rmaya

So, I've bought this bucket of rust and dirt...

In the very beggining sorry for the poor english - not my native language.

Recently found some described as broken silvia. The seller posted it as a burnt heating element. Wanted to take the risk and treated it as the project hoping it could be fixed.

Here are some listing photos:

$_32.JPG?set_id=880000500F$_32.JPG?set_id=880000500F$_32.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Since its a silvia v2 i was hoping that only safety heat switch (hope its the proper name of it) went off.

when the machine arrived I've forgot to take pics of it and only took em during the disasembling process.

Edited by rmaya

First step (after removing the casing: lets open the boiler to see how bad is it.

os6a0o.jpg

Not really nice but could've been worse.

next: let's see if the heater is really broken. with the really cheap multimeter (the only i've had checked the resistance, no result on the meter would mean that it definitely have to be replaced. I was affraid of it as it would mean i had to either replace whole boiler (thats too expensive) or cut the old heater, drill holes and instal the new one. its doable but not that easy.

Anyway, buy plugging in the meter got such nice picture:

rcujh5.jpg

Means: we have the power :) the fault is elswhere.

Edited by rmaya

To be 100% sure the heating element was OK flipped it upside down filled it up with the water and plugged in for few seconds. Result: water started to heat up. That was the final confirmation for me that everything MUST be ok with the heating element.

After short inspection (should have started with that) it apeared that the heat switch went off :)

Conclusion: lets invest some time and money into this :)

Time to disasemble it completly and see how bad is it.

first look at the PID controller and we have a problem:

2ezjvi9.jpg

looks like the screw from the socket no.3 fell off somehow and did some mess with no.2

will this force me to buy a new controller? NO :)

after removing all wires, plugged in the power only and got all EEEEs on the screen. Means its alive, not much but still alive.

Edited by rmaya

Meanwhile, lets descale it. a glass of warm water +20g of citric acid:

giphy.gif

The steam pipe also needs some love:

11vi740.jpg

No idea why the producer decided for Silvia V2 and later models to change the metal grouphead cover to plastic one covered with some chrome coating. I believe its cheaper to produce but after few years it looks really bad (vide fist two photos of this topic).

Wanted it to look nicer so decided I'll plasti dip it with some matte (dont know yet what) colour.

Removed the cover and voila, the seller "forgot" to mention it also was broken. Both "legs" broke off and one was missing...

svnwwj.jpg

The picture was taken during the process of filling cracks and broken/missing elemnets with epoxy (silver metalic one).

Edited by rmaya

During the borring epoxy-ing and sanding process:

2rdvneg.jpg

While it was drying i was wondering how to fix or with what i could replace the missing "leg". Short scavenging in my daughter's room gave me a good result. Namely felt tip pen (hope she will never find out one was missing) :exit:

Cut to the size

2rdg41e.jpg

and glued in. God (or any other creature - you name it) bless the one who invented the epoxy.

2l9sh7c.jpg

I know I could've sanded the whole plastic much better but didn't want to put too much pressure on in as it felt rather fragile - guess its because it was kind of overheated during all those years.

Since the first layer of epoxy was not enough to fill all the cracks I had to make some mold that would keep the shape so I don't have to sand it too much afterwards. Solution: cottage cheese cup and sticky tape (epoxy doesnt stick to any ot those)

s3oleo.jpg

Edited by rmaya

Round one of the descaling (approx 10 mins):

2vl8ytg.jpg

the liquid in the glass shows how important the regular cleaing of the machine is.

Round 2 and final:

2h6axxl.jpg

This is acceptable now.

After many, many layers of primer and wet sanding of the grouphead cover we are nearly there:

2uf9ksg.jpg

I guess 2 more layers and we are good.

Edited by rmaya

According to the previous owner or rather his way of instaling the PID controller: how many layers of the double-sided tape you need to instal the controller?

ALL OF THEM :)

2re7bph.jpg

The frame, habitat of all evil, rust and misery of this world (silvias world).

2yvtgna.jpg

I'm guessing its the weakest point of the whole construction.

The paint peels off badly in many spots. Since its powder coated I was unable to remove the paint myself with any type of chemistry that would be in my budget.

the solution for this would be sandblasting and will go for it.

Total cost of blasting and electroplating (zinc) I was told will not exceed EUR 15 so why not having it done :) powder coat will be another EUR 15.

Edited by rmaya

While waiting for the frame (will need to wait another week - small items are not on the priority line) Miss silvia was washed and degreased. here she is waiting for new coatings.

2mq9ug6.jpg

this said it would be all folks.

Sorry for being boring and taking your preciuos time :)

Next update will follow when miss is ready to show all her beauty.

Flipping heck!! What a mess but how satisfying bring the machine back to life. Keep sharing your progress, we love a good restoration project here :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I quite enjoyed reading all this. Keep sharing your progress. :coffee:

Gaggia Classic 2010 PID(IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 Niche Zero | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

That's unexpected honestly speaking as I have no writing gift :)

By the way, this silvia is my first coffe machine project, but really enjoying it.

The next one will most probably be the coffe grinder once i find a near-death candidate that needs and deserves the restoration.

ditto , and good repair of the plastic shiggles

keep calm and grind flat

Great project. Keep the updates coming.

I wouldnt have the patience to repair with filler and pen tops but it looks like the time spent on the repair was well worth it

a grinder a lever and some beans

While waiting for the frame i want to insulate the boiler and all heat sources. After spending too much time on finding the thing which was hinding just under my nose almost gave up.

Was trying to find some super-duper sheets of high temperature protection mats but they were either very expensive or available only in big batches of 15-25square meters.

The easiest solution came to me when my wife told me that the ironing board needs new cover... Why didnt i think about it bfeore?

Went to the nearest DIY store and picked a pack of ironing padding. According to the producer its heat resistant up to 200C.

The pack would last for at least 4 silvias :)

So the next step is boiler insulation and replacement of all electric connectors insulators. the plastic that they are made off is cracked and broken and in many places its not even there.

Does anyone have a template for the boiler insulator precut?

Edited by rmaya

I've just learnt that the silvia will need to wait another 14-21 days for her new trinkets :(

There should be a “dislike” button.

Rubbish news.

just a thought, did the pid cause the overheating that damaged the wires etc, your doing such a great and detailed repair to this machine that I would hate to see you get it working and overheat again.

a lot of people fit pids with no problems then occasionally I hear of people who have their classic etc damaged by them - this may be because of a particular component fail etc, my point is that all the pid components will probably need checking and how they were installed.

keep up the good work :good:

keep calm and grind flat

Well, its a question I cannot answer yet.

Will test the PID soon and in worst case scenerio will just get rid of it.

Its the simplest auber with temp. control only. I mean it would be nice to have it but if it has to go then it has to go.

we will see.

Edited by rmaya

Not that I will sit and do nothing while waiting.

Remember this?

2rdvneg.jpg

New life, ready for instalation:

2mdnrrd.jpg

Also auber is getting new home (OK repainted only):

289k2za.jpg

Really nice job! You're quite skilled

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium