Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Needs descaled

My Melitta Varianza is telling me "descaling needed".

1. I'm confused as to why this is, I used the supplied water hardness test and it barely even registered on the softest water setting. Also, I know we have ultra soft water as the technician (when installing our instrument autoclaves) said we don't need any sort of filter as the water in Aberdeen is very soft.

2. What should I use for descaling purposes now?

3. What do I do now to prevent the need for descaling in the future?

Home 1 -- Melitta Varianza CSP

Home 2 -- Lido 3 & 2012 Gaggia Classic (modded)

Outside -- Porlex mini (modded) & Aeropress

might be wrong but most a machines just pompt for descale after a set amount of uses regardless of whether or not scale has built up, example maybe after 200 drinks made a machine is programmed to prompt descale. if you are sure you using very soft water, try just running the descale programme with plain water should get rid of the descale prompt.

If you steam you will get deposits building up wherever the water is heated for that unless the machine flushes it out each time the function is used (it might well)... You need to use a citric acid solution or something similar to descale.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Sorry what do you mean if I steam?

Can I not just buy those tablets for descaling? The citric acid solution, do I need to make this, or I can buy it?

The Varianza has a water hardness setting, if your water is soft ensure it's set to minimum....if your kettle never shows signs of limescale then your safe enough to simply run the descaling routine, but with water only. If you get a tiny bit of scale in the kettle over time, then perhaps ever other time run the routine with descaler in.

It doesn't measure hardness, it just uses a shot count/hot water count with time. So it will always come up with a descaling message sooner or later depending on hardness setting and not whether the water is actually soft or not.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Yes I did set the water hardness to minimum.

And correct, I've never had any limescale whatsoever in my kettle.

I thought it was actually detecting limescale, phew.

Thank you, again :)

Which descaler would you recommend, if ever I needed to use it @DavecUK?

Usually bean to cup machines are descaled via the hot water outlet and the water heated via a thermoblock type arrangement rather than a boiler. ;) I'm not @DavecUK but would have thought citric acid would be a very poor choice as the contact time isn't long enough. Durgol is intended for this sort of machine or sort something out which is similar that comes as a powder. Durgol's video will show you why citric acid would be a poor choice. Melitta probably offer their own as well. Durgol assumes that these machines use stainless where they should so their descaler should be safe.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Which descaler would you recommend, if ever I needed to use it @DavecUK?

Probably the Melitta one to be safest.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Or a sachet of Puly Baby Descaler...."once a year"...

What do you mean by "once a year"?

Puly is unlikely to be as aggressive as the Meletta one. It's ok on aluminium boilers. Durgol etc isn't. The culprit is sulphamic acid and the Melitta one is likely to contain it as well. Sage also include it in their own descaler.

Mmmmm. However I'm wrong Melitta state that it only contains citric acid. Just checked but on the other hand they may be offering a choice. Not sure what the 2nd one is for.

https://sichdatonline.chemical-check.de/Dokumente/279/InciD/EN/13979.pdf

https://sichdatonline.chemical-check.de/Dokumente/279/InciD/EN/14016.pdf

They are all on this page

https://www.melitta.co.uk/en/Information-on-formulas-570.html

Maybe they are effectively setting a more frequent descale than could be used with other descalers. I have very soft water here but scale does still accumulate. Several years of use of the same kettle left very thin coats of it on hot spots over the concealed element. It took a fruit acid based descaler rather long time to remove them. Then I thought using the kettle as check when to descale wasn't such a good idea as steam generation in a thermocoil is very likely to leave more.

Descalers that contain sulphamic acid do need some care in use. Eye contact, breathing in dust and even skin contact but it has pretty low toxicity which is why it's used in some descalers at fairly low concentrations - in most cases. It seems there is one "professional" one that contains nothing else.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

* Run the descale programme with water only, when your m/c tells you to.

* use your kettle as the scale detector.

* When scale is detected in the kettle, run the descale prog. with a sachet of descaler eg Puly Baby.

* In any case, run an acid descale once a year - descaler acid is also a good sanitiser for reservoirs & waterways.

RELAX - you're in a very soft water area !!

* Run the descale programme with water only, when your m/c tells you to.

* use your kettle as the scale detector.

* When scale is detected in the kettle, run the descale prog. with a sachet of descaler eg Puly Baby.

* In any case, run an acid descale once a year - descaler acid is also a good sanitiser for reservoirs & waterways.

RELAX - you're in a very soft water area !!

Thank you!! :)

I was all relaxed until the machine gave me that message, but then it was clearly a misunderstanding on my part where I thought the machine actually detected limescale rather than based on the number of shots.