Sign in to follow this  
Magicdude

Hello

Hi people,

After loving nice coffee for years I've finally decided to try and make some myself. To which ends I have purchased a Delonghi KG79 grinder and a Sage Duo Temp Pro. I look forward to hassling you all for advice after my many balls ups on my coffee journey, so I thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome. sage machines have their own sub-forum, so there's plenty of info there as a starting point:)

ACS Vesuvius / Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux / Niche Zero Black Eureka Zenith 65E / Rancilio Rocky 2015 / Gene Cafe CBR-101 Osmio Zero Black Torr goldfinger 58.55 sharp edge 

The only problem with the Delonghi grinder you mentioned is it is unlikely to grind fine enough for you to use the unpressurised baskets on the DTP. You can use the pressurised ones but it will affect the taste. Sorry to stick a spoke in the works straight away! I would start saving for an espresso capable grinder as you will ultimately get a better coffee.

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Great machine the DTP, I’m a big fan of them.

It’s right though, to get the best from your coffee you may need to upgrade the grinder. No rush though. Get used to your set up first and then go from there

Enjoy the journey

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

Hey @Magicdude, I've had the Delonghi KG79 for a few years now and I did this hack to make a finer grind. It might interest you if you don't mind voiding your warranty. I'm on the look out for a new grinder now to go with my new Sage DTP but this will see me through for another bit while I search for a good deal.

i did the initial two turns he recommended first but then opted for a 3rd turn and it makes a huge difference.

Hi all,

I’ve just picked up a Sage DTP and a De’Longhi KG79 and happened to stumble upon this old thread. I’ve so far managed to choke the machine up several times using the finest settings on the KG79 and was getting nothing through at all until I altered the grind so I’m now 4 clicks from the finest setting. I’m  now getting a double shot in approx 30 secs, weighing 18g in and 36g out and tastes pretty good. Just can’t understand why it choked so easily on the finer settings given that everything I’ve read n the KG79 is that the grind won’t be fine enough!?