_shakeyjake_

Any Jam/jelly makers? Mine did not set!

This off topic area seems to be handy for this kinda stuff..

Any Jam and jelly makers around. Went to all the effort over the weekend and it didn’t set!

I made jelly with around 1.5 pints of strained juice (made from 1.3kg blackberries and 2 large cooking apples plus lemon juice).

From the recipe I followed it said 1lb of sugar to 1pint of juice. So used preserving sugar (as recipe recommended) got it up to jam temp in around 20 mins (105°C/220°F). Made sure sugar had dissolved before increasing heat to boil/simmer.

Damn thing didn’t set! Weirdly enough, the remnants in the pan did seem to, the stuff in the jar is thick but not set.

Any ideas or pointers. Bit disheartening for a first try haha

I was a bit unclear on the setting point and for how long it needed to stay at that magic 105°C. Or whether not enough pectin containing fruit (apples).

ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

I think the clue is in the fact it set in the maslin pan, probably didn't heat for long enough....did it do OK on the winkle test?

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

I think the clue is in the fact it set in the maslin pan, probably didn't heat for long enough....did it do OK on the winkle test?

I see. Is there any general rule of thumb for how long to heat at 105°C to make sure it will set? All the recipes seemed to be so vague on the subject.

ISOMAC Millenium | Eureka Mignon MkII | Gaggia Classic with PID and other mods (retired) | Iberital MC2 auto (retired)

Did not do wrinkle test! What is that?!

Really, if it's ready put some on a plate and push it and it should wrinkle I think

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Right, that sounds pretty straightforward. Should have done that...

Well, it still tasted pretty good, if being a little runny.

Will have to try the wrinkle test next time.

To get jam to set, you must have pectin. Some fruits have plenty some very little. You don't say what type of fruit you used. We made a shedload of damson jam recently. Damons have plenty of pectin so we only needed to add granulated sugar. If you're not sure about the pectin content of your chosen fruit, it's best to use a jam sugar as it has pectin added - you'll find it in your local supermarket.

Jam needs to be heated to a rolling boil for several minutes depending on type of fruit and/or recipe. To test whether you've hit setting point, put a few saucers in the freezer and get them really cold. When you think the jam/jelly is nearly there, put a small amount of a very chilled saucer. After it cools, you should see a skin develop together with a jelly consistency. From there, it's up to you what level of set you want - light consistency through to a pretty hard set being achieved by extending the period of rolling boil.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

You can always re boil it. When up to temp (get a thermometer handy) it needs to keep at that rolling boil for a good 10 minutes or more, depending on the recipe. Don't stir, but don't let it burn in the bottom of the pan. Then, when you gently push the surface you should see the top kind of wrinkle slightly (take off heat and allow bubbles to subside for this part). Or, as said above, drop a dab into a cold saucer, coole a bit then push with a finger. If it wrinkles, it will set.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

To get jam to set, you must have pectin. Some fruits have plenty some very little. You don't say what type of fruit you used. We made a shedload of damson jam recently. Damons have plenty of pectin so we only needed to add granulated sugar. If you're not sure about the pectin content of your chosen fruit, it's best to use a jam sugar as it has pectin added - you'll find it in your local supermarket.

Jam needs to be heated to a rolling boil for several minutes depending on type of fruit and/or recipe. To test whether you've hit setting point, put a few saucers in the freezer and get them really cold. When you think the jam/jelly is nearly there, put a small amount of a very chilled saucer. After it cools, you should see a skin develop together with a jelly consistency. From there, it's up to you what level of set you want - light consistency through to a pretty hard set being achieved by extending the period of rolling boil.

Thanks for the info

And I did say! Right at the top. Blackberries and apples. Blackberrys were 1.3KG and recipe suggested 2 cooking apples. I think it also said lemon juice but can’t remember quantity. Should I have used more apples for pectin content?

I also bought preserving sugar, is that different to Jam Sugar? Couldn’t find anything other than that in local super market.

You can always re boil it. When up to temp (get a thermometer handy) it needs to keep at that rolling boil for a good 10 minutes or more, depending on the recipe. Don't stir, but don't let it burn in the bottom of the pan. Then, when you gently push the surface you should see the top kind of wrinkle slightly (take off heat and allow bubbles to subside for this part). Or, as said above, drop a dab into a cold saucer, coole a bit then push with a finger. If it wrinkles, it will set.

Might try reboiling. Nothing to loose at this point. Thanks.

Or use lemon juice. I use 4 lemons per kilo of rasps when I do raspberry jam ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

My It's like a scene from Macbeth in my kitchen when my better half makes jam, and she heats it for a long long time. Then as Jony describes, does the wrinkle test...if I pass, then it's time for the jam. Use a cold plate.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Might try reboiling. Nothing to loose at this point. Thanks.

