1 minute ago, Rob1 said:

Is it the decaf that's variable or both?

All beans I have tried, both caffeinated and decaf (all fresh beans within a month from roast but rested for at least 7 days).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better. 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.   (it is a user experience thread...)

Just got my Niche and am just in love with the haptics and looks and baffled by the nice, low humming sound it makes when idling. I switched from the Baratza Sette and Virtuoso and it’s like night and

Posted Images

Sorry let me just get it clear.

You tried multiple different coffees, both caf and decaf? 

You've dialled each one in to different grind settings to achieve what you want?

But you come to pull two shots of the same bean back to back, same dose chucked into the grinder and ground up and all that, and you see massive variance in shot times? Have you weighed the grinds to check for consistency? I'd expect it would have to be out by at least a gram to see 10+ second differences. I've seen people on facebook clogging their grinders up and getting a lot of retention with very fine grinds, light roasts and decaf.

So...the only thing I can think of is you're having to grind too fine with the disc installed and it's clogging the grinder up or producing too many fines. I asked if it was just decaf because I believe you tend to have to grind very fine with decaf usually? And if it's happening with ordinary beans it could be they're a very light roast or high density, or just a varietal that needs a crazy fine grind. 

Otherwise, pass. No idea what could be causing it. I can't see anything logically related to the disc. I have found myself there can easily be prep issues with light roasts that can cause significant variation in shot times even when seeming to do everything the same, but obviously can't say if that's what's causing it for you. Fortunately I don't drink them that often. If you had a kruve you'd be able to test the consistency and see if it was way out from one grind to the next.

Yeah - I am also quite confused.

Multiple different coffees. Dialled in as best as I could. Two back to back coffees (with any bean), can be 10-15 seconds difference between the two shots. I weigh into the grinder but must admit I haven't weighed the output, would be a good idea to test this if I reinstall the disk. Would be interesting to see the grind results with a kruve but I don't have one unfortunately.

All the beans I have at the moment are medium/dark - given the problems I was having I thought it would be best to keep clear of lighter roasts at the moment. Caff - Rave Signature and decaf currently Hasbean's offering, but previously was using Rave's decafs as well. I am quite fine on the grind setting, but the grinder has always needed this since new; around 7-8 for the Signature beans and around 6 for the Decaf that I am using at the moment, but I have even been towards 0 with ligher roasts in the past. Interestingly my father just received his Niche this week and is using grind setting 18 for Rave Signature beans, same dose, also using a Profitec E61 machine. I know grind settings will be different grinder to grinder but 10 grind settings finer seems quite a lot? Both grinders are calibrated. I am probably going off track here but trying to consider everything!

At least it seems OK without the disk....!

The thing with comparing different grind settings is the grinder can be calibrated to 0 by 4-5 notches difference, and over time as the burrs break in you'll need a different grind setting. I used to grind around 15-22 and now grind around 7-15ish (with admittedly a wider range of coffees and with the nfc installed). 

...but the calibration has changed so that's fairly meaningless. Had to go down to 0 at one point and then I cleaned the grinder, recalibrated and started grinding about 8 so it's not unusual. Whenever I clean now I'm careful not to touch the black ring so I don't have to recalibrate and dial in again.

Edited by Rob1
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Ive had my Niche for just under a week now, previously I was using the grinder in my Sage Barista Pro which for the most part did a decent job. I have noticed with the niche that when the coffee starts to extract it always has an easier time getting through the niche grounds that it did with the Pro grinder. I usually do a 5 second pre-infusion with the Barista pro and then in total when starting a new bean I aim for 1:2 ratio in around 30 seconds including the pre-infusion to get an idea where I need to be. 

On the niche using a bottomless portafilter I usually have drips at 5 seconds whereas on the pro grinder I probably would see anything till around 7-8 seconds and I’m thinking this is related to fines?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Caffeinated_fiend said:

Hi all,

Ive had my Niche for just under a week now, previously I was using the grinder in my Sage Barista Pro which for the most part did a decent job. I have noticed with the niche that when the coffee starts to extract it always has an easier time getting through the niche grounds that it did with the Pro grinder. I usually do a 5 second pre-infusion with the Barista pro and then in total when starting a new bean I aim for 1:2 ratio in around 30 seconds including the pre-infusion to get an idea where I need to be. 

On the niche using a bottomless portafilter I usually have drips at 5 seconds whereas on the pro grinder I probably would see anything till around 7-8 seconds and I’m thinking this is related to fines?

It's not worth over thinking this aspect in all honesty 

• Like 1

Well it could just be you were grinding finer with the sage...

5 seconds is pretty short for a pre-infusion, I tend not to see coffee forming on the bottom of the filter until 10 seconds or more. But whatever works for you. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

Well it could just be you were grinding finer with the sage...

5 seconds is pretty short for a pre-infusion, I tend not to see coffee forming on the bottom of the filter until 10 seconds or more. But whatever works for you. 

I think 5 seconds was the default when using the volumetric button so I just kept it to that when on manual, I seem to be between 14.5 to 16 on the niche. The niche gives me a more stable shot compared to the pro, on the pro it would generally speed up during the second half of the shot whereas the niche tends to remain more or less the same all the way through. 

Does it matter if the coffee is dripping through on the pre-infusion? Could try 10 seconds and see what effect it has. 

so, I had the Niche for 5 days now, very happy with it

used it for espresso only so far set at around 12, grinding directly to the PF with dosing ring on the basket, then stir, distribute and tamp, 15g in 15g VST, picture perfect pours every time and great coffee..the grinder also looks great and is very quiet and easy to clean

such a great grinder indeed 👍

• Like 5
so, I had the Niche for 5 days now, very happy with it
used it for espresso only so far set at around 12, grinding directly to the PF with dosing ring on the basket, then stir, distribute and tamp, 15g in 15g VST, picture perfect pours every time and great coffee..the grinder also looks great and is very quiet and easy to clean
such a great grinder indeed [emoji106]

I had also started grinding directly into the PF. Providing the funnel is tall enough (3cm min) and the NFC disk is installed, I find the workflow is spot on and mess free. i tried with a shorter dosing funnel and it was a mess. [emoji6]
  • Like 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

11 minutes ago, richwade80 said:

I want to see pictures of those grinding directly into the PF. When I tried it, it was a real mess. Maybe I should have another go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep funnel helps 😀

900D78AA-0A51-4048-AF75-308A869C8C71.jpeg

• Like 1
51mm deep funnel into bottomless portafilter. No stand needed.
DeeperFunnel.thumb.jpg.5e962a6647c301f64be42d486c41c5c5.jpg

Thanks.

Do you find you get lots of staticky bits flying over the top? I found that you needed a tall dosing ring to have any chance of stopping that. Admittedly that was a yoghurt pot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk