jimdoc

Sage Barista Touch Problems- New Member. Please help.

I recently got a Sage Barista Touch as a birthday present. I have wanted one on these machines for a while and was delighted in getting it. The instructions say that when you press the brew button it should not start to pour until 8-12 seconds and it should run like warm honey. I have been messing about with settings and double and single filters but don,t get anywhere near this. Mine start to drip at 3 seconds and runs for 25 seconds. this leaves about a centimeter of coffee on the cup (for a latte). I use fresh coffee beans and pre-heat the filter and cup. I think I may have a faulty machine but don't want to make a fool of myself and take it back to John Lewis if I am not doing something right. Please help.

How does the coffee look/ taste? What you have described doesn't sound like a total disaster- maybe try adjusting the grinder one notch finer and see if that helps. If there is little crema and the coffee tastes sour, a finer grind should help. I used to own a Barista Express (less automated version of the Barista Touch), so a more manual approach might help as you learn to get to grips with the machine. If you don't have scales which measure ideally to 0.1 of a gram, then get hold of some as your first priority! Try to weigh out 18g of beans, add them to the grinder and just grind that amount. Tamp and lock the portafilter into place. I believe there should be some sort of manual override to be able to start and stop the brewing process when you choose. Try to extract 40g of coffee and time the extraction from when the pump starts, not when the first drops of espresso appear. If it takes much longer than 30 seconds, adjust the grind to be coarser and try again. If much less than 25 seconds, then adjust the grind finer. Try to use the same tamping pressure every time to take away that variable. The numbers I have quoted are not absolutes- they are just a starting guide- different coffees will taste better at different brew ratios/ extraction times and you will have a personal preference as well.

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Excellent advice from Dumnorix.

ACS Minima Beta, Mini Vivaldi, Casadio Enea grinder, ROC grinder, Niche Zero

Thanks for the tips Dumronix. I will get a set of scales and see how I get on from there.

Thanks once again.

No problem, let us know how it goes.

Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Hi there, I've just got myself a Barista Touch and from John Lewis, experiencing the same issue. No matter how much I adjust the grind and/or grind time the coffee starts to drip at 3-4 seconds. How did you get on with the advice given here?

Hi there, I've just got myself a Barista Touch and from John Lewis, experiencing the same issue. No matter how much I adjust the grind and/or grind time the coffee starts to drip at 3-4 seconds. How did you get on with the advice given here?

Hi sounds quick. what beans are you using?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

It doesn’t look like the op came back to the thread. Maybe start a new thread, give a good description of what’s happening etc and someone will no doubt be able to help.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Hi, I have the same problem. Did you get any advice? I'm . diving myself a little crazy trying to fix it.