• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn - I thought it was me slowly getting better. 

Meanwhile, 99% of Niche owners (and no doubt owners of other grinders) just make coffee and the grey matter is directed towards other things in life.   (it is a user experience thread...)

Just got my Niche and am just in love with the haptics and looks and baffled by the nice, low humming sound it makes when idling. I switched from the Baratza Sette and Virtuoso and it’s like night and

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Rob666 said:

I think the increased static is entirely due to the weather. My weather station tells me the relative humidity is lower than it has been for many months. Even without the disk I'm getting much more static than usual.

Interesting. Thing is I wasn't getting any static before I installed the disk, now it's like this (aeropress grind this morning).

Not complaining by the way, more just intrigued as to why that would make a difference.

Really enjoying the clarity of flavour I'm getting from the disk so far. 

IMG_20200326_091917370.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bainbridge said:

Interesting. Thing is I wasn't getting any static before I installed the disk, now it's like this (aeropress grind this morning).

Not complaining by the way, more just intrigued as to why that would make a difference.

Really enjoying the clarity of flavour I'm getting from the disk so far. 

Is it the same coffee as before?

Looks like chaff, could be from a lighter roast and or coarser grind?

@Bainbridge

Could be many things but in my humble, unlikely to be the grinder. Give the beans a couple of droplets of water initially to see if that alleviates. Could be the beans are catching sunlight? Might just be dry atmospheric conditions

The advantage of being a Silver member....

I've been grinding both for espresso and filter regularly, swapping between beans all the time. This is a light roast (LSOL beans from Rave) and it is mostly chaff.

I just made a decaf for my wife and espresso roast straight out of the freezer didn't produce any static. Maybe the coffee grinds are less likely to fly about when cold?

A few years ago when I was grinding with a Lido hand grinder I'd get all kinds of clinging. I'd use a little misting bottle and spritz the beans. Maybe I'll see if I can find it again.

3 minutes ago, Bainbridge said:

I've been grinding both for espresso and filter regularly, swapping between beans all the time. This is a light roast (LSOL beans from Rave) and it is mostly chaff.

I just made a decaf for my wife and espresso roast straight out of the freezer didn't produce any static. Maybe the coffee grinds are less likely to fly about when cold?

Espresso roasts & darker roasts in general seem to make less visible chaff. Grinding finer also makes the chaff less visible. I guess also that naturals & processes that make the seam darker will affect the chaff you can see.

Hi Niche Users - 

just one question - yesterday after cleaning and recalibration I experienced a slight scratching noise while spinning for any grind settings downwards from 10. I wonder - because I really think that’s new - but can’t explain to myself what the reason for this change could be. 

Which grind settings are usable without burrs touching for your niche grinders?

Best Regards, 

Sebastian 

3 minutes ago, SebO said:

Hi Niche Users - 

just one question - yesterday after cleaning and recalibration I experienced a slight scratching noise while spinning for any grind settings downwards from 10. I wonder - because I really think that’s new - but can’t explain to myself what the reason for this change could be. 

Best Regards, 

Sebastian 

Did it stop making the noise when you backed off on the fine grind?

4 minutes ago, SebO said:

Hi Niche Users - 

To the point where the grind becomes Turkish is no problem and there is still some to go. I tried all this during testing. Effectively if you calibrate correctly I am pretty sure you can almost put the white dot at12 o clock without things touching (working from memory). The grinder must be perfectly clean though! You won't come anywhere close to running out of espresso range.

As for static some users are experiencing with the NFC disk, beause it narrows (significantly) the grind distribution, the latter portion of the grind is the same fineness as the initial portion. Without the disk the latter portion is coarser and I believe "sweeps" away the static and finer grinds and "sits" on them. It's also not an ever decreasing flow from high to low, but a more steady controlled flow which gives the grinds chance to "float" more. Hopefully that makes sense.

Nothing here...

10 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

To the point where the grind becomes Turkish is no problem and there is still some to go. I tried all this during testing. Effectively if you calibrate correctly I am pretty sure you can almost put the white dot at12 o clock without things touching (working from memory). The grinder must be perfectly clean though! You won't come anywhere close to running out of espresso range.

Interesting - just cleaned again - and it still starts to make scratchy noises at grind setting 10. 

i noticed that there is some movement of the funnel in the thread (it’s just Not That tight). I can make it work without scratchy noises down to 8 by adjusting the funnel in the thread horizontally .... but not in a persistent way. 

? 

seems like something is going wrong?

31 minutes ago, SebO said:

seems like something is going wrong?

The funnel and thread would have some movement as the thread is only designed to screw the funnel down and apply pressure, it doesn't centre the burr. 3 questions to try and help you.

1. When you cleaned it did you remove both burrs and the sweep arms then thoroughly clean with a toothbrush and tooth pick?

2. If you have a smartphone with recording capability can you record the sound?

3. Takes a close up photo of the burrs?

Nothing here...

47 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

The funnel and thread would have some movement as the thread is only designed to screw the funnel down and apply pressure, it doesn't centre the burr. 3 questions to try and help you.

1. When you cleaned it did you remove both burrs and the sweep arms then thoroughly clean with a toothbrush and tooth pick?

2. If you have a smartphone with recording capability can you record the sound?

3. Takes a close up photo of the burrs?

1. I removed every part and cleaned them all. Everything was first cleaned by brush and then with a microfibre tool. After that I did also clean the grinding Chamber to make sure that there isn't any build up on the material which could elevate the bottom burr and sweep arms. 

2 & 3. Of Course, 

Please find the pictures and Soundfile attached. 

First Sound File is with Scratching at grind level 9, Second is at grind level 12, without Scratching. 

IMG_8566 Kopie.jpg

IMG_9438 Kopie.jpg

Edited by SebO

I wound mine way past zero and no rubbing noise, so don't know. You could try a marker pen around bottom of inner burr....bring it to calibration point, back off to 10, run grinder and when you hear scraping, take burrs out and have a look. Also do same, have no scraping, take burrs out and have a look as a control.

Edited by DavecUK

Nothing here...

I can certainly add to the chorus of those impressed by the grinder.

I’ve been using a mazzer mini e for the last 5 or so years.  It’s served me well..

The thing I’ve found with the niche is how much more it allows me to explore a coffee.  I tend to buy coffee in 250g bags and with the mazzer it would take me some time with new beans to get to a point where I was satisfied with the flavour.  With the niche I seem to be able to get to a good ‘starting point’ with the coffee within two shots or so and after that it’s all fine tuning for fun.

If I were to characterize it in one phrase it is simply that it has made coffee making more fun.

• Thanks 1

just checked the bolt on my niche, it is still tight. What i did was applied couple of spins with a bahco mini ratchet against motor resistance.

But you mentioned you had niche since 1.5 years so i hope it being undone was just a one off.

On 30/03/2020 at 18:25, jonnycooper29 said:

Anyone else find the bolt going through the nfc and burr coming undone with the nfc fitted?

I just noticed after a week of use, I tightened the bolt the same as normal after owning the niche for 1.5 years!

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Thought I'd seen a post somewhere. Yes the bolt undoes its self. If you turn the machine on with no beans it'll happily spin and remain tight. Stick some beans in and it works itself loose. I was conscious not to over-tighten the bolt after install the disc but I'll give it mans dose over the weekend. You manage to sort it?