Or Nail Varnish :)

@DavecUK do you mean a bejazzle stuff haha

No I think that's something inappropriate I means sort of kids beads. Well I suppose it could be a Bejazzle, I might be getting the bejazzle confused with something else.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

to DFK; in what way would it taste different( sorry i'm only used to my mazzer major) thanks

Edited by ianskelly

to DFK; in what way would it taste different( sorry i'm only used to my mazzer major) thanks

good question! I am not the most technically gifted person on here so will allow others to explain the science, but, if you gave the a sheet of music to two pianists and asked them to play it, then you will get two different interpretations of the same thing. If you look at a flat burr and a conical burr, the breaking/crushing parts are in different areas. A conical burr the grind travels down the full width, slowly due to rpm. A flat uses centrifugal force to chuck it out. The result is that the same bean can and does taste totally different. Asa very general rule of thumb, conicals seem better suited to darker beans, but not exclusively

Thank you for the explanation! Possibly the niche maybe better for me

as I tend to prefer Italian style chocolaty beans then?

Thank you for the explanation! Possibly the niche maybe better for me

as I tend to prefer Italian style chocolaty beans then?

I would be thinking about what you're using it for more than the taste profile differences, you can always find a coffee that will taste good on either, but if you buy a grinder that doesn't suit your needs you'll be disappointed.

The Mythos is an absolute pleasure to use, though I like to make sure the hopper is full, it makes for very consistent results. The ease of use and cleanliness of the Mythos is second to none, perfect grinds even time.

The Niche is my favourite grinder to use for daily coffee's now. It is more labour intensive and slower (who really cares about speed?). The Mythos isn't exactly the fastest grinder either. It has a wonderful grind adjustment system and is so easy to dial in (The fastest grinder I've used to dial in). Taste out of both is brilliant.

I love my Mythos so much, but the freshness of beans ground with the Niche and it's dialling in ability, make it my pick for the home user(when making 3 coffees or less at a time). Both are great and well worth considering.

Ran into a slight issue tonight, wondering if anyone can help.

Had my grinder calibrated and on 18 for espresso. Tonight set forward (anti clockwise) to 0 for French press which was delicious. I've now gone to turn it back to 18 (clockwise) but it stiffens after quarter of a turn and then won't seem to go any further. Removed collar, cleaned, replaced, but still seems to be stuck. Have I missed something, or could something be stuck in the burrs? Should I just try and recalibrate?

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

I can also hear the spring pinging as I turn which I don't remember before - is that normal?

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

I can also hear the spring pinging as I turn which I don't remember before - is that normal?

I haven't had this experience. If no one can help here - Niche towers should be able to help.

And, by the way, and accepting your glitch, I think the Niche is brilliant and a dream to dial in.

Are you running the grinder for a few seconds every 10-15 marks as you go finer after coarse grinding ?

Also remove top adjustment ring and manually press top burr down and release pressure, what happens?

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

but it stiffens after quarter of a turn and then won't seem to go any further. Removed collar, cleaned, replaced, but still seems to be stuck. Have I missed something, or could something be stuck in the burrs? Should I just try and recalibrate?

When I'm going from drip back to espresso I found the adjustment collar gets tights after about 10 clicks. So as DaveC said, just run the grinder for a few seconds. Then adjust finer til it's stiff; 10 clicks-ish. Then run grinder. Repeat until at setting required.

Ok all sorted, thank you! Back to 20 for espresso and all is fine. Lost my white dot on the way but will buy some tipex today. Oh and the French Press I made last night (Extract's Dr Strangelove, El Salvador) far exceeded any French Press I ever had with my old Vario - bright, delicate and almost sweet, no lingering bitters, and absolutely no fines or sludge left in my mug. Can't wait to make another one.

Are you running the grinder for a few seconds every 10-15 marks as you go finer after coarse grinding ?

Also remove top adjustment ring and manually press top burr down and release pressure, what happens?

I thought I was, but I don't think I was running it often enough as I adjusted, and then became nervous to run it when I thought the burrs might be touching. Sounds silly as I know they couldn't have been but can't help being cautious with it! I just needed to persevere. The burr does move when I press it down, the spring is fine.
When I'm going from drip back to espresso I found the adjustment collar gets tights after about 10 clicks. So as DaveC said, just run the grinder for a few seconds. Then adjust finer til it's stiff; 10 clicks-ish. Then run grinder. Repeat until at setting required.
Thanks, this is all I needed to do, although I'm sure I ran it when it first got stiff and it remained stiff. I think I was probably just being a little too delicate with attempts to turn the collar, not that I needed to force it or anything, just needed a moderate amount of pressure to keep tightening.

It's great that there is no problem. Instead of Tippex make an old engineer very happy & treat yourself to a small modellers pot of enamel paint and a fine brush. You could even choose a flourescent colour other than white.

