Cheaper here i think:

https://mahlgut-manufaktur.de/en/product/lww-bean-cellars/

They also have the 3d print models for the funnel and the holder.

Christ some of you lot have more money than sense. ?

There's me thinking I've pushed the boundaries of excess for paying 12 quid to save a few seconds weighing in each shot. They look a lot less clinical though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0752VKP85/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better. 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.   (it is a user experience thread...)

Just got my Niche and am just in love with the haptics and looks and baffled by the nice, low humming sound it makes when idling. I switched from the Baratza Sette and Virtuoso and it’s like night and

Posted Images

Christ some of you lot have more money than sense. ?

There's me thinking I've pushed the boundaries of excess for paying 12 quid to save a few seconds weighing in each shot. They look a lot less clinical though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0752VKP85/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tell me about it. We've all just spent £350+ on a bloody coffee grinder and are 13 pages in to harping on about its value for money!

Now those jars do look like a sensible option and would get me making 5 shots as quickly as the machine can pump them out but somehow my coffee corner looks even more cluttered than usual so until I can commandeer a drawer for the rest of it I don't think I can buy any more gear!

Edited by LukeT
Tell me about it. We've all just spent £350+ on a bloody coffee grinder and are 13 pages in to harping on about its value for money.

Now those jars do look like a sensible option and would get me making 5 shots as quickly as the machine can pump them out but somehow my coffee corner looks even more cluttered than usual so until I can commandeer a drawer for the rest of it I don't think I can buy any more gear!

I was talking to a mate and said that I got a new grinder - he previously found it amusing that I need to “calibrate the grinder” (i.e. dial in) for every different bag of coffee I get! He asked my how much I paid and he was... mildly shocked.

I think of coffee gear as one of the best thing to spend money on. It’s something that gets used daily and brings me joy. Unlike a gaming rig (£1000+) he got that would not be much joy for me.

It’s a hobby after all and we like chasing marginal gains and joys

Regarding the usage for pour over: the guys from Goat Story (makers of the Gina Coffeemaker —> @goat_story on Instagram), use a Niche grinder since a few days. They seem pretty impressed with it. They actually use the Niche as their Grinder at the Lubiljana coffee festival. So it seems that Niche is also great for coarser grinds.

I’m in the same boat here! I’m in my early twenties, worked hard and landed myself a good job, so I get the luxury of buying nice things that bring me joy- in this case a shiny new coffee grinder!

Some of my colleagues that are of a similar age think I am absolutely mad and don’t know how I can afford it due to how much they spend on beer even though they earn the same (I rarely drink alcohol- I got bored of it after uni), I on the other hand can’t think of much else I’d rather spend it on..but each to their own I guess!

Most of my family think I’m mad too..

Mine was the same. The bit of paint rubbed off easily. However, the index marker fell off. I've re-inserted it but might add a spot of superflue to retain it.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Easiest way to compare in the cup is as follows..

Niche = Bass. Fatter, rounder, fuller flavour

Versalab M3 = Middle. Brighter and more defined than the Niche

EK43 = Treble. Brightest/lightest/sweetest

@Rhys spot on. I’d probably describe the difference between conical and flats in a similar speaker comparison.

From my experience Conicals are more boomier ( big bass like a set of old school Missions).

Flats have more defined mid ranges and less bass.

It’s all down to personal taste in what floats your boat.

Niche seems to have taken out one of the major draw backs of conicals i.e. retention.

Currently I use a bean scoop and a standard 250g bean can to keep the beans I am using in, rest of my order in the fridge. One day hopefully Bella Barista will have stock and send me one of the containers DaveC reviewed that expel air. Stainless again. ;) The bean can currently is useful though - I can tell that I put this order in the fridge too soon so need to revise the method I use a bit next time. Fridge when the taste is correct.

LOL This should have quoted DFK's weighing

John

-

Do keep beans in the fridge? Do you get any issues with moisture?

There is so much nonsense talked about bean storage. Why on earth would you put them in the fridge? Just keep the bag as airtight as you think necessary in a dark place. I buy kilo bags that currently last 2 weeks heading towards three and I never have an issue with them going stale. If they did, I would buy smaller bags!

• Like 1

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Follow me on Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dfkidd

One question for other white owners....

