Are you currently using a chopstick or have you gone back to shaking, Dave?

I still use that wooden chopstick, give it a quick stir for a few seconds and thats it.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I used mine today for espresso .....grind, shake a little, turn it up hoy it in, pull the shot....no spritzing with a single spout, tastes good.....whats the fascination with bottomless?.......just for good measure, switched to a bottomless, same procedure without fanning on, perfect pour

Is the above post basically, no i haven't used a 15g vst

When the sun sets during the winter it tends to mean that the daylight hours that preceded it were shorter, on average than the specifically measured hours of daylight on mid-summers day. Conversely if you measure the hours of daylight that immediately follow the sunrise 3 days after the equinox it is likely that the temperature was on the whole 3.4783231 degrees warmer than on a wet Wednesday in Honduras except, as seems unlikely, if the rain in Spain really does happen mainly in the mountains on Shrove Tuesday. But if you use a Gaggia Classic with the stock basket the maximum dose is nearer 15.6785g without tamping but channeling is more likely with an EK43 on Thursday.

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

I still use that wooden chopstick, give it a quick stir for a few seconds and thats it.

Thanks! Was afraid I was falling behind the vanguard of Nichery after watching this:

Do you use some sort of anti-popcorn inner lid in that video?

When the sun sets during the winter it tends to mean that the daylight hours that preceded it were shorter, on average than the specifically measured hours of daylight on mid-summers day. Conversely if you measure the hours of daylight that immediately follow the sunrise 3 days after the equinox it is likely that the temperature was on the whole 3.4783231 degrees warmer than on a wet Wednesday in Honduras except, as seems unlikely, if the rain in Spain really does happen mainly in the mountains on Shrove Tuesday. But if you use a Gaggia Classic with the stock basket the maximum dose is nearer 15.6785g without tamping but channeling is more likely with an EK43 on Thursday.

Potato, Potato

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

@jaffro Ive been using a 15gVST naked straight from the off. Ive now gone through around 4.5kg of beans with no major problems. Im now going through the CC three 500g offer which were lighter roasts. Ive upped the dose to 16g. Gives me good results. I grind in cup, stir with a long screw!!, into the pf. Tap NE, SE, SW and NW. I get a nice mound (mostly) which I tap level then tamp. For comparison I have an ECM Mechanica.

15g vst is a bitch, with any grinder. Especially at 9 bar....

It will be a combination of distribution allied to the face that you are grinding alot finer, as the dose is less, there is less coffee, the coffee bed is less dense, therefore finer grind to create some flow and resistance. Finer you go, the harder it is to get more even in the basket and for the grinder to keep really even too. Lastly add the more surface area of the combined holes on a vst means = it's a bitch.

Not much help I know, but hopefully gives you some perspective.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks! Was afraid I was falling behind the vanguard of Nichery after watching this:

That's his cunningly placed pringles lid. Edited by ashcroc

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Whoop! The Video :) I can enjoy the stickerless bottom all over again :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

In the hopper or on the cup?
In the hopper & to reduce the space for popcorning as you rightly guessed. Think he mentioned it in passing on this thread but it was a while ago so easily missed.

I'm using the Pringles lid and it works to stop the bits flying under the lid. However, muppetry... the lid is near enough transparent and I have been know to dump a load of beans on top of it with consequences I leave to your imagination... Now looking for a coloured equivalent...

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Looks like I can enjoy a 15g VST. IMS seem to have done the same thing

imsbaristapro.jpg

Argggggggggggg the 15 was sold as a 12 which is what I wanted.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

I'm using the Pringles lid and it works to stop the bits flying under the lid. However, muppetry... the lid is near enough transparent and I have been know to dump a load of beans on top of it with consequences I leave to your imagination... Now looking for a coloured equivalent...

RIT dye :) or Tumeric

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Steal some nail polish from your significant other to decorate the top side?

Looks like I can enjoy a 15g VST. IMS seem to have done the same thing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38518[/ATTACH]

Argggggggggggg the 15 was sold as a 12 which is what I wanted.

John

-

Totally different shape to the 15g VST so your search continues.

Steal some nail polish from your significant other to decorate the top side?

