Sign in to follow this  
genecaffe

Gene Caffè, the temperature rises too slowly

Good evening, I have a GC from a few days, I roasted only three lots (all of Sidamo GR2), to see the developments.

I read a lot and I understood that the temp of the GC that I read on the display is that of the outgoing air and not of the bean.

I read that many of you preheat, at 100 ° and then after 5 minutes they raise the temperature to 240 or 250 ° so far everything is ok. Then I read that after 1C the temp is lowered to 232 °, generally around the minute 11 or 12. And here's my problem, my temperature does not rise, for example at minute 8 I'm at 202 °, at 12 minute I'm at 218 ° and I reach 232 ° only at minute 18. I think there is something wrong, I do not understand. I also checked with an instrument the absorption in Volt, always ra 224 and 225, here in Italy we have the 220V, like you. I also did two tests without beans and the temperature goes up faster, for example, minute by minute 8 I got 224 °, against 202 ° with beans, at 12 minutes I got 242 ° and I reached 250 ° a minute 14.

I also tried without chaffer, (useful finally to hear 1C that generally comes to me around 15 minutes with 226 °) but things do not change. Do you have any ideas?

Edited by genecaffe

I’m not sure how “many” pre heat to 100c or at all, but probably very few. Pre heating to 100c really isn’t doing anything except for providing some consistency for back to back roasts. Your voltage is low. We have 240v+ in the uk (I tend to be around 245v) some people drop below 240v. I’m assuming you have a 230v element, based on your times I’m guessing you do because they aren’t that far out from the norm. With a 250g batch you’ll get a slower temp rise than with an empty chamber. If you’re getting FC at about 15 minutes you’re probably on the right track, you’ll just have to use the roaster a little differently I.e. do what you can regarding temp reduction and so on. Obviously you can’t reduce temp from 235c to 230c on first crack so you need to figure out what to do instead.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

In effetti ho sempre 224-225 Volt, devo solo costruire il mio profilo senza tenere conto dei molti profili letti sul forum. Devo dire che in questo modo ottengo gli arrosti in circa 19 minuti e nonostante la differenza con il tuo tempo, ho pensato che fossero imbevibili, ma sono normali, sicuramente migliorati, ma non male

Your roast is running about two or three minutes longer than mine but very little is happening to the beans before they start to turn pale and shed skin. For me this happens in 5 minutes. What’s important is the ability to control the roast at and after first crack, and no you won’t be able to follow profiles you’ve seen here but you can likely replicate things like first crack length and development time (first crack start to roast end). If you spend a lot longer moving from yellowing to first crack (say longer than 6 minutes) you might want to do things differently later in the roast but I can’t really give any advice about that, it’s probably best for you to experiment yourself as you’ll want to do different things with different beans anyway.

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

If your Gene has a 240v element you need to replace it with a 230v one.

Se il tuo gene ha un elemento 240v devi sostituirlo con un 230v. [/ QUOTE]

Non sono molto pratico, come posso fare?

Hi!i understand Italian, I speak to a decent level, but writing in Italian is not my strength.

To replace it, you’ll need to replace the whole of the heating assembly I believe. Are you sure you have a 240V element? Where did you buy it from?

Follow this guide: http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/gene-cafe-dimmer-control-mod-stage-2

I believe if you open the gene up you'll be able to see the voltage of the heating element printed somewhere (either on the cables, the assembly or the circuit board). It might also say on the box or even on any labels you have on the gene. Bottom line: you will be able to find out what voltage the element is somewhere. And I made a mistake earlier, it is a 220v replacement element not 230v (though you can also get those). I don't know where you'll be able to get hold of one. Might be worth emailing genesis directly?

There’s a rating plate at the back of the Gene. It has a bar code, a serial number, date of manufacture and the appliance voltage and wattage. Mine reads “AC 240V, 50/60Hz, 1.3KW, Apr 10, 2017”.

I'm going crazy to send a picture with my smartphone, but I confirm that on my label is written AC 240V, 50 / 60Hz 1.3 KW

but the truth is that I can not use it better except with a change? Absurd I see if I can return it, I do not spend € 500 for a product to be changed. What do you recommend?

Edited by genecaffe

Where did you buy it? I’m not too sure how the power is regulated in mainland Europe.

You need the 230v one. I am in Ireland and voltage in my house is showing 225-229v. I had problems with my Genecafe and when I got new temp probes I had problems similar to you. The profiles in the manual were unreachable. Get on to the supplier and get a 230v power supply. I also reduced the volume of beans down to 200g. It heats to higher levels now but so far does not come close to the suggested profiles in manual. But it is roasting beans fine. In the UK voltage seems to be higher than the rest of europe. You might be as low as 220v.

Vesuvius, Mazzer Major Doserless, Genecafe, Push Tamper,Motta Leveller, Cheap scales

It comes from the United Kingdom. What do you mean by I'm not sure how power is regulated in continental Europe?

What does it say in the rating plate at the back? Is it 240 or 230? Which company did you buy it from?

Sorry, just saw the post above. You should not have bought the 240V model, as this is specific for the UK, as the voltage here is in practice, 240V.

For example, on Bella Barista: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/gene-cafe-coffee-roaster-101a-240v-with-large-chaff-collector-black.html

And

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/gene-cafe-coffee-roaster-101a-230v-with-large-chaff-collector-black.html

Note the descriptions clearly state the products suitability.

