MildredM

CFUK Latte Art Challenge 2018

44141495734_a5019e5839_b.jpg

Roll up! Roll up! Welcome to the Grand Opening of the CFUK Latte Art Challenge 2018. Prepare to be truly amazed, dazzled and astounded by the multitudinous array of creative talents displayed by the great pourers of our forum!

Please find a summary of the draws, links to the matches and polls, and the results here.

Before we go any further though we'd like to say thank you @joey24dirt for kindly donating one of his amazing reclaimed skateboard tampers* to be awarded to the winner. Thanks to @Glenn, CFUK Forum owner, for giving the go ahead and support for the competition. Thank you to Ian for offering one of his hand whittled wooden spoons to the first competitor to get bombed out in the first round. Thank you to Jony for his donation of £10** to be awarded to the winner to buy a bag of beans of their choosing. There are a couple of CFUK LAC 2018 Finalist bar towels up for grabs too! Thanks to everyone for following the challenge and supporting the competitors - we are looking forward to lots of banter along the way! And of course, thank you to all the participants! It may seem a daunting prospect but don’t worry, enjoy the experience! And finally thanks to @Snakehips for the much coveted Max Bygraves Cup for the duffest tulip in the semi finals and also his entertaining entertainments!

On with the show! After countless months spent frothing, pouring, YouTubing and honing their skills our intrepid competitors are poised, chomping at the bit and ready to pour their hearts (rosettas or tulips) out.

This year’s competitors are:

@mmmatron

@joey24dirt

@Snakehips

@nightslayer

@arellim

@MrShades

@Hasi

@christos_geo

@Badgerman

@prankard

@tobyjrn6

@Diggy87

@jen1979

@Mattius2

@cloughy

@Mrboots2u

They are going to be shaken, stirred and well and truly mixed up and the resulting randomised first round draw will be announced here at 7pm tonight (Sunday, 23rd September).

First round to be concluded by midnight Sunday, September 30th.

Please contact your opponent via the forum message service asap to agree a mutually convenient time and date for you to compete simultaneously for a maximum time of 30 minutes.

One competitor of each pairing to advise @MildredM on this thread of the agreed date and start time. I will then set up a fresh thread for each individual pairing in readiness for photos of shots, banter, cheering, heckling and voting.

5 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR PRE ARRANGED START TIME and via your individual thread you will be advised of your MAGIC WORD/S.

You will have 30 minutes, starting from your mutually agreed time, to upload an image of your best latte art pour (free pour, heart, rosetta or whatever you decided upon). The magic word/s must be written on a piece of paper and be clearly visible in the photo.

Following completion, a poll will be created to enable voting. Forum members are invited to vote for their preferred pour - strictly one vote per member. The competitor attracting the most votes will progress to round two and once again a randomised draw will take place to determine who plays who.

While we wait for the draw to take place here is the one, the only, @Snakehips Producktions with his latest koffaoke offering. Ladies and gentlemen let’s hear it for 'Show Me The Way To Steam Foam', the latte art competitor's lament!

[video=youtube_share;UZm4jhsvkaU]

*Winner to pay p&p of £8 RM Special Delivery. Further costs will be incurred if shipping to Europe or beyond.

** Paid via PayPal.

1st Round Draw:

christos_geo v mmmatron

nightslayer v MrShades

Mrboots2u v cloughy

Hasi v arellim

tobyjrn6 v Snakehips

Mattius2 v Badgerman

jen1979 v Diggy87

prankard v joey24dirt

Quarter Final Draw:

Joey24dirt v tobyjrn6

nightslayer v mmmatron

Hasi v Mrboots2u

Mattius2 v Diggy87

Semi Final Draw:

Joey24dirt v Hasi

mmmatrnn v Diggy87

Grand Final Draw:

Just a reminder of the link to that summary thread here :)

Edited by MildredM
  • Thanks 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Oh my, we are in for a treat!!

Huge huge huge thanks and appreciation to @MildredM for running the show

May the best latte artist win :)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

This is going to be so much fun.

