• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got my Niche and am just in love with the haptics and looks and baffled by the nice, low humming sound it makes when idling. I switched from the Baratza Sette and Virtuoso and it’s like night and

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better. 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.   (it is a user experience thread...)

Posted Images

If I put a small mark here, then I can always find my calibration setting.

Sometimes after a period of use between cleaning, i can’t always turn the setting back to the calibration point immediately. Particularly if i just did something very coarse for some reason. To avoid any doubt that I moved the dial I figured I’d record it after a thorough cleaning.

0551e615306bd02bb815a902dca9d8b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder
2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2
2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero
2020 - Londinium R + Niche Zero
Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just cleaned my Niche, reassembled and calibrated it and it turns out that the new settings for my beans are 6 (decaf, medium) and 9 (Nicaragua, medium).

While I'm well aware that the numbers are just a reference point, I like to operate around the grind setting 20 - the area that's right ahead of me and thus easier to see and to change the settings.

So my question is, having calibrated my grinder, is it okay to rotate just the black ring with the dot to "transfer" the current dial-in point from 6 and 9 to something like 16 and 19?  Or would you rather advise against it?

Lelit MaraX | Niche Zero with NFC | Acaia Lunar | VST 15g, 18g, 20g | IMS 200 IM | Londinium Distribution Tool | Osmio Zero water remineralised to 40KH + 68GH

I've never been past 15 ever for espresso. 9 seems OK for decaf I could be wrong try it and find out.

Edited by Jony

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

4 minutes ago, PD2020 said:

So my question is, having calibrated my grinder, is it okay to rotate just the black ring with the dot to "transfer" the current dial-in point from 6 and 9 to something like 16 and 19?  Or would you rather advise against it?

By doing this you risk upsetting the balance of the universe.....

tenor.gif?itemid=5325355

Put trust in your feelings......

@PD2020 - I wouldn’t, as you may forget and mash the burrs together if you forget you have moved the dot so far out...

Also agree with Jony, that seems super low in terms of the numbers. Maybe take it apart clean and try again? Mine has always been about 13+

4 minutes ago, Northern_Monkey said:

@PD2020 - I wouldn’t, as you may forget and mash the burrs together if you forget you have moved the dot so far out...

Also agree with Jony, that seems super low in terms of the numbers. Maybe take it apart clean and try again? Mine has always been about 13+

I cleaned it yesterday and got the low numbers.  Today I repeated the clean and ended up at 6 and 9 again.

Edit: fair point about potentially forgetting where I really am

Edited by PD2020

Lelit MaraX | Niche Zero with NFC | Acaia Lunar | VST 15g, 18g, 20g | IMS 200 IM | Londinium Distribution Tool | Osmio Zero water remineralised to 40KH + 68GH

I'm normally between 8 and and 11 (with NFC disk) for espresso, that's with 15s pre-infusions and 18g VST.

/\_/\ .。oO(Vesuvius, Niche Zero, V60)
   >^.^<.---.
  _'-`-'     )\
 (--\ |--\ (`.`-.
     --'  --'  ``-'

You know that bit in DaveC's video "Niche Zero - Watch this before unpacking or soon after" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lMoJqp-Rw , where he says to twist the top funnel anti-clockwise until your fingers slip.

I did this part very gently to avoid any unnecessary force and the black dot ended up a couple of millimetres before the calibration point (so not 100% aligned, but very close).  If I had tried to twist the top a tiny bit further (which probably would have worked), would that have changed my dialled-in settings from 6 and 9 to higher or even lower numbers?

18 minutes ago, PD2020 said:

You know that bit in DaveC's video "Niche Zero - Watch this before unpacking or soon after" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lMoJqp-Rw , where he says to twist the top funnel anti-clockwise until your fingers slip.

I did this part very gently to avoid any unnecessary force and the black dot ended up a couple of millimetres before the calibration point (so not 100% aligned, but very close).  If I had tried to twist the top a tiny bit further (which probably would have worked), would that have changed my dialled-in settings from 6 and 9 to higher or even lower numbers?

What difference does it make? If it was out by 1 number then if you had tightened it obviously your grind setting will be one number finer or coarser depending on which direction the notch was out. But it makes absolutely no difference to the distance between the burrs it's just a reference point.

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

27 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

What difference does it make? If it was out by 1 number then if you had tightened it obviously your grind setting will be one number finer or coarser depending on which direction the notch was out. But it makes absolutely no difference to the distance between the burrs it's just a reference point.

Thanks for confirming that, Rob1.

So it sounds like how far I twist the top funnel until my fingers slip won't have a significant impact (e.g. more than 2 notches) on the grind settings.  I'm not willing to try force twisting it anyway.

I am mostly between 8-12. 8 for decaf and 10-12 medium to dark roasts with NFC disk

Edited by Inspector
  • Thanks 1

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV and Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 18gr & 22gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Using NFC disc I'm down as low as 4 or 5 on some beans and 8 for others, mostly light medium or medium roast. Tried cleaning and re-calibrating but if I set it around 15 it pulls the shot 1st around 10s.

Edited by TonyJoe
18 minutes ago, TonyJoe said:

Using NFC disc I'm down as low as 4 or 5 on some beans and 8 for others, mostly light medium or medium roast. Tried cleaning and re-calibrating but if I set it around 15 it pulls the shot 1st around 10s.

Hey, this doesn’t sound right.

which beans? Are you using freshly roasted? Which machine? Which coffee basket? How’s your prep? How much are you dosing?

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

1 hour ago, TonyJoe said:

I generally have mine set to around 10. I have been down to 5/6 with Pacamara. Are you having problems with your results?

ACS Minima (Beta) with Bianca Paddle -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

WATER CALCULATOR

I do not get this fixation with numbers! The Niche is stepless....if it needs tightened, tighten it and vice versa. Your movements will be small unless possibly a change in brew method or bean type

Edited by dfk41
  • Like 3

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

1 hour ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

Hey, this doesn’t sound right.

which beans? Are you using freshly roasted? Which machine? Which coffee basket? How’s your prep? How much are you dosing?

This morning's beans were roasted end July, opened about a week ago and kept in a small Airscape container. Grind is set at 5.
Machine is an ECM Mechanika Slim V,  a VST 15g basket (15g dose) and an IMS shower screen.
I use homemade WDT to ensure no clumps, tap level and tamp. From pulling lever to 1st drops is about 12s and shows about 9.5 bar pressure. From 1st drop to 30g weight of shot takes about 20s.

5 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

I generally have mine set to around 10. I have been down to 5/6 with Pacamara. Are you having problems with your results?

No shots taste fine, usually. I just seem to be on lower numbers than most. Slight discrepancy of burrs maybe?

1 minute ago, TonyJoe said:

No shots taste fine, usually. I just seem to be on lower numbers than most. Slight discrepancy of burrs maybe?

Not at all......ignore the numbers, they are a point of reference that's all

• Like 2

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

30 minutes ago, TonyJoe said:

If shots taste fine, then all good. Like @dfk41 - it’s stepless, and the numbers are irrelevant. But it’s nice to compare if they all calibrated in the same way.

for reference, I’m using some Costa Rican beans from BlackCat. VST 18g, Lelit Elizabeth, no per infusion, it’s at setting 10, coffee comes out in 45 seconds! With pre-infusion, comes out in 34s. Other Costa Rican beans from BB require an increase of 4 steps.

Doesn’t affect taste, but in the interest of experiments, I like numbers. 😉

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group