Reading the comments so far.....I think I'm safe getting a refund on my one way ticket for South America ;)

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

You tighten the funnel to finger tight then click the black plastic ring round til the white dot aligns with "calibrate". Then you have the grind wound right in, so don't turn it on. You then wind the funnel back anticlockwise til the white dot points to your desired grind setting.

For me this led to quite a shift although I did it before use so couldn't tell you where it would've been uncalibrated, but 30s down to teens wouldn't seem out of the question. In fact the ring could've been spun to any position on delivery in theory.

I followed this and at finger tight the white Mark was pretty much bang on the calibrate mark so done at build time.

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

You tighten the funnel to finger tight then click the black plastic ring round til the white dot aligns with "calibrate". Then you have the grind wound right in, so don't turn it on. You then wind the funnel back anticlockwise til the white dot points to your desired grind setting.

For me this led to quite a shift although I did it before use so couldn't tell you where it would've been uncalibrated, but 30s down to teens wouldn't seem out of the question. In fact the ring could've been spun to any position on delivery in theory.

Cheers Luke... that worked a treat and I am now down around the 16 mark which is a lot closer to where I would expect.

So happy with the grinder and the near zero retention is awesome.

Many happy days ahead

Reading the comments so far.....I think I'm safe getting a refund on my one way ticket for South America ;)

mmm... hasn’t hit the HB forum yet ... someone will surely want to adapt a full size hopper for it !;)

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Are you guys leaving it plugged in permanently?

I.e. the red light on all the time?

Makes sense I just want to make sure it’s designed to be that way and nothing is going to burn out etc

Live and Let Live

20181005_112836_resized.jpg

I put two 18g doses through as suggested. Retention from the first was about 0.7g and the second about 0.3g. Both these were at 15 on the dial after calibration. I tried running the second one through and it choke the machine. I then made two to drink, guessing at 22. The first was 0.01g less out than in. The second was 0.02g more than in - very impressive. As impressive was that there was no static which meant the grounds sat lower in the basket before tamping so easier to tap to level with no mess. The first shot was 18-37 in 33s (on 22). I forgot to time the second. I'm using Origin Geisha Washed at present. I had previously had the natural and wasn't so keen on the washed but today they tasted great. It's early days and I shall take it home to try with the Vesuvius but first impressions are excellent. It's actually slightly larger and chunkier than I had imagined which is good and it's nice and smooth and quiet running. If it turns out to be as good as it seems it's great not having to spend £2,000 plus to get exactly what a home barista requires. I could just do with a 53mm cup but as there's no static, it transfers with the funnel very easily anyway. I might try straight into the basket.

Home: Ambient Vesuvius, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: La Spaziale S1 Mini II & Niche Zero

This is a truly amazing thread to read and I never tire of reading all of your comments.

We are really glad the grinder has been so well received and we can't thank Dave C enough for all of his help.

We hope the Niche continues to impress and if you have any questions/problems please drop me an email at [email protected] .

Keep up the great works guys,

James from Niche Coffee

Question........what solutions have people come up with for single dosing? By that, I mean you can buy those really expensive glasss tubes in a stand that you load up with your desired dose then simply tip in. I have seen some using test tubes. I have seen some nice Zen type bamboo holders, and some, like me at the mo, just weigh out and tip in. thoughts?

Question........what solutions have people come up with for single dosing? By that, I mean you can buy those really expensive glasss tubes in a stand that you load up with your desired dose then simply tip in. I have seen some using test tubes. I have seen some nice Zen type bamboo holders, and some, like me at the mo, just weigh out and tip in. thoughts?

I bought these months ago, turned out to be pointless with my K10 as there is too much variance but have been perfect for the Niche, one broke on arrival but the others are working well.

Thought about getting a block of wood and drilling some holes for them to go into but for now they are living in a kitchen draw underneath my machine.

Sage DTP - Compak K10 & Niche Zero

Does anyone find they don't have to distribute after emptying the cup into the portafilter basket? I've stopped using my Londinium tool and just level the surface with my spinnny thing, then tamp.

I'm still distributing but if the consensus turns out to be it doesnt need it then I'll probably go with that. The grounds certainly look fluffier than I'm used to with the Aergrind so perhaps its not needed.

Edited by slamm

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

I’m using these to bring beans to work (hand grind at work and got an AeroPress):

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-METAL-TIN-Small-Empty-Pot-Plain-Storage-60ml-68mm-Diam-x-25mm-High-/183218195729?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Would work for Niche too, but I just weigh in when needed - worked well enough with Santos, so might just keep doing so with Niche.

I bought these months ago, turned out to be pointless with my K10 as there is too much variance but have been perfect for the Niche, one broke on arrival but the others are working well.

Thought about getting a block of wood and drilling some holes for them to go into but for now they are living in a kitchen draw underneath my machine.

look nice, i had seen these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dabixx-Airtight-Container-Storage-Size-01/dp/B07FKJYHW6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1538745039&sr=8-17&keywords=bamboo%2Btubes&th=1

Have you seen the jars in my photo? They work really well. I was going to make a rack whereby you fill them up then pull then out of the bottom in turn but I've ended up moving away from filling them in advance and just filling enough for the number of drinks I'm making each time. Also, I did spray the beans so needed something to shake them in. Now that I don't think I'll need to do that I may just weigh as I go. I'm undecided as yet.

Home: Ambient Vesuvius, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: La Spaziale S1 Mini II & Niche Zero

Looking at the deep cleaning part in the guide and curious how it stays in alignment after replacing the burrs.. is the inner burr keyed? As the outer burr can go back in two ways I assume it doesn't matter which way around it goes? And to take the inner burr out how do you stop it turning - cant seem to get enough grip on the burr so do you wedge the sweep arms with something?

pavoni europiccola + niche zero / feld47 : now using James Bond's *coffee* steaming technique

I have found some on a Chinese website. They say airtight for tea/coffee storage. have bought a couple of sets so will report back once the grey slug delivery service has landed!

So far I got the best result set to 17 for the Europiccola, tried finer at 15 and the pull ended up at over a minute and temp went sky high.. think I'l go a tad coarser at 18-19 next.. anyone else got any settings for the Pav?

Are you guys leaving it plugged in permanently?

I.e. the red light on all the time?

Makes sense I just want to make sure it’s designed to be that way and nothing is going to burn out etc

I haven't set mine up yet as I'm still at work, but is this the case that there is a light permanently on if the grinder is on at the wall?

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

I haven't set mine up yet as I'm still at work, but is this the case that there is a light permanently on if the grinder is on at the wall?

That’s right, red light on all the time.

Live and Let Live

That’s right, red light on all the time.
Thanks. So what's the verdict, is it OK to leave on or should it be turned off?

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

Thanks. So what's the verdict, is it OK to leave on or should it be turned off?
Would be more energy efficient to turn off though I doubt it'd burn much electric.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It runs a tiny Neon...just like some extension leads runs a tiny neon (not as tiny, but small). The rest of the circuitry isn't really doing anything (mainly a small bridge rectifier) as nothing is being drawn by the motor. Of course the guidance from Niche (as it must be) would be to turn it off when not at home and at night sort of thing. Me personally, I just leave it on at the wall.

Elecrtic use is negligible...

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/