I love love love the opening lament. It’s firmly stuck in me head now 🤙

Also kicking off proceedings on my birthday is a great omen

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Awww! Happy Birthday @joey24dirt :) :)

We will raise our :coffee: :coffee:to you tonight!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Firstly; thank you to everyone involved. If coffee can't be fun then what's the point I say!

Is there a standard angle for the photo? Aeirel view? With naked person in background? Side on, etc etc?

Also, any size and shape of cup required?

Thanks

Andy

Machine: Londinium L1

Grinder: EK43LE

Beans: Baristrocracy Ethiopian

Instagram: andrewrellim

Firstly; thank you to everyone involved. If coffee can't be fun then what's the point I say!

Is there a standard angle for the photo? Aeirel view? With naked person in background? Side on, etc etc?

Also, any size and shape of cup required?

Thanks

Andy

Regular coffee cups, I would say, size up to you. The photo obviously needs to show the pour/art/top splodge but need not be directly over the top. No naked anythings, please :)

Edited by MildredM

The randomiser has done its business magnificently!

Here is the draw for the 2018 LAC 1st Round:

christos_geo v mmmatron

nightslayer v MrShades

Mrboots2u v cloughy

Hasi v arellim

tobyjrn6 v Snakehips

Mattius2 v Badgerman

jen1979 v Diggy87

prankard v joey24dirt

44868243611_89b9b39a69_z.jpg

The randomiser has done its business magnificently!

Here is the draw for the 2018 LAC 1st Round:

christos_geo v mmmatron

nightslayer v MrShades

Mrboots2u v cloughy

Hasi v arellim

tobyjrn6 v Snakehips

Mattius2 v Badgerman

jen1979 v Diggy87

prankard v joey24dirt

44868243611_89b9b39a69_z.jpg

woo hoo - let the games begin!

PM sent for my round

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

PM sent to opp.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

btw. about the design: are we being given instructions what to do or who comes up with the call?

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

No naked anythings, please :)
Not even a cheeky portafilter in the background?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

btw. about the design: are we being given instructions what to do or who comes up with the call?

Here we go - free pour, heart, rosetta or whatever you decide upon ;)

PM sent to opp.

Haha hasi ! The subject for my pm was “round 1 .... fight”

Great minds and all that...

@SkateReclaimCreate

Here we go - free pour, heart, rosetta or whatever you decide upon ;)
That's gonna throw some strategy into the mix. Do you do difficult stuff in the first round in order to progress or save it for the later rounds?

Or are the pairings expected to agree on a design to attempt so we can vote on a like for like performance?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I see what you’re saying. I’d say just agree round per round. If both parties are comfortable with a particular design then go for whoever does it best. If not then it’s a free for all I suppose

@SkateReclaimCreate

That's gonna throw some strategy into the mix. Do you do difficult stuff in the first round in order to progress or save it for the later rounds?

Or are the pairings expected to agree on a design to attempt so we can vote on a like for like performance?

I think you are over thinking this...... I’m just aiming for white stuff on brown !

Londinium - R, Monolith MC3, Two Jugs, One TempTag, Nine Assorted And Much Sought After MildredM Bar Towels

I think you are over thinking this...... I’m just aiming for white stuff on brown !

Yes! That's the spirit!

Each contestant can produce whatever they wish and the voters will vote on the merits of that pour, I expect.

@MildredM

Myself and Prankard are booked in. This Thursday at 08.30pm. We have agreed to both pour tulips so hopefully this will be easier to judge.

Really excited to get going now 🤙🤙

@SkateReclaimCreate

@MildredM

Myself and Prankard are booked in. This Thursday at 08.30pm. We have agreed to both pour tulips so hopefully this will be easier to judge.

Really excited to get going now 酪酪

Can confirm!

Rancilio Silvia V3 with DIY PID | Mazzer SJ

Can confirm!

uh-oh, incoming...

oh them good old times!

says Hasi.

Thank you @joey24dirt and @prankard. I will set your thread up shortly!

Keep them coming everyone :)

christos_geo v mmmatron

nightslayer v MrShades

Mrboots2u v cloughy

Hasi v arellim

tobyjrn6 v Snakehips

Mattius2 v Badgerman

jen1979 v Diggy87

prankard v joey24dirt - Thursday 27.9.18 8.30pm

Edited by MildredM