I seem to suddenly be getting a quiet but constant high pitched beep when running the grinder. Anyone else hearing something like this. I don't think its burrs rubbing, sounds electrical to me.

It's great that there is no problem. Instead of Tippex make an old engineer very happy & treat yourself to a small modellers pot of enamel paint and a fine brush. You could even choose a flourescent colour other than white.
Red gloss enamel paint and a cotton bud did the trick.688bff61202715d7687afb914f58ea5a.jpg

Now I am very happy....I would also have chosen red or perhaps yellow. I hope you didn't steal someones nail polish? hopefully we have started a trend ;)

just thinking I am sure I have a pot of Metallic Gold somewhere....

I seem to suddenly be getting a quiet but constant high pitched beep when running the grinder. Anyone else hearing something like this. I don't think its burrs rubbing, sounds electrical to me.

Nothing inside it capable of making an electronic beep as far as I know? Make a Video with sound.

Try removing the top burr ring and top burr only. Close the lid and run the grinder....does it still make a sound. Then remove the bottom burr and sweep arm as well, does it still "beep". Removing the burrs should only take a few minutes.

Or find an appropriately sized implement to hold the interlock button down so that you can run the grinder whilst adjusting...

disclaimer: not recommended if you lack control of your limbs, lack understanding of what a grinder does, or are working underneath small objects that have a tendancy to fall onto your workspace

Nothing inside it capable of making an electronic beep as far as I know? Make a Video with sound.

Try removing the top burr ring and top burr only. Close the lid and run the grinder....does it still make a sound. Then remove the bottom burr and sweep arm as well, does it still "beep". Removing the burrs should only take a few minutes.

Cheers dave, i've just done this and it doesn't make any noise without the top burr. I gave it a good clean as there was a lot of compacted coffee on the top burr but its still making the same noise, perhaps a tiny bit quieter.

Cheers dave, i've just done this and it doesn't make any noise without the top burr. I gave it a good clean as there was a lot of compacted coffee on the top burr but its still making the same noise, perhaps a tiny bit quieter.

try the things below in order.

Video would be good, but it does sound as if something is rubbing. Again simply turn it to a very coarse grind and bring the ring back by 5 marks just to be sure the outer ring has pressed cleanly onto the top burr. Does the noise go away at a coarse grind.

Don't forget to pull out the phone and instead of shooting a selfie, shoot a video (with sound of coarse), only take 30 seconds, upload to your tube as unlisted and shove a link here.

When you took the top burr out, did you take a photo, or note how the top of the sweep arms looked, any witness marks etc..

All the questions are because I have never had a squeaking/beeping noise beofre in over a year of testing and different Niche grinders.

The last possibility is that someone compacted coffee or a foreign object has got below the sweep arms and you can remove the bottom burr and sweep arms and give it all a good clean....probably not the issue, but you never know. The reason why the top burr off may have silenced it is because of course there is little pressure bearing down hen grinding.

P.S. If you have "discovered" something as yet undiscovered, it would be great to solve it. At least you know the beep is not electronic, not the control board, not the motor etc..

Naa I get ya. I felt the same way when I saw it in pictures. Looked a little flimsy compared to the rest of the build.

After using it though, I think it's a good choice. And despite looks, it is high quality when you use it. Its hard to imagine what the grinder would look like with a wood lid, but I do like looking at the whole metal funnel though the clear lid.

I agree, I like the plastic lid, it certainly helps being transparent. And the moulding is rather nice. We will see how robust it proves to be.

Rocket R58, Bottomless portafilter, VST 18g basket, Niche Zero, Joey tamper (58.4)

Thanks for all of that Dave, I have taken it apart again because I'm an idiot and I seem to struggle to reproduce "finger tight" so ended up with a super coarse grind after calibration. I'll have a go at removing the bottom burr and sweep arm to see if that makes any difference. I didn't notice any marks on the top of the sweep arm when the top burr was off.

Or pop into a naked If motor factors & get a small pot of car touch up paint. It'll have it's own brush in the lid (like tippex) but be much harder wearing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Or pop into a naked If motor factors & get a small pot of car touch up paint. It'll have it's own brush in the lid (like tippex) but be much harder wearing.

I guess you culd match the dot to the colour of your car, well as long as the car isn't a dark colour like black. The major achievement is we have stopped talking about sticking the dot back on and moved to more innovative (better) solutions ;)

Prompted by some previous posts I got looking for some single shot storage containers and found these, look pretty smart with the metal tops. Nicely made and size accurate.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-100mL-Empty-Clear-Glass-Wishing-Bottles-Craft-Vials-Jars-With-Gold-Silver-Lid/222681072344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521535902952&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I got 2 sizes the 60ml - 110mm 30mm and 70ml - 80mm * 37mm, the photos are with 18g of beans. Think a 50ml may just also just get 18g in, with some beans in the threaded part.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg