out, milk quality, technique etc) as a daily habit. As I say to people who look at my photos it was a hobby for the first handful of years but for the 10 years since it's just a quiet passion.

2. It's all a personal choice of each of us whether money, routines, time, value, result. I know coffeechap thought the Niche looked hideous and would have to keep it in a cupboard, I'm the opposite and look at the EK43 which might be a step up again but no way would I have that in my kitchen, same with the mechano-kit looking La Marzocco. But don't get me wrong, these are personal aesthetic choices. Some of you are prepared to use levers with their after-shot mess, I remember it well from my Pavoni years and wouldn't want to do that, others don't want the complexity of any HX/DB/PP compared with a lever. also, there is always going to be a minority who call out a better bit of kit no matter what you have and how cottage-industry the esoteric alternative is.

So, as a purely personal choice I find the Niche stunning in flavour definition and fullness of flavour across the various beans I roast (to my preference of course - I don't like light roasts nor dark roasts, they are too sour or too ashy for my taste) at an unbelivable price, efficiency and easy-mess-free-bean-efficient routine. I can adjust on the fly for 3 different coffees sequentially (did so this morning when a mate called round before work), go a bit coarser on the fly for cafetiere when I go away overnight (work routiney) and adjust straight back for my next espresso shot and no wastage. The Niche probably rubs some people up the wrong way and is no doubt a threat to various commercial interests but I really think it is one of those rare iconic products that come along for all these various reasons. It will be interesting to see how markets react but I won't be surprised if it's too 'niche' to dent the revenue streams of established companies with their retailer networks and marketing budgets.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

IMO Niche has its own niche and it is around medium to upper medium coffee enthusiast levels. It is for people that cannot accommodate big commercial machines in their kitchens too. Therefore the name was a very clever choice :) from Martin. I guess there would be a second edition Niche Pro or similar with a 83mm burrs(flat/conical) and 300W+ motor and it will aim high end users.
IMO Niche has its own niche and it is around medium to upper medium coffee enthusiast levels. It is for people that cannot or don't want to accommodate big commercial machines in their kitchens too. Therefore the name was a very clever choice :) from Martin. I guess there would be a second edition Niche Pro or similar with a 83mm burrs(flat/conical) and 300W+ motor and it will aim high end users

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

I don't really post much Mildred for two reasons but for me, yes, I find the Niche stunning. I have owned Macap MC4, Mazzer Mini E and Ceado E37s, each step was an improvement over the last and the Niche is my first conical. The workflow shows the others for what they are, cafe-style back to back shots whether commercial or domestic where an approximation of the last shot weight is good enough (and all you all will achieve). The efficiency of the Niche with no purging, no beans sitting in a hopper or perspex tube/weight and just an an Airscape or something else where you just take out the beans you want. In my case single shots of 11.5g. I won't sell my Ceado at a give away price given that it is built like a tank and appropriate for continuous shots so I'll keep it for gatherings or events or just keep it unless someone comes along who will pay the £800 I consider it is still worth.

Those two reasons:

1. I sort of can't be ar5ed to eulogise about any bit of kit to be honest, I have a fantastic set-up enjoyed daily and by friends, family and visitors and I pay attention to every bit of the process (water taste and balance, bean roasting and storing, weighing-in/weighing-out, milk quality, technique etc) as a daily habit. As I say to people who look at my photos it was a hobby for the first handful of years but for the 10 years since it's just a quiet passion.

2. It's all a personal choice of each of us whether money, routines, time, value, result. I know coffeechap thought the Niche looked hideous and would have to keep it in a cupboard, I'm the opposite and look at the EK43 which might be a step up again but no way would I have that in my kitchen, same with the mechano-kit looking La Marzocco. But don't get me wrong, these are personal aesthetic choices. Some of you are prepared to use levers with their after-shot mess, I remember it well from my Pavoni years and wouldn't want to do that, others don't want the complexity of any HX/DB/PP compared with a lever. also, there is always going to be a minority who call out a better bit of kit no matter what you have and how cottage-industry the esoteric alternative is.

