Sign in to follow this  
gherop

EK43 finest "coffee burrs" adjustment

I am wondering if there is a way to further adjust the factory preset "coffee burrs" of my almost new EK43S (4kg coffee since June), to get a finer grinding. The reason is that I have to use more coffee, usually between 21.5 and 23 gr in my Strada 17 basket to collect 30 gr in 27 sec, with 8.0 to 9.0 bars after a 3.0 bar pressure 4 sec line preinfusion. With my previous K30 I could get EVEN FINER grinding if I liked to increase brewing time...

I have 'old' coffee burrs which don't go as fine as the new ones apparently, and I can choke the machine easily - grinding at around 4.5 on the 3fe dial gives me about 50g out in 30 secs.

You could check the burrs are properly calibrated like this https://vimeo.com/88437220. You could also try brewing at 6 or 7 bar.

But really you need to be pulling more than 1.5x out to get the best out your EK (IMO).

I am wondering if there is a way to further adjust the factory preset "coffee burrs" of my almost new EK43S (4kg coffee since June), to get a finer grinding. The reason is that I have to use more coffee, usually between 21.5 and 23 gr in my Strada 17 basket to collect 30 gr in 27 sec, with 8.0 to 9.0 bars after a 3.0 bar pressure 4 sec line preinfusion. With my previous K30 I could get EVEN FINER grinding if I liked to increase brewing time...

As above , if you want to pull shots that short then sell the EK and buy a traditional grinder, its just not the what it is best at.

To get to sweet , sweet heaven you need to sacrifice some body for sweetness and clarity and be pulling shots at 1:2-3

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Jeebsy I followed the video and calibrated my EK43S. The result was much better. Starting with 21.5 gr I extracted 30 gr in 42 sec at 8.5 bars. Trying to increase the output to 2x result in loosing sweetness, exactly the opposite of what Mrboots2u suggested. Things are strange sometimes and coffee is not an exception...

Jeebsy I followed the video and calibrated my EK43S. The result was much better. Starting with 21.5 gr I extracted 30 gr in 42 sec at 8.5 bars. Trying to increase the output to 2x result in loosing sweetness, exactly the opposite of what Mrboots2u suggested. Things are strange sometimes and coffee is not an exception...

Coffee is fairly predictable. You're likely hitting a sweeter range of low extraction, which is fine if you like that. There might be a less interesting area as you longer, before getting into @Mrboots2u range.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

I always use 2.5 out as a starting point, going up to 3 isn't unusual.

Again if you are going to pull shots this short you don't need an Ek to get the sweetness.

Go to a ratio of 1:2.5 taste, your preference is your preference , things are strange but you should keep pushing the ratio.

Also it depends in the coffee you are using, if its towards a darker roasts then sure yeah the more you extract , the less sweet it will become.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Great film but the original track is better! ;)

Laissez les bons temps rouler

4kgs through your new burrs may not be enough yet to make any firm changes as still settling in ( assuming you haven't run an equal amount through before starting to count your 4kgs)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..