34 minutes ago, kennyboy993 said:

With the disk attached to my niche I can clearly see the gap between the edge of the disk and the chrome surround of the grinder is not uniformly even - i.e. as it spins it wobbles.

Before fitting the disk I could see this on the top bolt also though it’s easier to see now the disk is fitted.

It’s been explained before - though could someone remind me why this isn’t a problem and does not necessarily equate to a wobbly burr also?

No you're good Kenny. The burr goes over the shaft. The threaded hole in the shaft that the bolt goes into may not be exactly central. This doesn't matter because the bolt only holds down a key for the keyway in the top shaft. It doesn't centre the burr in any way or have any effect on it's centering. The movement of the bolt results from this slightly off-centre hole but, the inner burr is unaffected. The key in the keyway locks the burr and inner shaft together so they rotate as one....but it also does not centre the burr in any way.

Only the shaft centres the burr and the burr goes over the shaft.

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Super, thanks @davecuk, makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sage Bambino - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Ok folks today i made an aeropress with 18gr LSOL February. Niche setting 18 (nfc disk instaled) off the boil water used 30 sec bloom then filled up till mark 4 on aeropress. 2 mins brewing time. Then plunge down in about 30 seconds. Usual recipe for me. I am using fellow disk by the way so no inverted.

What i noticed taste wise it was much cleaner than before, i liked it. Very good to achieve this without using paper as even though i rinse the paper with hot water twice i still can taste it in the cup. That's why i am using metal filter. Plus it is less work :)

But interestingly i had more fines than ever at the bottom of the mug. How come?

• Like 1

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I have been using the Niche exclusively now for a week or so, over and above my Clima Pro. One thing I am finding, is the lack of need to adjust the grind setting between beans. I accept that the roast level of most of my stuff is similar, but different beans have different density. I suppose if I could remember, then I could make every drink a little better by adjusting but if I write settings down I lose the paper and if I memorise them they have gone after 4 seconds! Using a lever the bar pressure is lower which I suppose makes a difference to pour.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, DavecUK said:

Ok then it's definitely a pressure issue.

1. When you make the grind finer AFTER going coarser and the outer burr moving, is the ring quite easy to move and then does it get stiffer. e.g. do you think the top burr might be sticking (binding up). So when you go coarse the springs are not pushing it tight against the adjustment ring?

2. With the adjustment ring off and the top burr+springs in place , does it move up and down cleanly when you push it or does it stick a little as it comes up?

I looked at the photo of the springs and you seem to have 15 coil springs which I think are the stiffer versions...so it's not that. One other thing you can try if you have any is mother board screws for computers the little domed,ones. it will add a 1-1.5 mm space. Pop one in the top of each spring, be careful to not cross thread the top burr adjuster as now it will be a LOT stiffer and need a little pressure to engage.. If then this makes it work OK, it's definitely a pressure problem but perhaps something unusual.

I would think then you should contact Niche so they can take a look at the grinder.

1 : I don't think so. For example, at 45, sometimes the upper burr stops moving. Then, I use a chopstick to push on the red button so that I can set the burr at 20 for an expresso, and this move makes the upper burr move again. Going slower as it's described in the manuel (power on, then open the top, go 10 finer, close the top, power on...) produce the same result

2 : when the adjustment ring is off and I push the top burr, it seems to move up "as it shoud"

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I'll try to contact Niche and tell you what happens next. 

Edited by Guillaume85

1 hour ago, dfk41 said:

I have been using the Niche exclusively now for a week or so, over and above my Clima Pro. One thing I am finding, is the lack of need to adjust the grind setting between beans. I accept that the roast level of most of my stuff is similar, but different beans have different density. I suppose if I could remember, then I could make every drink a little better by adjusting but if I write settings down I lose the paper and if I memorise them they have gone after 4 seconds! Using a lever the bar pressure is lower which I suppose makes a difference to pour.

Me too. I roast all my beans pretty similar so I can be fairly confident the espresso will be nice. I have noticed that as the beans age I might have to tighten the grind up just a little. A half a tick will do it usually. 

Thanks for the official NFC disc @DavecUK 

I'm happy now, turns out the 3D printed version had started to come apart already due to the design, it was slightly different to the Niche one and the edges of the hole had slopes, this meant very thin sections.