So, as a purely personal choice I find the Niche stunning in flavour definition and fullness of flavour across the various beans I roast (to my preference of course - I don't like light roasts nor dark roasts, they are too sour or too ashy for my taste) at an unbelivable price, efficiency and easy-mess-free-bean-efficient routine. I can adjust on the fly for 3 different coffees sequentially (did so this morning when a mate called round before work), go a bit coarser on the fly for cafetiere when I go away overnight (work routiney) and adjust straight back for my next espresso shot and no wastage. The Niche probably rubs some people up the wrong way and is no doubt a threat to various commercial interests but I really think it is one of those rare iconic products that come along for all these various reasons. It will be interesting to see how markets react but I won't be surprised if it's too 'niche' to dent the revenue streams of established companies with their retailer networks and marketing budgets.

Thank you, that is a really helpful response and I’m grateful for the time you took to post your views :)

OK this coffee business is a funny thing, and i wonder what i have stumbled into, since buying the Niche. I guess most people a Niche won't be the first grinder, but will be a replacement it might be interesting to run a survey to find out what was the previous grinder.

It's not just "better or worse" it's "more complicated"

for me

BEFORE - find a recipe, buy a kilo of beans you trust - and do not change a thing - and from there you can squeeze an average espresso and make an average latte or mediocre flatte...

The variables to play with were, erm temperature surfing delay (count to three), one notch on the MDF and tamp pressure. Some beans just don't work...

AFTER ...

It smells different. I never put a portafilter up to your nose, but i do with the cup - often. The aroma was the first thing i noticed different.

Can really start to fine tune the grinding, at least 10 times better for me.

Start weighing things so you know what you were extracting.

No fines (where before you might see them occasionally and wonder - why this time?)

Start to think about the taste and read forums like this for help.

Try other beans without too much risk. Wow - what variation is available!

Start taking notes

Buy a PID

A proper 18g basket

Fewer binned shots over time.

I'm not sure if this was what i expected, but i can say i see big improvement and have made coffee which i would be very happy to pay money every day on the High st.

I think the Niche opens an accessible and affordable doorway that a high quality grinder provides, and also allow experimentation. If you haven't had a quality grinder it's a big step. (pun intended) :p

It changes a lot of things, including what you think of as a "better" :good:

Perhaps that was something i did not expect... it takes a while to settle into a new system.

So returning to the questions...

Are you HAppy with how every shot tastes? Does that aspect meet your expectations?

No, but expecting every shot to be better is unrealistic, i can make a stinker with ease!.

Perhaps "are the best shots better?" - absolutely but it takes a while to think it all through if you haven't had a good variable grinder before. You get into a habit of "don't change anything".

"Is the number of bad shots reduced?" Hmm you start experimenting then you get some pretty strange shots but you do get to a good shot eventually or see where something else is lacking. For example you buy some fresh beans, it's mad for a day or two. If you've dumped them in the hopper it's a day or two of madness, with a Niche you just go back to some more rested ones while you watch the bags swell up. :good:

edit: Does this make me one of the Knights who say Niche? :whistle:

Edited by Agentb

@Agentb, there are a few target markets for the Niche grinder, you are one of them.They are not aimed at people who purchase EK43S, Kafatek Monoliths, Lynn Weber EG1s, Versalabs etc.. those people want the best and are willing to pay for it. They are taking their espresso/coffee to the next level.

To my mind, the Niche makes a great quality grinding experience relatively affordable, without having to have a used old/large noisy commercial grinder in the kitchen. I put my money towards one of the key areas of coffee such as very good quality green beans and a lot of care when roasting them on a commercial grade roaster. I usually have 4 or 5 different roasted coffees on the go (I have 8 different ones at the moment) and the Niche makes it really easy to move between them as I fancy.

Edited by DavecUK
  • Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I suppose I'm in a target market for the Niche too. I use a La Pavoni for a few shots per week 2 at a time. For everyday coffee I use a Neopolitan flip or Bialetti. Either way I don't need loads of grinding per day. Due to the La Pavoni I need a decent grinder, my Lido ET is great but too fiddly or is that too manual for daily use.

I certainly don't want a big grinder with hopper in our kitchen. I can't justify a hopper full of beans either.