Doc_Shultz

My Gaggia Classic and Breville Smart Grinder Pro setup

I have our 1998 Classic on a rollout caddy, which makes refilling convenient. I replaced the steam wand with a Silvia V1 and my next project is to install a PID in the near future. Interesting fact, when I first purchased the unit about a year ago from a couple that has used it about 3 times in the 19 years they had owned it, I quickly discovered something was not "right" with our unit, as there was a small current leak that would shock me every time I would touch the body of the machine, and then touch something else (often my forearm would touch the side of my stainless refrigerator). After some head scratching and some careful investigating, I discovered that the polarity of our unit had been reversed from the factory. I switched the pos and neg wires, and there is no longer a problem.

Espresso Setup.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. That's a very smart looking Classic - it looks like new. PID is a popular and effective upgrade - and well done for solving your electric issues!

GS3, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Neat and tidy set up, welcome to the forum a mind of information to draw on and plenty of willing helpers.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

I'm getting the smart grinder pro today then i will have the sane setup. Let us know how the PID upgrade goes for you as that is my next project too.

Looks good! Thinking of getting a second hand Gaggia Classic myself, but based in Ireland so they are thinner on the ground...

Looking good. I'm after a classic and will be carrying out the PID upgrade

sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is a PID upgrade? I am looking at getting a gaggia classic with an electric grinder too.

Gaggia Classic pre 2015

Iberital MC2

A PID controls the boiler temp much more accurately than the Classic's inbuilt thermostat which wavers by a few degrees.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

One technique used by Classic owners and, come to that, Silvia owners too is temp surfing.

[video=youtube;IYMF9yY-TR0]

One technique used by Classic owners and, come to that, Silvia owners too is temp surfing.

[video=youtube;IYMF9yY-TR0]

Wow this looks complicated! So much info without even going in to brewing time and grind size and ratios etc.

Is that temperature surfing an alternative to installing a PID?

Gaggia Classic pre 2015

Iberital MC2

A PID will control temp variation much more accurately. Temp surfing is a rough and ready technique that doesn't cost anything.

I have managed to make a lovely drink time after time on the Gaggia AS LONG AS it is the first and only drink within a few hours. If this is suitable for you, reply and I will list my method.

A PID will control temp variation much more accurately. Temp surfing is a rough and ready technique that doesn't cost anything.

It would be interesting to read your method

Gaggia Classic pre 2015

Iberital MC2

No real method. To get best consistency, run water to force temp sensor to make boiler element switch on ( light on) then wait till it goes off and pull your shot. Not as accurate as a PID but, arguably, better that nothing.

I do the same. Although my gaggia classic light switches off when the sensor is on, so I wait until the light goes back on and then I pull my shot.