No! Don’t overdo it, try adding the juice from a couple of lemons maybe.

No! Don’t overdo it, try adding the juice from a couple of lemons maybe.

OK.

If I add lemon juice do i need to have it on heat or just mix some in?

Apologies:) Preserving sugar isn't the same as jam sugar - latter has pectin in it. Fruit you are using has plenty of natural pectins in them so you just have to be patient during rolling boil. If you don't have a jam making pan, it's best to stick to smaller quantities as the jam spits quite a bit during rolling boil and can cover your cooker/hob.

OK.

You have to get the mix to a rolling boil for the jam to set. Check out any jam recipe or have a look on Youtube.

Apologies:) Preserving sugar isn't the same as jam sugar - latter has pectin in it. Fruit you are using has plenty of natural pectins in them so you just have to be patient during rolling boil. If you don't have a jam making pan, it's best to stick to smaller quantities as the jam spits quite a bit during rolling boil and can cover your cooker/hob.

I did wonder about that sugar. I guess a bit of a duff recipe. All learning tho.

OK.

Add it then boil it up.

Making your own jam is worth it, taste-wise. Stick with it, you'll get there.

You could always eat it as is poured over some pancakes & icecream.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

They say every day is a school day. That's one thing today, and then I was going to ask about cleaning an iron (clothes iron) but youtube meant I learned to use a paracetamol caplet to do the job. So, it's at least two things.

Was this your first go at jam making, @_shakeyjake_ ? If so then it was probably quite a difficult recipe to get the best result from.

One way to get started is to do an easy jam such as raspberry. I buy them when they are reduced and make the jam that same day. A kilo of rasps, simmered just until soft in a large heavy bottom pan, heating and cooking gently takes maybe 10 minutes - don't boil, just simmer and stir a few times. Heat off, add 1kg sugar, granulated is fine, and the juice from 4 good lemons. Stir until the sugar has fully disolved then start heating, stirring now and then. Once boiling, the stage where you need to keep a keen eye on it otherwise it will climb out the pan, adjusting the heat up and down slightly as necessary to keep it boiling well. Stir now and then, you will start to feel it thicken after around 10 minutes. When you feel it thicken turn the heat off to allow the bubbles to subside, push across the surface and you will see the top kind of wrinkle up slightly - or drop a drop onto a cold lid or saucer and give it a few seconds to cool then push with your finger, it is wrinkles it will set. If it doesn't then heat on again for 5 minutes, boiling rapidly, then test once again.

If it is going to set then ladle it straight into your clean, warmed jars, up to about 6mm from the top, and get the lids on immediately. Screw top jam lids don't need anything else. If you are using a disc of plastic and rubber band then you need a disc of greaseproof type paper directly on top of the jam, to do it correctly.

Raspberry jam is the only jam I make these days (for Ian, I can't stand all that sugar)! Marmalade (Seville oranges due in January) is good to make too and home-made marmalade is way better than anything you can buy!

Was this your first go at jam making, @_shakeyjake_ ? If so then it was probably quite a difficult recipe to get the best result from.

One way to get started is to do an easy jam such as raspberry. I buy them when they are reduced and make the jam that same day. A kilo of rasps, simmered just until soft in a large heavy bottom pan, heating and cooking gently takes maybe 10 minutes - don't boil, just simmer and stir a few times. Heat off, add 1kg sugar, granulated is fine, and the juice from 4 good lemons. Stir until the sugar has fully disolved then start heating, stirring now and then. Once boiling, the stage where you need to keep a keen eye on it otherwise it will climb out the pan, adjusting the heat up and down slightly as necessary to keep it boiling well. Stir now and then, you will start to feel it thicken after around 10 minutes. When you feel it thicken turn the heat off to allow the bubbles to subside, push across the surface and you will see the top kind of wrinkle up slightly - or drop a drop onto a cold lid or saucer and give it a few seconds to cool then push with your finger, it is wrinkles it will set. If it doesn't then heat on again for 5 minutes, boiling rapidly, then test once again.

If it is going to set then ladle it straight into your clean, warmed jars, up to about 6mm from the top, and get the lids on immediately. Screw top jam lids don't need anything else. If you are using a disc of plastic and rubber band then you need a disc of greaseproof type paper directly on top of the jam, to do it correctly.

Raspberry jam is the only jam I make these days (for Ian, I can't stand all that sugar)! Marmalade (Seville oranges due in January) is good to make too and home-made marmalade is way better than anything you can buy!

Yes, first time making it. Thanks for the advice! Definitely going to try that see how I go. I’ll just have these as they are I think. Call them sauce instead of jam!