My grinder evidently rattled its way to Australia and where the front lid magnet has rubbed the paint it has been damaged. Has anyone else has this issue too?

Mine's similar. Would've been better I think if the magnet was recessed by 1mm. The safety switch engages a few mm before fully closed anyway.

And my last QC niggle.... the pinhole in the wood where the drill tip had gone a bit too far.

Im really happy with the quality overall, I’m just picky ;)

Im really sad that it’s been several days and I haven’t even had the chance use it yet! Reading all the rave reviews after work while it sits on the floor!

42F4C921-B420-4B17-AEE2-FCA4BF47E07B.jpg

Two questions:

1. How does the Niche measure up against the K30 purely on grind quality? Any experiences of taste in the cup?

2. How is the Sage DTP pairing up with the Niche?

Two questions:

1. How does the Niche measure up against the K30 purely on grind quality? Any experiences of taste in the cup?

2. How is the Sage DTP pairing up with the Niche?

2. I'm really enjoying it on the DTP, dialing 2 different beans in has seemed to end up with 50 second shots for the tastiest results. Taste wise I would put it at about the same as my K10, with the caveat that I am actually drinking nicer shots from the Niche as it is easier to dial in and doesn't waste as much coffee getting there.

I am using a portafilter funnel and this works well with the grind cup, not sure how well it would work with the DTP's portafilter otherwise.

Early days but initial impressions are very good.

I ran a few shots worth of gash Aldi Peruvian beans through the Niche then on to 18g of Mystery 9.

Retention is repeatably negligible so I’m not even bothering weighing out any more - what’s the point?

I’m getting a small amount of static in the grind cup which I don’t get with the E92. It might be the cup itself so I’ll test with the cup I was using before to discount that theory.

Dialed in to setting 22 which give 18g to 42g in 37s. A nice, full bodied shot very much on par with the E92 taste-wise. The ‘big conical’ flavour is definately there!

The only thing I will say, is that the best tasting espresso I had out of the E92 was with a hopper full of beans, and I’ve only even done that once during a party. But single dosing we’re comparing apples with apples here and as such there isn’t much in it.

I’m really liking the work flow!

I had to stand in front of the E92 and do 30 seconds of ‘puffing’ to get all the grinds out (and even then I had to dose 19g to be sure I would get 18g out). Now I just throw the beans in to the Niche, set it going, then go off and do something else.

Same quality of pour as with the E92 - spot on!

Overall, living with the Niche is where it scores - easy, no fuss, and consistent,

Not bad for a little grinder costing £2k less than the one it’s proudly sitting next to.

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Exactly what I found with the Niche vs my E92....my conclusion, either the Niche is damn good or the E92 is a very poor grinder.

Nothing here...

A single drop of water on the beans can stop static, I have had to use this with my Mono at times, it came shipped with a small water spray bottle. Would it hurt to use the same with the Niche?

A single drop of water on the beans can stop static, I have had to use this with my Mono at times, it came shipped with a small water spray bottle. Would it hurt to use the same with the Niche?

Agree I may have to.

But I didn't need to before with Ceado.

Its kinda faff free at present and it would be a shame to add another layer into the workflow.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agree I may have to.

But I didn't need to before with Ceado.

Its kinda faff free at present and it would be a shame to add another layer into the workflow.

I get a tiny amount left in the cup too, but it is not an amount measurable on my 0.1g scale so have mostly been ignoring.
So any Mahlkonig k30 owners who have upgraded?

By all accounts it's a great grinder and I don't have mine yet, but I'll be very surprised if it's an upgrade when compared to a K30. More convenient and home friendly maybe, but not in any other aspect surely.

I've always used a spray but haven't had to with the Niche. Dave did suggest it might not be wise to add water but I'm not sure he gave a reason. Are you using the tumbler that comes with it? I am. My home scales only go to one decimal place but I got 18.0 in and out this morning.

I get a tiny amount left in the cup too, but it is not an amount measurable on my 0.1g scale so have mostly been ignoring.

I think you're very right here. We do tend to get carried away with thinks on this forum. Even if you was to more than double that to .2 grams I doubt there's anybody alive who could perceive the difference.

It's not the retention aspect that's the issue, as you say it's irrelevant - it's just a bit messier to clean up.