2 minutes ago, KTD said:

Tried a limited change, I’m fairly limited on dose size and tamp lightly as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not clear what is limiting your change. I haven't noticed dull shots with the disk, but to appraise the difference will take way more than 5 minutes to dial in both with & without to best possible taste, then compare. Otherwise we can only be sure that one condition is dialled in.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got my Niche and am just in love with the haptics and looks and baffled by the nice, low humming sound it makes when idling. I switched from the Baratza Sette and Virtuoso and it’s like night and

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better. 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.   (it is a user experience thread...)

Posted Images

It's not clear what is limiting your change. I haven't noticed dull shots with the disk, but to appraise the difference will take way more than 5 minutes to dial in both with & without to best possible taste, then compare. Otherwise we can only be sure that one condition is dialled in.

Getting 5 minutes didn’t mean actually 5 minutes clearly it would take longer, can’t believe I had to point that out to be honest! I was posting more to see if anyone else had found there to be a change rather than try and find a fix, it would be easy to receive a niche with a disc on and never know there could be a difference.

32 minutes ago, KTD said:

Getting 5 minutes didn’t mean actually 5 minutes clearly it would take longer, can’t believe I had to point that out to be honest! I was posting more to see if anyone else had found there to be a change rather than try and find a fix, it would be easy to receive a niche with a disc on and never know there could be a difference.

I took the disk out ready for tomorrow and Friday. Likelihood I’ll be able to tell the difference.... small, but one never knows until one tries!

im trying to keep my shots in the same ball park time wise, so I changed the Niche from 8 to 10.5 as a starting point.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Less mouthfeel and more clarity with the NFC disk, which was the intended effect, popcoring elimination was a handy side effect.

• Like 3

Nothing here...

1 minute ago, DavecUK said:

Less mouthfeel and more clarity with the NFC disk, which was the intended effect, popcoring elimination was a handy side effect.

Which, given my understanding of what the disk does, makes total sense! 👍

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

I fancy having a go at Turkish...I know the Niche is not optimal for a Turkish grind but I've tested the grind on a few beans and it can go pretty fine.  I use 15+ on the Niche for my La Pav, 37 for Moka pots.  I'm concerned that by going super-fine for Turkish that I could damage the burrs or overload the gearbox.  I tried it on a few beans at zero, it was a little clumpy, at -4 (ie less than zero) it looked good.

Am I taking a risk here with the grinder?

I also have an Orphan Espresso E-T, if this is more suitable feel free to steer me in the right direction 🙂

18 hours ago, KTD said:

Right I’ve had a few days of usage and testing and I can say with some certainty the taste is flatter with the disc on. Blends seem to lose their identity by muting the coffees that make them different, I’ve done side by side tasting across 2 single origins(Cuba and Kenyan) and 3 blends. If anyone gets five minutes and gets a chance to try it without the disc let me know how you get on.

16 hours ago, DavecUK said:

My thoughts are it moves between mouthfeel and clarity, with/without the disk.

As far as I can tell - Dave is on the money here. To me, the coffee without the disk feels more velvety, which is the texture expected in a straight espresso. I seldom drink Americano, and I don't think one can tell the difference on a milk-based drink.

I think it's a matter of taste and preferences. I enjoyed the velvety-ness of today's espresso, so will leave the disk in the drawer for the time being. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

so will leave the disk in the drawer for the time being. 

Actually... I lied 🙂 - For the sake of this experiment, I will put the disk back tomorrow to give it a fair comparison and make sure it's not just a placebo effect. I actually just had another espresso, and the mouthfeel is excellent without the disk, however, I do notice that, as Dave points out, the clarity is not present anymore. Being a light roast coffee, I do wonder whether the disk benefits getting the most of that type of coffee. 

52 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Actually... I lied 🙂 - For the sake of this experiment, I will put the disk back tomorrow to give it a fair comparison and make sure it's not just a placebo effect. I actually just had another espresso, and the mouthfeel is excellent without the disk, however, I do notice that, as Dave points out, the clarity is not present anymore. Being a light roast coffee, I do wonder whether the disk benefits getting the most of that type of coffee. 

One morning I come to grind coffee, and something looks different. I look again - the disk and screw are missing! What an odd thing! Someone broke in and just took the disk! I look around, no sighs of forced entry. Then what happened??!?

I then remember I vacuum cleaned the grinder yesterday. That must be it. I open the vacuum cleaner, feel the bag, but can't feel anything hard. So I take everything out of the bag, look through with a comb - nothing!

.... eventually I found it stuck in the hose of the vacuum cleaner, of course. Was someone trying to tell me something?

Edited by Doram
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, Doram said:

Was someone trying to tell me something?

Yes... Make sure screws are tight! 😂

19 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

@KTD , verdict from me:

It's definitely not a placebo effect. With the disk I can taste more acidity, more clarity, but the mouthfeel is a bit "thin". Without the disk, I can feel a more texturised shot, better mouthfeel, but definitely less acidity comes through. 

Which one do I prefer? Tricky. It's a matter of taste. And it's great to have a choice with such a simple modification. 👍

• Like 3

Agreed, I think for me the flavours I was missing were mouthfeel related or the lingering of said flavours with the disc. I imagine different coffees will benefit from having the disc off/on

• Like 1

I personally like the disk on but it was always designed to give the user a choice. This choice depends on personal taste, the coffees and roast levels they prefer. it just adds another dimension to what you can do, with no downside.

It's great to see that the views on its effect from my own testing are echoed by users on here.

Nothing here...

46 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

It's definitely not a placebo effect. With the disk I can taste more acidity, more clarity, but the mouthfeel is a bit "thin". Without the disk, I can feel a more texturised shot, better mouthfeel, but definitely less acidity comes through. 

Very interesting. Can anyone explain why poprorning vs. disk would have this effect?

2 minutes ago, Doram said:

Very interesting. Can anyone explain why poprorning vs. disk would have this effect?

It's not about popcorning, that's why it's called an NFC disk, it controls the flow of beans (slows it down), so they don't pack in the burrs. This affects grind and fines.

Edited by DavecUK

Nothing here...

5 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

It's not about popcorning, that's why it's called an NFC disk, it controls the flow of beans (slows it down, so they don't pack in the burrs. This affects grind and fines.

Thanks. So how would disk/no disk affect the grind and fines, and how/why would that translated to the mouthfeel/acidity/clarity in the cup? (I am trying to understand what is going on when you use or not use the disk).

Edited by Doram
10 minutes ago, Doram said:

Thanks. So how would disk/no disk affect the grind and fines, and how/why would that translated to the mouthfeel/acidity/clarity in the cup? (I am trying to understand what is going on when you use or not use the disk).

When you feed beans in slower, the grind is coarser than if they are allowed to pack the burrs where the coffee rubs against itself and creates as smaller gap...like 1000 people trying to leave a burning cinema, if they all rush for the exits less get out than if there is an orderly flow. This is due to "packing".

By slowing the flow, you have to tighten the grind (closing the gap between the burrs), because of this you get a smaller range of fines.

• Thanks 1

Nothing here...