Niche Zero, Lelit Bianca, Claris Ultra filter, Torr Tamper with NickNak handle, BT Wedge distribution tool, Felicita ARC scales, MildredM towels. Fully converted by Coffee Forums UK.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Nick1881 said:

Thanks for the official NFC disc @DavecUK

+1

Edited by jonners

I would like to ask, what is the dimensions from the bottom of the chute to the grounds tray, with the "coaster" removed? 

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

Niche NFC disk arrived this morning. Installed at as per the Niche instructions on YouTube and it's working great.

Weirdly I noticed a huge increase in static as soon as I ground with the NFC disk. It's sticking to the underside of the disk and the outside of the chute.

Anyone else had this?

1 hour ago, Bainbridge said:

Niche NFC disk arrived this morning. Installed at as per the Niche instructions on YouTube and it's working great.

Weirdly I noticed a huge increase in static as soon as I ground with the NFC disk. It's sticking to the underside of the disk and the outside of the chute.

Anyone else had this?

Didnt notice anything different with mine relating to static, obviously grinding finer and a better taste in the cup!

Sage DB - Niche - Torr 58.55 sharp edge - Osmio Zero 

My disk arrived this morning, ordered it the day it became available.

I wasn't at all expecting to be blown away but my honest reaction is 'wow'. The first two pulls with last month's Nicraguan bean from Dog and Hat (Missing Bean), which before I was getting nothing from other than a slightly unpleasant tobacco smoke flavour, is now giving a delicious hit of cherry.

I ended up using the same grind setting as before; I guess because haven taken the opportunity to clean the burrs I calibrated it finer (if that's possible?).

Not getting any noticeable increase in static.

I seem to be getting more grounds than I'd like to see stuck to the metal cup due to static. Even after tapping the counter before tipping it upside down into the portafilter. My NZ came with the disc so it isn't something new. Could it be the weather or the bean? I was getting very little previously.

Could be the weather.

Here in Bruges we're under the influence of a rather cold and dry eastern wind.

Dry air means more static.

• Like 1

DE1+ (1.1) || Niche || KINU M47,M68 || Aeropress || Aergrind || Kalita 185 || V60 || [email protected]

Behmor 1600 PLUS, modded with beanprobe

I think the increased static is entirely due to the weather. My weather station tells me the relative humidity is lower than it has been for many months. Even without the disk I'm getting much more static than usual.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

2 hours ago, martinierius said:

Could be the weather.

Here in Bruges we're under the influence of a rather cold and dry eastern wind.

Dry air means more static.

We've had some dry weather here in Somerset so that's probably it.

1 hour ago, Rob666 said:

I think the increased static is entirely due to the weather. My weather station tells me the relative humidity is lower than it has been for many months. Even without the disk I'm getting much more static than usual.

I guess it really couldn't be anything else. The only thing that has changed is the weather.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stanic said:

I would like to ask, what is the dimensions from the bottom of the chute to the grounds tray, with the "coaster" removed? 

@DavecUK? :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

100mm at the back, 104mm at the front as chute is not straight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero White | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr  | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

Thanks! 

14 hours ago, Rob666 said:

Interesting. Thing is I wasn't getting any static before I installed the disk, now it's like this (aeropress grind this morning).

Not complaining by the way, more just intrigued as to why that would make a difference.

Really enjoying the clarity of flavour I'm getting from the disk so far. 

IMG_20200326_091917370.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bainbridge said:

Interesting. Thing is I wasn't getting any static before I installed the disk, now it's like this (aeropress grind this morning).

Not complaining by the way, more just intrigued as to why that would make a difference.

Really enjoying the clarity of flavour I'm getting from the disk so far. 

Is it the same coffee as before?

Looks like chaff, could be from a lighter roast and or coarser grind?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

@Bainbridge

Could be many things but in my humble, unlikely to be the grinder. Give the beans a couple of droplets of water initially to see if that alleviates. Could be the beans are catching sunlight? Might just be dry atmospheric conditions

I've been grinding both for espresso and filter regularly, swapping between beans all the time. This is a light roast (LSOL beans from Rave) and it is mostly chaff.

I just made a decaf for my wife and espresso roast straight out of the freezer didn't produce any static. Maybe the coffee grinds are less likely to fly about when cold?

A few years ago when I was grinding with a Lido hand grinder I'd get all kinds of clinging. I'd use a little misting bottle and spritz the beans. Maybe I'll see if I can find it again.