Ha, ha! :) :) Good idea!

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone, a few useful suggestions, I'll have a play!

15g vst is a bitch, with any grinder. Especially at 9 bar....

It will be a combination of distribution allied to the face that you are grinding alot finer, as the dose is less, there is less coffee, the coffee bed is less dense, therefore finer grind to create some flow and resistance. Finer you go, the harder it is to get more even in the basket and for the grinder to keep really even too. Lastly add the more surface area of the combined holes on a vst means = it's a bitch.

Not much help I know, but hopefully gives you some perspective.

That's useful info, thanks @Mrboots2u :) maybe I'll just put it in a non bottomless portafilter and forget about it haha.

I use 15 g VST with Niche and LR.

I grind, transfer the coffee to the portafilter with Funnel, then do WDT using Londinium DT.

Perfect pour.

Londinium R, Mythos 1, Comandante

Totally different shape to the 15g VST so your search continues.

I hadn't realised that. The 15g vst is along the same lines as many 14g baskets shape and perforation area wise. The Barista Pro are all similar and more straight sided.

Anyway the 15g on a DB might need 17g in it, the Sage double can work well with that amount of coffee in it. So wont be looking for a 15g VST.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

I finally cleaned the Niche straight after a shot, so thought I’d share some observations.

1. There was a lot of course grinds in the threads which might explain issues adjusting from coarse to fine.

2. The threads are greased! Be careful if you’re precious about getting grease on your brush and then other parts.

3. There are quite a few flakey bits below the burr.

4. The compacted grinds on the burr come off nicely using the side of a toothpick.

5. The burrs are made by Mazzer ;)

6. Some grinds get stuck around the springs. Be careful they don’t go in the hole where the spring is seated or they could upset the spring level.

7. When putting everything back I went past the calibration mark by 3 setting marks, which shows some variation from before. I re-calibrated and amended all my records. For info, I was using a range of 12-17 for espresso. Now it’s 15-20.

8. I got something like 0.7 to 0.9g out of the bugger. Probably 1g with bits stuck in the brush.

530d0ffbd8070fb37e0c0fd24418f60a.jpg

1e7f1b92d009d4ac026fcf05d22f0dbc.jpg

ec322f341909306e0cea6ca7db4bdf75.jpg

9ff3a2dbdf27e5d52886fb09b8acecb2.jpg

97e2d45233173a9bff0d76aca2928448.jpg

595c0a7127bbce02aae786ad98ec01b9.jpg

29230785704a37f33eeef7a5f562177d.jpg

a37ddc37a0afb3ff122f2dff7bdc39fc.jpg

cc7c7b0042dce641eb340ad66541772d.jpg

7e17ea06de5f61c7abb235c9df2f17e9.jpg

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Weirdly enough came here to write up my experiences of cleaning the Niche this morning - Richard and I are clearly in sync. Agree with pretty much everything above, though was actually a couple of setting marks the other side of the calibration mark. Will probably do a quick clean of the silver funnel more frequently to keep on top of the coarse grinds building up.

Super easy to clean! Glad I didn't take photos - now feel I wasn't quite as thorough as Richard!

Niche Zero || Feld2 || Aergrind

Profitec Pro 500 PID || Acaia Lunar

Kalita Wave || V60 || Aeropress || Clever Dripper || French Press

One thing I'd add would be to dose up by two beans for the first shot after cleaning to counteract the first grind retention

Niche Zero || Feld2 || Aergrind

Profitec Pro 500 PID || Acaia Lunar

Kalita Wave || V60 || Aeropress || Clever Dripper || French Press

I cleaned mine for the first time since I got it the other day (shameful, I know, I just kept forgetting to order myself a socket set since moving away from home!). It had probably had 4-5kg through it, mostly light/medium beans, but the occasional 250g of dark CC stuff.

It was very satisfying taking it apart and cleaning it, but I’m surprised at how ‘dirty’ yours is! Mine wasn’t even close to that amount of build up... I wonder why that is? Oilier beans, more switching between brew types,...

Pre-millennium La Pavoni, Sage Duo Temp Pro, Niche Zero

Aergrind + Aeropress for travelling