Glenn

New Sponsor: Coffee Sensor

The Coffee Sensor can be fitted to almost all E61 Groupheads

Before brewing, it will allow you to check the group head temperature

During brewing, it will show you the exact temperature throughout the entire extraction

For more information please visit https://coffee-sensor.com/

tudor.png

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Looks very much like the Vidastech, I wish my Eric's had only cost me €50

Quite a reasonable price. Very happy to see our Romanian neighbours producing these! The coffee industry there is booming.

Hello coffeeforums.co.uk members !

First off, thank you Glenn for the personal involvement into making this collaboration possible.

Yes, Coffee Sensor is from Romania.

Myself, Tudor, CEO&Founder of Coffee Sensor, am passionate about good coffee and for about an year, very interested into making this hobby visible and present in many homes across the country and worldwide.

My first machine, a Gaggia Pure, was a disaster. ALong with a manual grinder that took half an our to make the grind for just one espresso.

So the Gaggia Pure was the thing that made me very angry that i cannot make the perfect coffee at my home, with the help of my wife :)

The second machine was a Gaggia Classic and after that an ECM Giotto.

My first HX machine practically created Coffee Sensor, since i could never recreate the same taste in the cup. Had a lot of new information to learn. The machine of course was different than the SBDU from Gaggia.

After changing my tamper, after buying the most good reviewed coffee from Romania, after making the cooling flush correctly, still something was missing from the entire equation.

I read about some DIY sensors on european and on some US forum, and started to think along with my father in law, how and if we could create with the help of a manual CNC machine, a sensor that could be easily installed but affordable for customers, so they could know the idle and extraction temp from inside hx machines.

From just a hobby, i managed to sell in Romania over 100 sensors. I then realised that this product is ok, with great reviews and helped a lot of coffee enthusiasts.

Hope you trust me and believe me when i say that in the moment o created coffee sensor, i never knew about Vidastech product.

Just knew about Eric's temp sensor, but never wanted to recreate what he is producing, because for me, that sensor is way to expensive and does exactly what a 50 EUR product also does.

Plus he's from US. They don't like me or my product and even said and warned me not to get to close to some forums from their continent :)

Even so, now i can gladly mention that the Coffee Sensor is present in EU/UK, US, Canada, Israel, Australia, Arabia and so on.

Hope you guys will find out how is the sensor like and i await your questions, feedback on a newly created thread from Grinders|Machines|Accessories section.

Remember, we offer free shipping for two sensors and above in EU / UK.

Also, i have a small project started here on coffeeforums.co.uk. Thank you for that Glenn.

With the help of some lucky members,hope to have and present the results right here.

Cheers!

To help you with the answer, we just had a client that is a member here, right last week.

After receiving the product, hope to have a post regarding a feedback.

Unfortunately we had quite a few clients on ebay uk but we guess that they are not coffeeforums members in order to post here some thoughts.

If you are curious, please check our official Faceb page for pictures send from our clients and for some reviews.

Thank you !

@CoffeeSensor how much is postage to England for one sensor? If I was to put it into boiling water and it measured 100c is that an easy way to tell if it's calibrated correctly? There's not much point in owning one if there's no way of telling if it's reading the correct temp.

@CoffeeSensor how much is postage to England for one sensor? If I was to put it into boiling water and it measured 100c is that an easy way to tell if it's calibrated correctly? There's not much point in owning one if there's no way of telling if it's reading the correct temp.

It's a temperature probe so yes, it should read (very close to) 100deg in boiling water.

Cheers and thanks for the questions.

BTW, you can all call me Tudor, since i am a member here, we could speak at 2nd person.

The probe usually tend towards 100 degrees C, but in some cases, as Dylan well noted, due to stainless steel material and diode sensitivity, a little bit in minus, not in plus.

I'm not speaking of - 2 degrees, since this would be way to much in order for the product to be called temp sensor :)

I'm speaking of max 0.5-0.7 degrees. If in our tests, we find a sensor way off, we just through it away.

But we cannot test all hundreds of sensors that we sell. It's a quality check with approximation, if i said it correctly. I hope.

If any customer finds out with a few tests, even the taste test, that a sensor is way off, it will be replaced no money ask and it will have another sensor in a few days.

About the shipping, our standard shipping is 20 EUR, for about 5-7 days for the product to arrive.

For two sensors and above, we have free shipping in UK and other EU countries.

Thank you and have great extractions !

I think maybe I am the person Tudor mentioned above.

I bought one of his coffee-sensors last month, and rather than come here immediately after receiving it and gushing about the purchase it seemed better to ‘settle in’ with it and see what it would tell me about my machine.

The sensor arrived within two weeks via a standard service, it came in a small cardboard box inside a jiffy bag and all intact. Included were a small pressed steel wrench which fits the sensor and an Allan key which removes the grub screw in the E61 group head. Fitting is very simple and took less than a minute, once fitted the device can be rotated so that it is correctly oriented.

So after fitting the machine was switched on and after the obligatory 30 mins wait I was disappointed to see the temp was a lowly 84C. I left it for another half hour and saw no change. Flushing the group, the temp rose a little c.91-92 and settled back. The sensor had already proven a worthwhile purchase, and I contacted Tudor to verify what I was seeing was likely correct. He responded very quickly on several occasions via email and we discussed the best way forward. Steady boiler pressure was between 1.0 and 1.1 bar.

I did a full descale before changing anything mechanical inside the machine. The temperature at the group afterwards was unchanged. So I then cranked up the pressure switch to around 1.3 bar. This after an idle time of 30-40 minutes of switching on resulted in flash boiling at the group head when the flow was started and the coffee-sensor indicating a temperature of 102-103C. This soon, within 6-7 seconds, dropped towards the high mid 90’s.

Looking at the gas laws calculations and I now figure I probably could drop the pressure switch down to around 1.23 to 1.25 bar and shorten the cooling flush.

So most importantly, the coffee. I have always had a preference for lighter roasted coffees, particularly Kenyan and Ethiopian, so I have possibly been enjoying a little more acidity (read under-extracted?) in the cup than others. To be honest, the change has not made as big a difference in taste as I have been led to believe from words written around the web (based on my current coffee), but it has possibly removed some sourness from the cup and it has been interesting and I will continue to use the sensor with it fitted in place.

The coffee-sensor for me has been a good purchase, having been unable to justify the cost of the alternatives. Of course I cannot do a side by side comparison with the others which probably would be a bit pointless anyway. I believe it is accurate given the brief flash boiling from the group head. Perhaps the biggest question to be asked is ‘why do I think I need one?’ – I remember checking my old Gaggia classic a few years ago with polystyrene cups and a milk thermometer stuck through the side. Perhaps the cup would / should have been my starting point this time, it worked but it is certainly not as convenient as the coffee-sensor, nor does it measure a flow of water with the fast response, rather a pool after it has passed through the group.

Finally, the size of the coffee-sensor is pleasingly smaller than I thought it would be, approximately the same diameter as a UK 50p coin.

If you are thinking of buying such a device I would give a thumbs up to this one based on its value and the support that Tudor gave to me.

Hi and thank you so much Syenitic for the true feedback.

I was referring to a lot of other users and UK members in general that bought our sensor, so they could have some spare time and post here their opinion about the sensor.

Your feedback is as good as 10 of others :)

As i posted in AU, on another forum:

We have been very busy this time of year and we are preparing for Black Friday as everybody i guess.

About the readings Coffee Sensor can offer:

Users can get a static reading, but as we i saw from hundreds of hx, only from dual boiler machines. Their stability is just great.

Once you have resolve the cold nose problem, usually within extraction, you can see a static 90-92 degress on the sensor with no problem.

The single boiler machines are not so stable and you really do need to learn your own machine patterns in order to better understand the working temps.

We know a fact that it's tempting to only watch at the LCD readings and think that that is really the temp from inside the puck, but our sensor as others E61 accessories, has to be used in conjunction with other info that you need to learn at any HX machine, like sounds, visual details, taste and very important, the moment in which you start the extraction.

There are in general two situations in which you can get in:

1. The water from the boiler is hotter than the group, in a case where the sensor indicates a temp higher than the one from inside the puck

2. The water from the boiler is colder than the group temp, so you will see lower temp on the sensor but inside the puck you will get a little bit higher temp.

All this can be solved by a longer warm up and a correct cooling flush / cold nose.

Also, i want to attach proof from one our customer that the sensor is very exact (has good calibration) and shows correct readings, by indicating the exact same temp as a thermocouple:

We had some new customers that wanted to know how exact is our thermometer...

IMG-20181025-WA0001.jpg

Cheers !

Had this sensor on my E61 Vesuvius for a few weeks now. It is a dual boiler, PID with pressure profiling. It has programmable offset which is set to 13C so should lose this amount when water travels from boiler to grouphead.

Using a homemade Scace this is spot on when I tested in my kitchen at 19c ambient.

The things I look at on the sensor are idle temp. This tells me when the group is up to temp so that the machine is ready to use. The steam and brew boilers are up to temp in about 15 mins but it is 40-45 (without flushing to speed up) before the group is ready. Without the sensor difficult to see.

When pulling a shot the temp goes on mine 1.2c above the temp I set on the PID initially then down to around the PID temp. The important thing is the pattern of temp changes as being a dual boiler there is no temp surfing.

I use the machine at a Farmers market which is outside. I will use the sensor to ensure the brew temp is as it was in my kitchen ambient temps. If it is only 8c ambient (not so far) I will adjust the target temp higher to ensure that the temp at the sensor is the same as I get at home, ensuring that the coffee brew temp is consistant.

I checked the temp shown on the sensor before I installed with two other probes I have, a Thermapen and Ktype, and they were all consistant. If you have an E61 HX machine I would definitely recommend to get one. With a PID’d Dual Boiler not so sure of the need once you know start up time, but if your ambient do vary then yes.Installation was a breeze and easily reversible.

One other thing is customer service. The sensor was sent via tracked delivery. Mine arrived in the UK after a few days but was ‘stuck’ in the Parcelforce international hub in Coventry fo almost 2 weeks going nowhere. I contacted Tudor and without hesitation he sent another one in the post. Sod’s law they both arrived within a day of each other so one was returned but customer service only shows when things go wrong so their response was excellent.

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

Has anyone bought one of these yet and can share their experiences with it?

Yes I’ve had the vidastech on my ecm mechanika profi for over a year now - though I bought mine from outside the country.

Well made and fit for purpose - there’s no way I would have fine tuned my flush technique without it. Every e61 hx should have one :-)

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Hello guys.

We await you for our 3 day Black Friday with a special price for those who want a cheap and reliable E61 group thermometer.

The special price will be available from 16 to 18 Nov.

Thanks and keep in touch !

Thanks, should we just check on your website or will you let us know when it starts?

Rocket Evoluzione R 2017 | Niche Zero | VST 18g Ridgeless | Acaia Pearl | TORR 58.55mm

Thanks, should we just check on your website or will you let us know when it starts?

I am thinking, for the price of your scales, you could buy 3 of Tudors sensors at normal price. I found the one I bought of great use in not only diagnosis of a low temp HX, but in learning to understand the sounds it makes vs temperature at the group.

I seen it said, such a temp sensor opens a can of worms and others say it squashes ignorance. I am in the latter camp. 'I think' my coffee has benefited from fitting one.

I think its really important to understand how your HX is managing the temp of the group. Most HX machines require a flush and knowing how much you need to flush to get to the optimal brew temp varies machine to machine. The only way to be sure of this is to get a temp sensor.

Even when spending over £100 on the Eric's I feel it was worth it - at this price I think its an essential no brainer - the Black Friday discount (whatever it is) will only sweeten that deal.

Hi guys.

We've started the BF campaign.

We offer 30% off for our customers for 3 days.

Of course, the discount is from the real sale price, so one sensor is 35 EUR now...

The new price is already available on our website.

For two sensors and above, we have free shipping in UK and other EU countries.!

Trying to buy two sensors but shipping is always 20€.

Hi and thanks for the question.

The condition on which the free shipping is set up is to have a min order of 100 EUR. The info is written on the second banner on our website.

So, now for BF campaign, the price is 35 EUR per unit, so 2 units are under 100 EUR (70 EUR), so the condition cannot be activated.

For this occasion, we can offer 10 EUR shipping (a little bit slower option) and the BF discount for two units.

If that is OK for you, we await further info from you so we could finalize the order.

The total should be 70+10 for two sensors, including shipping.

Thanks.

Hi Guys.

We already announced on a lot of forums that fact that 2019 will be an interesting year.

We are working on our Pro Version of the sensor, trying to create also a lot of new products.

We will keep you updated on the changes and will post as soon as possible, i hope, the new sensor live on our website.

Hi,

This morning my coffee sensor suddenly showed no reading. It turned on okay and showed a temperature for a few minutes before showing “- - - -“

It’s been working fine and is only a few months old. It still turns on and off okay, but with no reading.

Is this a sign it needs a battery?

Photo below

daef561299be74df8fb33259e44ba429.jpg

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

Please send me your contact details using PM. We can solve this, if not at your location, will just send another sensor, maybe the new model J

Cheers.