oracleuser

Oracle Touch - problems with single cup

Currently waiting for youtube to upload (I live in the middle of nowhere so at best I get 1Mb upload and 5Mb download) but yes, if I shake the then the puck will fall out, looks very similar in terms of effort to yours.

[video=youtube_share;bx8L91UQbO0]

Any update?

Had falsely ordered an 58m tamper instead of 58,5...but the right should arrive today

Edited by oracleuser

Used machine: Oracle Touch

First result using the internal oracle grinder and an external (stamp) tamper:

Same as using the internal tamper

So it's a problem of the grind or the brewing

Will now try with the smart grinder

First result using the internal oracle grinder and an external (stamp) tamper:

Same as using the internal tamper

So it's a problem of the grind or the brewing

Will now try with the smart grinder

Second experiment:

Using the smart grinder with external tamper: Same! No repeatable shots

@oracleuser

Pre ground coffee will be worse.. it goes stale within hours of opening if it is not already stale ..

Coffee beans bought without a roast date on are generally stale . ( Not a use by date )

On the rare occasion I have bought from a supermarket , you have to adjust the grind daily or quicker.

People on this thread have tried to advise you of this .. You are making all this harder for yourself ..

Sage tell you on their videos and in the booklet to use freshly roasted coffee ..

The oracle I had was making really good coffee within hours of getting it home .. Very easy to dial in using freshly roasted coffee..

The tamping mechanism on the machine was on mine very reliable and takes that out of the equation .

@oracleuser

Pre ground coffee will be worse.. it goes stale within hours of opening if it is not already stale ..

Coffee beans bought without a roast date on are generally stale . ( Not a use by date )

On the rare occasion I have bought from a supermarket , you have to adjust the grind daily or quicker.

People on this thread have tried to advise you of this .. You are making all this harder for yourself ..

Sage tell you on their videos and in the booklet to use freshly roasted coffee ..

The oracle I had was making really good coffee within hours of getting it home .. Very easy to dial in using freshly roasted coffee..

The tamping mechanism on the machine was on mine very reliable and takes that out of the equation .

Premium beans will arrive monday ... so i will give them also a try and see what happens ;)

OK...so two things

1) You guys were right supermarket beans are shit ... premium beans taste much much much bettere

2) Problem doesn't seem to be fixed....still experimenting but...shot one: 60 ml, shot two: 70ml, shot three: 80ml.............will have to send the machine in for replacement

Edited by oracleuser

That does sound off - bear in mind that the grind, tamp and water are all fixed variables. Now that you have some decent beans then you've tried everything. Would be really interested to hear what gets fixed when you get it back from Sage.

Hope you get it sorted soon - almost a year now and probably close to 1000 shots and other than dialling it in, no duff ones so they are very capable machines (which I'd expect for the price!)

OK...so two things

1) You guys were right supermarket beans are shit ... premium beans taste much much much bettere

2) Problem doesn't seem to be fixed....still experimenting but...shot one: 60 ml, shot two: 70ml, shot three: 80ml.............will have to send the machine in for replacement

Have you had the white gloves service? It may be an easy way to get someone to have a look at it in situ.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Have you had the white gloves service? It may be an easy way to get someone to have a look at it in situ.

What is white gloves service? I am in Germany btw.

Not sure but did hear the white glove service does not come with the Touch version.

Ron 

Would be really interested to hear what gets fixed when you get it back from Sage.

Sadly that won't happen because i get a direct replacement in the next days from the shop

But so it's some weeks faster ;)

Edited by oracleuser

Fingers crossed the replacement doesn't suffer from the same problem (or any for that matter).

Laissez les bons temps rouler

OK...got a brand new machine..and i am not sure if the problem is fixed....

I could reproduce some shots but then some got wild... i am trying out if it has to do with the fill hight in the bean container of the grinder

Describe 'got wild' - do you mean massively different volumes or taste?

When I had the white glove service with my Oracle (non-touch) they couldn't get it to produce consistent shots and blamed my beans - square mile so not rubbish - as they had been frozen. However their own beans that they supply had the same issue... He eventually got it to make a couple of shots back to back that were decent so we left it at that. No sooner had they left did it start messing around again and I was getting massively different volumes produced without making any changes. Unfortunately I just don't think Oracles are very good, they are over complicated and have too much to go wrong. I'd get a refund if I were you and buy yourself a good seperate set up.

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Describe 'got wild' - do you mean massively different volumes or taste?

volume...taste is good with good beans

OK...got a brand new machine..and i am not sure if the problem is fixed....

I could reproduce some shots but then some got wild... i am trying out if it has to do with the fill hight in the bean container of the grinder

Nope, should be pretty much the same unless you have so few beans that it "popcorns" around..

you really don't seem to have much luck (sad face) - If the coffee tastes good and the auto milk wand works for you then stick with it. Otherwise...

FWIW - other than when I weighed the outputs and inputs for you, I never bother - The purpose of a good machine is to make good coffee! It's the same problem that some folks have with digital cameras - they spend all their time pixel-peeping that they never realise that they are looking at a great photo.

....Just to check (sorry!)

You are using non-supermarket beans?

You have the grind set to about 27?

You are pulling an espresso from the default button (25sec)?

Given that all the variables are essentially fixed (flow, dose, grind) I just can't understand why you don't have consistency. To have the same experience across two machines either means that mine is a fluke because it works ok or there is something that we haven't considered..

Some interesting new development:

I got new (roast date 4 weeks ago) beans.

Result:

In the first two days after opening the package i could produce 7 constant results (and only one faulty) only varying about 2-3g on a double shot which is very good i think.

But now on day three it seems to get wild again. Getting more output (15%) and getting a varying of up to 15g

Any interpretation on this?

I use an older Oracle at home. It does have variances to it.

I use scales to weight out my shot and stop by weight. I taste and enjoy, if the variance in taste is too much , I adjust the grind.

I suspect the variances you see are a result of the auto dosing and tamping , some channeling , and the way it stop as shot ( is it flow meter or not i don't know ) . I think you going to have to accept this or get a different system to make coffee with.

There are alot of great things but the oracle, it steams milk really well, it makes, coffee for alot of people really simple .

The grinder is awful, it struggles wto get a decent espresso with any kind of specialty coffee that isn't what i suppose people would call "medium roasted"

If you are going to get hung up on wanting a machine that will do accurate volumetrics then go buy a 2 group linea or something , the oracle is not the answer.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc