Sign in to follow this  
genecaffe

Gene Caffè, the temperature rises too slowly

Finalmente il riscaldatore a 230V è arrivato, i tempi e le temperature corrispondono alla maggior parte dei profili che ho letto.

Le crepe sono chiare e molte, a differenza di prima ne ho sentite poche e isolate,

la pula è consistente ma soprattutto i miei chicchi tostati non hanno più scaglie di pula non staccate.

Finalmente ora posso dire di avere un torrefattore.

Una roba robusta per mia moglie (a lei piacciono nel cappuccino)

e un lotto di 282 grammi di Ethiopia Sidamo 2 ...

in circa 15 minuti ho chiuso l'arrosto, toccando tutte le temperature dei vari profili letti,

il crack era come colpi di mitragliatrice, uno spettacolo,

penso che da questo momento sia iniziata la svolta, tutto ciò di cui ho bisogno ora è la pratica.

I had problems with my genecafe getting up to high temperatures. On my latest batches have taken to using 200g of green beans and that has changed the characteristics of the roasting. Getting to much higher temperatures that I can relate to the roast profiles in DaveC's manual. Looks like in my case running with lower volumes of beans means it works as expected. I have one more change to make which involves opening it up again and using heat proof sealant on the temp probe housing.

Vesuvius, Mazzer Major Doserless, Genecafe, Push Tamper,Motta Leveller, Cheap scales

I had problems with my genecafe getting up to high temperatures. On my latest batches have taken to using 200g of green beans and that has changed the characteristics of the roasting. Getting to much higher temperatures that I can relate to the roast profiles in DaveC's manual. Looks like in my case running with lower volumes of beans means it works as expected. I have one more change to make which involves opening it up again and using heat proof sealant on the temp probe housing.

I don’t have the manual with me anymore, (I sold the roaster) but I am quite certain that in the manual there’s an entry which says that, with lower volume of beans, the temperature readings on the display are higher than what’s actually inside the chamber. There’s an explanation why, but I don’t remember of the top of my head.

I don’t have the manual with me anymore, (I sold the roaster) but I am quite certain that in the manual there’s an entry which says that, with lower volume of beans, the temperature readings on the display are higher than what’s actually inside the chamber. There’s an explanation why, but I don’t remember of the top of my head.

I have the manual will go have a read! I hope you are wrong ;)

Vesuvius, Mazzer Major Doserless, Genecafe, Push Tamper,Motta Leveller, Cheap scales

I have the manual will go have a read! I hope you are wrong ;)

I think this was in the “advanced” part of the guide where Dave explains how the roaster works and the optimal load.

It might also be that it’s the other way around: less beans in chamber, chamber gets hotter than the actual reading. Anyway, there’s a relationship, I just can’t remember which way that is.

You were correct!

To quote * Above a certain point, the more beans you put in the shorter the roasting time

* Below a certain point, the less beans you put in the longer the roasting time.

Briefly seems temp sensor measures air temp leaving roaster. If you have more beans less heat leaves the roaster and is absorbed by the beans. All still confusing for me as I can never get to 240. Can't hear first or second crack. The fan I use in the kitchen makes it impossible for me to determine cracks. I suspect there is a voltage issue which is impacting also. I think I am getting decent enough roasts regardless of all this and the roast times (going by colour) fall into the time frames outlined in the manual.

You're trying to get to 240?

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Is that bad?:o The manual suggest that for roasts. I had issues getting above 200 and ended up with a 230v board. With 250g I would now get it up to possibly 215 sometimes nearly 220. Dropping the amount of beans I am hitting the late 220's near the end of the roast. Dave's manual suggests one should be able to get it to very high temps within 9 mins.

You're trying to get to 240?

Is that bad?:o The manual suggest that for roasts. I had issues getting above 200 and ended up with a 230v board.

Are you in the UK? I had mine for a year or so and always for sure went over 200C. Mine was a 240V version, and my voltage was always around 234 - 236V. When the planets aligned and people turned their kettles and ovens off, I would then get 239V.

Dublin and the planets aligning think I get :o We have had a plethora of power issues even though in the centre of Dublin it seems the kit in our area is old and with a lot of multiple flats in houses the tea time thing can be funny. There is a thread somewhere on my issues! I got the error code 04 I think intermittently then it became a pita. Changed out temp sensors and fan and then the 240v board. Bella have been great it wasn't worth the effort sending the machine back and my gut feeling is local power is causing the prob if it is a prob. Strangely when I had the machine first of all it reached into the 230's and behaved as per Dave's manual. Some day I will try it elsewhere just out of curiosity.

Using one of these will answer your 'local power' questions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Energy-Cost-Meter-Plug-In-Monitor-Power-Use-Lower-Electricity-Bills-Watt-KWH-Amp/281793367903?hash=item419c318f5f:g:X8wAAOSwIABcJY99

Other brands/prices/specs available, so make sure the one you buy is suitable for the Gene's power draw!

Is that bad?:o The manual suggest that for roasts. I had issues getting above 200 and ended up with a 230v board. With 250g I would now get it up to possibly 215 sometimes nearly 220. Dropping the amount of beans I am hitting the late 220's near the end of the roast. Dave's manual suggests one should be able to get it to very high temps within 9 mins.

I don't remember that part. I vaguely remember something about timing how long it takes to heat with an empty drum to check if your element is working properly. I can't even get 240c in 9 minutes and I run it with 245v-250v usually closer to 250.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

All still confusing for me as I can never get to 240. Can't hear first or second crack. The fan I use in the kitchen makes it impossible for me to determine cracks. I suspect there is a voltage issue which is impacting also. I think I am getting decent enough roasts regardless of all this and the roast times (going by colour) fall into the time frames outlined in the manual.

Have you tried using a cardboard tube 'hearing aid' (ex kitchen foil etc) or engineers stethoscope?

Care needed near revolving drum. I found a good place to listen is the shoulder of the chaff box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mechanics-Stethoscope-Automotive-Stethoscope-Diagnostic-Tool-For-Engines-Gearbo/151664886433?hash=item234fee82a1:g:sHwAAOSwrklVQL08

Thanks lads I will investigate the 'hearing aid' ;) TBH happy with the roasts so have been lazy.

On the other posts re temps I sort of came to the view that the gene is hit and miss on the exact temps

Posted (edited)

Finally got my plug in Volt reader. Two roasts today and it fluctuates between 221-225v. First roast never got over 209c whilst second reached close to 217c but I ended it at that point. Roasts are taking 16mins or maybe 30 seconds longer. Any longer and they are very darkly roasted i.e too much close to burnt and beans become to oily.

update: Seeing voltages now in the 214-220 range. I suspect this is possibly contributing to my problem.

One observation is when I for instance roast 3 or 4 batches the later roasts get hotter or show higher temps on the display. Wondering is this maybe because by the third roast there would be a bit of chaff in the waste port maybe restricting air flow? Basically temps start getting closer and sometimes as high as 220C.

I assume the dimmer mod will not give me any more control over this given the voltages?

Another dumbo question I have a power inspired regenerator. Tempted to give this a try to see if it miraculously raises the voltage getting to the Gene;)

Edited by tonerei