_shakeyjake_

Any Jam/jelly makers? Mine did not set!

I used Jam sugar when making blackberry jam recently. Sainsbury's sell 2 kinds for fruits with lower/higher pectin content.

Thread here https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcoffeeforums%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D46151&share_tid=46151&share_fid=6813&share_type=t

As others have mentioned do a wrinkle test at some point. I put a saucer in the freezer whilst boiling the jam, then when ready I put a small blob on the cold plate to cool it quickly. Then tried to push the blob with a spoon....the surface wrinkled up indicating it was ready.

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

My It's like a scene from Macbeth in my kitchen when my better half makes jam, and she heats it for a long long time. Then as Jony describes, does the wrinkle test...if I pass, then it's time for the jam. Use a cold plate.

I only ever make marmalade myself - the clue in that post is a cold plate - gives an idea what it will be like when it cools and sets.

;) Marmalade - I cheat now when I bother by buying a kit and reducing the amount of sugar they suggest. Easier to do too but my wife isn't too keen on the storage space used in the fridge.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

I am surprised you don’t make it from scratch @ajohn is there any reason why?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Don't set him off M! HaHa

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I didn’t even know you can buy kits!

It’s like pancake batter kits, never seen the point in them. Flour eggs and milk, all cupboard fridge items!

Madness.

ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

Some co op shops sold and maybe still sell thick cut saville oranges in a can. Easiest way to get hold of them and their particular taste. Doesn't cost much either.

:) Actually being a bit dismayed by some marmalade I bought from Lidl that was thick cut and had the right sort of colour I started thinking about a trip to our localish large co op store hoping they still sell it. ;) My wife now has a much larger fridge. We still have the jars somewhere and can probably get new rubber seals if needed.

The great buying public don't seem to like marmalade with a strong taste any more. Lidl are inclined to sell some things not saturated with sugar but not marmalade by the taste of it. I came across some low sugar stuff that was good but it came from a catering supplier so not easy to get. Sugar crops up all over the place these days. I've even tasted it in bread. ;) Maybe I shouldn't have given it up 25 years or so ago. People can get used to any amount of it.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

When I could eat such things, I absolutely loved Marmalade on Toast. Toast has to be cold and buttered so the butter doesn't melt into the toast (so important), then the Marmalade thinly spread over the butter. Add on cup of tea and I was in heaven. Of course now I am dieting and changing my diet, these simple pleasures are no more :(

As for jam...don't like it and never eat it.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

When I could eat such things, I absolutely loved Marmalade on Toast. Toast has to be cold and buttered so the butter doesn't melt into the toast (so important), then the Marmalade thinly spread over the butter. Add on cup of tea and I was in heaven. Of course now I am dieting and changing my diet, these simple pleasures are no more :(

But what could be nicer than a crunchy, sweet apple with its own natural sugar!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

We found a spreadable butter from Lidl that didn't send the toast soggy. :( Then they stopped selling it. :( Then we found Danpak doesn't either within limits. Less butter milk though. All down to ever increasing amounts of water in "bread spreads". Just 10% in the Danpak but ?? Vita Dore or some name like that was better.

;) Afraid I put stacks of marmalade on and sometimes drink MM with it or an hour or so after the MM with a mug of tea. ;) One slice with it on and one without.

Jam - depends how sharp it is.

If your dieting some professional help might be a good idea. Weight watchers used to be good when my wife used them. It's not a matter of stopping eating this and that more a case of control despite what many TV dietitians might say about this being good bad etc. i matched my wife's intake when she used them despite the fact that they would allow me a lot more - bad idea as I found later.

John

-

If your dieting some professional help might be a good idea. Weight watchers used to be good when my wife used them. It's not a matter of stopping eating this and that more a case of control despite what many TV dietitians might say about this being good bad etc. i matched my wife's intake when she used them despite the fact that they would allow me a lot more - bad idea as I found later.