The heating assembly alone will cost you £74....

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/coffee-roasters-for-sale/coffee-roasters/genecafe-230v-heater-box-cra97-003a.html

If you can, I’d get in touch to where you bought it from and discuss your options.

You need the 230v one. I am in Ireland and voltage in my house is showing 225-229v. I had problems with my Genecafe and when I got new temp probes I had problems similar to you. The profiles in the manual were unreachable. Get on to the supplier and get a 230v power supply. I also reduced the volume of beans down to 200g. It heats to higher levels now but so far does not come close to the suggested profiles in manual. But it is roasting beans fine. In the UK voltage seems to be higher than the rest of europe. You might be as low as 220v.

I believe most / all of Europe is 230v. ;) UK too but if the spec they work to is looked at it's still the same as it has always been - more like 240v. There are all sorts of reasons why it's difficult to make changes to this so the best option is for people in various countries to look for what their own suppliers provide. It will be around somewhere or the other, max and min. In the UK it's 230 -6% +10% so 242v nominal. Other parts of Europe are traditionally 220v but the same limits can be used to say that they use 230v. Best link I could find

https://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA144717/

It's an EU standard that should have been updated in 2010 (?? Not sure about date ) but wasn't. 225-229v sounds like it could be a good solid 220v supply to me.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

I believe most / all of Europe is 230v. ;) UK too but if the spec they work to is looked at it's still the same as it has always been - more like 240v. There are all sorts of reasons why it's difficult to make changes to this so the best option is for people in various countries to look for what their own suppliers provide. It will be around somewhere or the other, max and min. In the UK it's 230 -6% +10% so 242v nominal. Other parts of Europe are traditionally 220v but the same limits can be used to say that they use 230v. Best link I could find

https://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA144717/

It's an EU standard that should have been updated in 2010 (?? Not sure about date ) but wasn't. 225-229v sounds like it could be a good solid 220v supply to me.

John

-

I was under the impression when the powers that be decided to standardise the whole of the EU to 230v, they put decided a 10v variance was acceptable so the infrastructure didn't have to change.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I was under the impression when the powers that be decided to standardise the whole of the EU to 230v, they put decided a 10v variance was acceptable so the infrastructure didn't have to change.

They set a limit of -6% to +10% EU wide. In 2003 I think. The actual voltage can be important. I bought an enamelling furnace from a seller in Germany, Ebay at a rather nice price. After a month waiting for it to arrive I contacted the seller. They had to redesign the element and then test it at 240v as they were for 220v. These things run the elements at a temperature that's pretty close to them having problems so more critical than a Gene probably is but I'd guess that people who live in a traditional 220v area should buy a 220v Gene. I don't know why 230v ones were introduced other than @DavecUK was using them in the UK to allow more heat when cold air is going in.

So when a Gene is designed it should be suitable for local nominal mains voltage. There may be no need for a 230v one. Actually if we all started to have to heat our homes via electricity and nothing else a higher voltage would make more sense.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

Bringing the thread back to answer the OP's query of what is wrong, they have a 240v element in an area that has less than 240v supply so either the whole gene needs changing or a replacement 230v heater unit fitted.

The little gene is really susceptible to voltage changes even when you have the correct heating element, hence why people do the control mods to try and even some of this out (roasted 150+ kg over a few years to comment on this)

@genecaffe hopefully you will get this sorted, when you do the Gene is a lovely little roaster that just needs a little assistance to become a great little roaster.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

They set a limit of -6% to +10% EU wide. In 2003 I think. The actual voltage can be important. I bought an enamelling furnace from a seller in Germany, Ebay at a rather nice price. After a month waiting for it to arrive I contacted the seller. They had to redesign the element and then test it at 240v as they were for 220v. These things run the elements at a temperature that's pretty close to them having problems so more critical than a Gene probably is but I'd guess that people who live in a traditional 220v area should buy a 220v Gene. I don't know why 230v ones were introduced other than @DavecUK was using them in the UK to allow more heat when cold air is going in.

So when a Gene is designed it should be suitable for local nominal mains voltage. There may be no need for a 230v one. Actually if we all started to have to heat our homes via electricity and nothing else a higher voltage would make more sense.

John

-

-6% to +10% of 230v means anything from 216.2v to 253v is within spec.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It comes from the United Kingdom. What do you mean by I'm not sure how power is regulated in continental Europe?

In light of all of the information above I'd say you don't have the right to return it as you simply bought the wrong one. Shipping it back would have to come out of your pocket even if the seller did accept the return.

Bringing the thread back to answer the OP's query of what is wrong, they have a 240v element in an area that has less than 240v supply so either the whole gene needs changing or a replacement 230v heater unit fitted.

The little gene is really susceptible to voltage changes even when you have the correct heating element, hence why people do the control mods to try and even some of this out (roasted 150+ kg over a few years to comment on this)

@genecaffe hopefully you will get this sorted, when you do the Gene is a lovely little roaster that just needs a little assistance to become a great little roaster.

John

Actually he very probably needs a 220V Gene. If a 230v is too hot in 240 what do you think a 230v will do on 220?

John

-

depends on whether you can source a 220v heater in 50hz rather than the 220v 60Hz version only avaailable in the US?

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..