rmaya

So, I've bought this bucket of rust and dirt...

Wires look good, but if you can hold of some silicone wires with different colours you can play a bit.

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Couldn't resist from putting the controller together.

10mpmw3.jpg

Damn, this thing came out really nice (much better than the photo shows (ignore the dust on it).

Also powered the controller with temp. sensor attached. After the short boot of the controller it showed the correct room temperature and after a second or two the controller went on. I've heard some very quiet, high frequency sound (something like a phone charger when you unplug the phone from it) and also digits changed to to show the temperature that was set. Means the controller should work, how good or bad I'll be only able to determine once I have all parts with me so i could finally put this all together.

I can tell you know it will be nice machine once its done.

Edited by rmaya

You could start a business restoring these ;)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

That would mean that I would need to minimize expenses to earn money.

When doing for myself I don't mind tossing some cash on it even if they will never pay back. Just my own pleasure of restoring it and using it afterwards.

Ok. Another update.

Since most probably after the weekend I will finally get all parts back I've decided to work on gaskets today.

I can tell you those for sure have never been replaced ever before.

Here you can see the difference between new and old ones:

21lncix.jpg

Boiler gasket is in let's say OK condition but grouphead gasket is a disaster.

Took me quite some time to take it off. It's hard as rock and breaks like plastic instead of being flexible like rubber.

Shame on those who doesn't maintain their machines properly.

It's been a while now. Had no time to even look at the silvia lately.

She is getting her shape back again:

2m3g4zl.jpg

and the first shot to check if everything is working fine. Have no scale, no tamper or any other equipment other than grinder and silvia but sill the result wasn't bad:

2n6yw47.jpg

p.s. why the damn tinypic flips my photos?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37262[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]37263[/ATTACH]

Edited by The Systemic Kid

So here it is, the end of the story.

I've had lots of fun during the process of bringing it to life and learnt few new things.

Last minutes of the project were also surprising. It appeared they the temp sensor is broken - the PID was showing weird values when mashine was on for few minutes. When I was switching it off it was showing 105C as set but after replacing the sensor it showed 147C!

Anyway here is how my lil Silvia looks like now after reaching her destination point:

sxf3te.jpg

Full set ready for action. Only msj needs some upgrades like a timer and motor cover

29fro08.jpg

Edited by rmaya

Very nice, especially knobs you should replace the steam wand with v3 ;)

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Wow what a transformation, that thing looked awful.

I've had mine 4 years and used it daily and the print on the buttons on mine hasn't faded at all. That thing must have been hammered!

Looks like the efforts were well worth it

Enjoy your coffee!

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Brilliant thread, well done for all the hard work you have put into it.

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

So here it is, the end of the story.

I've had lots of fun during the process of bringing it to life and learnt few new things.

Last minutes of the project were also surprising. It appeared they the temp sensor is broken - the PID was showing weird values when mashine was on for few minutes. When I was switching it off it was showing 105C as set but after replacing the sensor it showed 147C!

Anyway here is how my lil Silvia looks like now after reaching her destination point:

sxf3te.jpg

Full set ready for action. Only msj needs some upgrades like a timer and motor cover

29fro08.jpg

Awesome thread! Great work!

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.