John

-

I am afraid I had a lot of weight to lose and need to keep it off, which required a radical overhaul of my diet, and not calorie counting. So far I have lost 120 lbs of weight and only have another 28 lbs or so to go. I don't count calories, I just changed what I eat to far more healthy options. It was something I always knew how to do, but I guess didn't have the motivation to do until last Christmas. I have a degree in Human Biology and was really quite good at the subject, so I know exactly what causes us to put on weight and how to prevent it. Much of what is in the textbooks about diet is wrong as is the very limited training the average GP receives.

Here is one little bit of nonsense for you, you may have heard that radio add saying that "Obesity causes diabetes"...well that's not really true at all, in fact a big twisting of the facts, because they base their decision about whether you have type 2 diabetes when really it's already happening. It's sort of like jumping off a tall building, your not dead till you hit the bottom, but it's a moot point really. It would be true to say "Diabetes causes obesity, long before before it's really obvious you have diabetes". In that little gem hides the real reason for obesity and the epidemic within modern societies at the moment. All the time they think obesity causes diabetes, it prevents them from realising what's really happening. Sadly there are 2 major groups who do know the truth....Big Food and Big Pharma, however too much of their profits are tied up in getting as many people Obese/Diabetic as possible. It's why Heinz bought weight watchers years ago.

Ancel keys and his SCS has a lot to answer for, especially as he fiddled the results!

Made some raspberry jam here today @_shakeyjake_ 900g rasps and the same of sugar plus 3 big lemons. Really bubbling away after about 10 minutes: [video=youtube_share;Zx2X8Nzn0Ts]https://youtu.be/Zx2X8Nzn0Ts[/video]

Another 5 minutes of that and I did a test, not quite done but it was fine after another 3 or 4 minutes:

[video=youtube_share;eRr6IfJKOBI]

Tried to show how the surface wrinkles when it cools very slightly after a minute or so with the heat off:

[video=youtube_share;9IwdDWt5lCw]

Filling the jars - I tried to get rid of that bubble but couldn't! When I put the camera down I knocked the jar on the board before tightening the lid ;)

[video=youtube_share;lmj9eZtIliM]

Thanks @MildredM for the videos! Really handy to see. I don't think mine really went that ferocious with the boil so thats good to see. I can see what you mean about the wrinkling too.

ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

We've actually got some of the blackberries left in the freezer so might give it another go!

Blackberry jam is good to make, pretty similar to rasp jam! Gentle simmer to cook them, add juice from 3 or 4 juicy lemons, add sugar with the heat really low until it has dissolved then up to a rolling boil. You should feel it thicken the same way as raspberry jam does then you can start testing for a set ;)

Keep us updated! By January you will be making marmalade!!

Blackberry jam is good to make, pretty similar to rasp jam! Gentle simmer to cook them, add juice from 3 or 4 juicy lemons, add sugar with the heat really low until it has dissolved then up to a rolling boil. You should feel it thicken the same way as raspberry jam does then you can start testing for a set ;)

Keep us updated! By January you will be making marmalade!!

Ooh not sure about marmalade, never been a fan of it. Though could do it as Christmas gifts...

Ooh not sure about marmalade, never been a fan of it. Though could do it as Christmas gifts...

Unless you totally dislike the taste of oranges you may change you mind when you make it yourself, it’s a totally different kettle of fish to the bought stuff!

And if you use a pressure cooker to cook the chopped peel you will achieve the most intense orange flavour.

Strietman CT1, DE1PRO, EG-1 v2, HG-1, Kinu M47, Baratza Vario brew, Lido E, RB 58.5, Reneka Micro Sieve, VST

I would put them in the pan with the lid on, heat on REALLY low and allow to slowly defrost then turn up the heat to cook through. They won’t take long to defrost.

I would put them in the pan with the lid on, heat on REALLY low and allow to slowly defrost then turn up the heat to cook through. They won’t take long to defrost.

Ah cool. Might give that a go this evening. I think I’ve got about 1kg maybe a little less of blackberries. Would the juice of 3 or 4 lemons work for that quantity?

Ah cool. Might give that a go this evening. I think I’ve got about 1kg maybe a little less of blackberries. Would the juice of 3 or 4 lemons work for that quantity?

Yes! Go for 3 if they are decent/juicy ;)